Page 6 of 53 [ 847 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 53  Next

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 10:23 am

MidlifeAspie wrote:
I also wouldn't say this sticky has taken off. There have been two subjects raised, and I raised the first one just to start conversation. A forum would not last long with 2 threads in it.

Yup....
ToughDiamond wrote:
But in my experience, men's groups don't usually take off.

Men are all the same. :cry:

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 4:52 pm

MidlifeAspie wrote:
I also wouldn't say this sticky has taken off. There have been two subjects raised, and I raised the first one just to start conversation. A forum would not last long with 2 threads in it.

Ridiculous. I have mentioned more than two subjects myself. But one thread can't do s**t. This is a bad way of testing the potential activity level of an actual forum.

ToughDiamond wrote:
Quote:

I don't understand the negativity. If you don't agree with a forum for men, then don't post here and make such negative posts. Go have fun discussing your personal issues with your female teachers and advisers in the women's forum if that's what you want.

Mark198423
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 5:21 pm

Although there have been more than two questions asked in here, only two have recieved more than a couple of responses. I think it's quite clear that there's not enough within this thread to convince Alex.

It is difficult to post about many subjects in one thread but it's the best anyone other than Alex can give so you just have to go with it!

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 7:01 pm

Half a dozen pages of discussion in how short a time? In an improper format even? I say it does still have potential and there should be a Men's subforum if there is a Women's subforum. How much do the present denizens of this forum seem likely to cause another Great Flame War, or GFW II or whatever? I think that it is unlikely, and the flame war was the reason Alex mentioned for hesitancy, and as such the tendency towards incendiary conversation - even with the proposal of controversial topics - has not been demonstrated. So, I say there ought to be a Men's subforum and the indicated reason for the former Men's subforum's removal is imperceptible at the very least so there is no reason for it not to be created.

billmeister
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Mar 2011, 10:34 pm

So, any gearheads around here?

I'm doing a ground-up buildup of a mid-90's Ford full size truck. I know the details on these truck almost down to every wire, nut and bolt. It gives me something to keep my hands and mind busy, as well as much needed alone time.

ikorack
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 2:09 am

[img][800:542]http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/2458/screenshot1ao.png[/img]

[img][800:550]http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/9843/screenshot2wf.png[/img]

men should, men shouldn't, Google auto complete, discuss?

EDIT: I have no idea how long images last on image shack so my apologies if they go poof.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 6:17 pm

You know, I noticed something now that I've given it a good thought.

Aspie men are more successful romantically if they are of the submissive type because, at least, the girls who love being dominant are easily attracted to such men.

On the other hand, being of the opposite type makes it very hard for an Aspie to be in a relationship because no girl who loves a man she can look up to and admire and rely on wants someone who is socially ret*d as she can't rely on him at all when it comes to social matters.

I can confirm this with my own personal experiences and observations. Submissive males (just like women) have it easier than men who are in control because a man in control is also expected to be of a high (or at least good enough) social status. Aspies have a hard time attaining a high status within society. It's not impossible, though.

Who agrees with me?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 5:24 am

MCalavera wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
Quote:

I don't understand the negativity. If you don't agree with a forum for men, then don't post here and make such negative posts. Go have fun discussing your personal issues with your female teachers and advisers in the women's forum if that's what you want.

I was only joshing. I thought it was vaguely amusing to say "men are all the same" when I'm a man, because that's what women often say about us. And I think it's OK to post on a single-thread men's group sticky to say that a men's forum would be a waste of time. It's not as if I were saying the sticky is a waste of time.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 7:09 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
MCalavera wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
Quote:

I was only joshing. I thought it was vaguely amusing to say "men are all the same" when I'm a man, because that's what women often say about us. And I think it's OK to post on a single-thread men's group sticky to say that a men's forum would be a waste of time. It's not as if I were saying the sticky is a waste of time.

NO IT'S NOT!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! ! I SHALL DESTROY YOUR HOMEWORLD FROM ORBIT!! ! Ummm... coordinates please?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 8:56 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
NO IT'S NOT!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! ! I SHALL DESTROY YOUR HOMEWORLD FROM ORBIT!! ! Ummm... coordinates please?

:lol:

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 9:24 am

billmeister wrote:

I'm doing a ground-up buildup of a mid-90's Ford full size truck. I know the details on these truck almost down to every wire, nut and bolt. It gives me something to keep my hands and mind busy, as well as much needed alone time.

I don't know if I'm a gear head ( at least an enthusiast) but I within the last five months installed a new ring and and pinion and limited slip differential. I drove for several years with this and I swore I'd never own a open differential type vehicle again. This F 150 was 'open' in the rear and having a 8foot bed spelled poor traction in sand or snow.

