What was life like in the 1970's?

Page 5 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2018, 11:55 pm

gee, i'll have to dig out my bicentennial quarters. I never knew how valuable they were! :o

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2018, 9:50 am

What do you remember most about this decade?

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2018, 10:26 am

LegoMaster2149 wrote:
What do you remember most about this decade?

Being born (well, they say i was born then).

At maby 2 years old: Sitting in a playpen on wheels, tinkering with shaped bits that was supposed to go into a toy, i just pulled it apart like the grownups did and put the parts in. Was much easier.

My 5th birthday, i invited friends over and we had cake. Mom said it was a big deal to become 5.

Eating cod with egg sauce. I used to love that.

I remember a TV with some touch feature (one had to walk up to the TV and change channels then), my dad said that i broke it with my sticky fingers and we got a normal TV with buttons.

I remember looking out of the window and seeing a guy get run over by a car. My father called in to the municipal roadworks and kept on doing so, eventually there was a pedestrial crossing there later on. It is still there as of 2018. Can't remember any more accidents happening.

In 1980 we moved to another town, but before that in 79 i think, we used to drive around looking at houses, even visited a house that was the model that we built later on. I was involved in every aspect of building that house, i helped my father with plumbing, raising walls, painting the outside, putting up wallpaper, building stairs, a balcony, filling the property with earth and sowing a lawn. I even got to follow the electrician around and pull cables through the plastic pipes, but that was as far as i were allowed to work. While my contribution was small, i can say that i learned lots from that. Of course most of this happened after December 1979, but the idea, planning and financing started in 79. My father were already an accomplished housebuilder, i've found old Super 8 videos of him doing that.

As i mentioned in the 80's thread, TV and Radio were extremely restricted and the few occasions that we could hear music it was maybe an hour or so per week. Most of the time we could listen to radio and hear music that way. Recording music on tape was common.

Star wars came out it late in the decade, was like unlike we had ever seen.

Me and my father used to drive out to the airbase and watch fighters take off and land. And one time we got to visit the airbase, see the simulator and everything. The airbase later became now a museum and you can even sit inside some of the fighter jets i used to admire as a child. They even have simulators there now, build around MS Flight simulator with controller boards hooked up to instruments. Really cool experience.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2018, 8:54 pm

it was my first exposure then, to multichannel sound in the cinema. first at Disneyland, then at my local town cinema showing "Fantasia" in 4-track sound.