Do you want movies to be more realistic?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

you want movies to
stay the way they are 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
be more realistic, what people would do while taking into consideration there might be consequences, like jail 50%  50%  [ 5 ]
show situations where people can get away with something, and see what they'd do 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 10

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2014, 12:01 am

does it bother you that movies sweetens reality and sugarcoats people? they even show violent criminals as people with a conscious. the end is always good. people are mostly unselfish, and everyone finds true love.

it bothers me to watch a program like 'cops' on tv, when i know the cops are acting nicer than they would otherwise, if the tv camera wasnt there.

if anything, i'd like to see what people would do if they thought they could get away with things, break the law without being caught. and see who would take that opportunity and who wouldnt. and who would run after you when you drop your purse, and who would keep the money if sure he's not seen. i mean in real life, not a movie claiming this is what people would do. just put real people in those situations, sort of a test.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2014, 2:34 pm

humans can be quite monstrous when no holds are barred, just look at history. the veneer of civilization is mightily thin indeed. that said, I do not care to see the ugliness of society reflected back at me from a screen. I won't volunteer to subject myself to such. I know how bad people can be. on another type of realism, I'm all for high frame rate projection, sorta like the 48 frames per second that is used in IMAX HD as well as in the most recent hobbit movie. 24 frames per second is so coarse and grainy to my eyes. movies IMHO would look A LOT BETTER if they were all recorded at high frame rate. the elimination of judder would improve the viewing experience an make for dramatically enhanced realism.

downbutnotout
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 2:44 am

If movies were just like reality, what would be the point? There is such a thing as lazy storytelling, though.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 3:03 am

downbutnotout wrote:
If movies were just like reality, what would be the point? There is such a thing as lazy storytelling, though.

the point would be that an alternate reality is being presented for our entertainment, in the old sense of the word meaning showing us something new and different to make us think. 8)

downbutnotout
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 3:06 am

auntblabby wrote:
downbutnotout wrote:

the point would be that an alternate reality is being presented for our entertainment, in the old sense of the word meaning showing us something new and different to make us think. 8)

But if it was just like reality, then it wouldn't be new and different? I've seen the way things work in everyday life far too much for there to be anything thought-provoking.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 5:59 am

downbutnotout wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
downbutnotout wrote:

But if it was just like reality, then it wouldn't be new and different? I've seen the way things work in everyday life far too much for there to be anything thought-provoking.

it may be "just like reality" but inevitably it will have a slant in one way or another, it is that slant that is being presented to us for our study.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

23 Nov 2014, 6:03 am

How about a range of things? Gritty reality is interesting sometimes but other times its nice to just get away.

King_oni
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Nov 2014, 7:19 am

Perhaps it has to do with the type of movies you watch as well.

Though I agree, I would actually like to see bad guys win... that seems to be the consensus of reality anyway. I mean; it's only in movies where corrupt politicians are all exposed, lol.

What you, the OP, are addressing is something that IMO is more suited in documentary style things, rather than a movie. It also makes me wonder who'd be interested in seeing it and paying for it. (but given the type of movies that are box office hits, nothing would surprise me)

Transyl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 2:15 pm

People do terrible things all the time in current movies and shows. If anything I could do with more positivity.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 5:40 pm

I don't watch movies much, but since I've started reading TV Tropes and watching Cinema Sins, all the stuff I didn't notice or cared about in some movies I can't help noticing and wondering about and I can never see it the same way again. Even animated movies like Beauty and the Beast,which is IMO the most epic Disney movie ever, and TV Tropes had to pick apart the plot holes about how in the "Be Our Guest" song it's mentioned it's been ten years since they had anyone at the castle. Since the rose was supposed to bloom until the Prince's 21st birthday, that must mean he was only 11 when he was turned into a beast. But he doesn't appear to be that young in the intro to the story. And why were his servants turned into objects? They didn't seem to have been mean to the Enchantress like the prince had been. Even when I first watched the movie I realized these things, but I was like "Seriously, who cares?" Apparently a lot of nitpickers- I mean people. :lol:

One thing I can't stop thinking about however, is how sewers are always really spacious and air vents big enough to crawl through, which also happens a lot in video games.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 5:41 pm

King_oni wrote:
Perhaps it has to do with the type of movies you watch as well.Though I agree, I would actually like to see bad guys win... that seems to be the consensus of reality anyway. I mean; it's only in movies where corrupt politicians are all exposed, lol.

in real life [as opposed to "reel" life] the bad guys seem to win all the time. I would like my movies to be an escape from that ugly mundane reality.

skysaw
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 4:38 pm

felinesaresuperior wrote:
does it bother you that movies sweetens reality and sugarcoats people? they even show violent criminals as people with a conscious. the end is always good. people are mostly unselfish, and everyone finds true love.

it bothers me to watch a program like 'cops' on tv, when i know the cops are acting nicer than they would otherwise, if the tv camera wasnt there.

I hardly ever watch modern movies, so I can't say much about them, but I find that modern TV dramas often do the exact opposite of sugarcoating reality. I'm talking about all those dark shows where every nice suburb has some serial killer masquerading as a normal, friendly neighbour and so on!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 5:07 pm

the censorship needs to stop, the various movie ratings organizations the world over are really in the business of backhanded censorship.