I thought the job was physically difficult due to not having removed the entire axle and working on a bench; instead lifting the truck up to where you could sit Indian style underneath the bed and do the work. Driving the inner pinion race in was difficult here. And setting the preload on the crush washer was nearly impossible due to lack of clearance. I impacted it down and used a 4ft breaker bar for leverage to fine tune it and stood on the end of the this bar to finalize the torque. This was just enough to set the bearing preload...just enough force/ weight to do this.

I've done complete air conditioning work from compressor changes to evaporator changes to removing orifice tube restrictions, dryer installs, etc.
I know or have a understanding of how it all works from the top down.

I've done complete 2 engine overhauls( less machine shop work. i.e. boring cylinders). One with high performance parts. This engine had a broken piston ring so it was necessary at least from a overhaul standpoint.

I dont know if I overall enjoyed this, but the knowledge gained is a nice benefit and it makes a car a simple thing to me....(less a transmission.)

One thing I never touched is a transmission.

Most everything else Ive been in to.

billmeister

14 Mar 2011, 8:09 pm

Mdyar wrote:
billmeister wrote:

I don't know if I'm a gear head ( at least an enthusiast) but I within the last five months installed a new ring and and pinion and limited slip differential. I drove for several years with this and I swore I'd never own a open differential type vehicle again. This F 150 was 'open' in the rear and having a 8foot bed spelled poor traction in sand or snow.

I thought the job was physically difficult due to not having removed the entire axle and working on a bench; instead lifting the truck up to where you could sit Indian style underneath the bed and do the work. Driving the inner pinion race in was difficult here. And setting the preload on the crush washer was nearly impossible due to lack of clearance. I impacted it down and used a 4ft breaker bar for leverage to fine tune it and stood on the end of the this bar to finalize the torque. This was just enough to set the bearing preload...just enough force/ weight to do this.

I've done complete air conditioning work from compressor changes to evaporator changes to removing orifice tube restrictions, dryer installs, etc.
I know or have a understanding of how it all works from the top down.

I've done complete 2 engine overhauls( less machine shop work. i.e. boring cylinders). One with high performance parts. This engine had a broken piston ring so it was necessary at least from a overhaul standpoint.

I dont know if I overall enjoyed this, but the knowledge gained is a nice benefit and it makes a car a simple thing to me....(less a transmission.)

One thing I never touched is a transmission.

Most everything else Ive been in to.

Whoo-hoo!! Another guy around here that turns wrenches as a hobby! I am well aware of the "one wheel peel" affliction. My Ford super duty was an open diff, and I managed to find a limited slip carrier when it chunked the ring gear. I was in the same boat as you, laying under the truck, or sitting cross-legged with my head where the spare tire sits. :lol:

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 11:55 pm

billmeister wrote:
Whoo-hoo!! Another guy around here that turns wrenches as a hobby! I am well aware of the "one wheel peel" affliction. My Ford super duty was an open diff, and I managed to find a limited slip carrier when it chunked the ring gear. I was in the same boat as you, laying under the truck, or sitting cross-legged with my head where the spare tire sits.

8) ^

I've put 130k miles on this truck so far, and this gear set would always" drone/whine" on decel/coast from 45 to 35. And it did this from day one when I bought it used with only 7000 miles. It was noticeable but not a red flag.

With the overhaul, I measured the backlash and it was way out @ .020 ( range is .008-012), but the ring gear was way off in run out too; it varied .005. It's as if you were watching it rotate edgewise, it would 'wobble' in and out in that one part of the gear. A safe bet it was a defective casting from Ford.

But overall the truck has had only one minor emission related problem...I can't complain as it has been very reliable.

I bought the differential on EBay and it was rebuilt unit with a 4 clutch pack instead of the usual 3 set up. In theory this makes it hook up tighter.

The breakaway torque is around 95ft pounds.

Best upgrade I've done.

If the world doesn't fall apart by next fall I will buy better and wider tires for traction.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2011, 5:49 pm

billmeister wrote:

Not so much with me, although my dad and I had worked on building a skill level 3 model of a V8 engine and I usually do the checking of antifreeze and oil, replacing of lights, and other low risk maintenance of my wife's car. We have a pretty good mechanic who is, unlike many, actually honest.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2011, 6:11 pm

Here are some 5 shot (60 yard) groups with the high tech pellet rifle. Crosswind wind was blowing and most are off center of bullseye.

They are one inch groups with 21 and 29 grain pellets @ 1080 and 1000 feet per second.

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 7:51 am

If you ask me, there is nothing manlier than standing up for one's principles.