How can people enjoy angering others?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

111chuckybabu
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Mar 2010, 3:05 pm

There's something I come across a lot, especially on the internet: people deriving pleasure from upsetting and/or angering someone. I can't wrap my head around it. How do they get enjoyment out of this? Do they have to be angry beforehand to enjoy it? I don't think they are sadists because I see it so often among people who are normal otherwise.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2010, 5:27 pm

I don't know. It does seem to be fairly typical behaviour. I'll just add weight to your question; someone tell us!

sinsyokka
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2010, 5:33 pm

i dont understand why people like to do such pathetic things for their enjoyment, people like theses normally have nothing better to do, but remember those are the type of people who will miss out on alot.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2010, 5:33 pm

you can exercise power over others with no threat of reprisal. Bullies online....

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2010, 5:43 pm

That's something that I was never able to understand. Are some people really that mean, that they have to do that, over the Internet? If the 2010s are going to be shaped by people like that, than I want my time machine, now.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2010, 5:48 pm

It gives them a sense of power, but it's false power.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2010, 6:25 pm

They just do. There's no deep reason behind it, they're just stupid.

The year is still young.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2010, 8:18 pm

My brother enjoys doing this to parents a lot. He says they act funny when they're mad. :?

111chuckybabu
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Mar 2010, 9:10 pm

Ambivalence wrote:

But if I just did it to someone, I would get no enjoyment out of it at all. There has to be something in the activity that that makes it pleasurable for these people.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2010, 9:16 pm

111chuckybabu wrote:
Ambivalence wrote:

But if I just did it to someone, I would get no enjoyment out of it at all. There has to be something in the activity that that makes it pleasurable for these people.

Yes, there's always a reason, no matter how hidden. I think some people like to start arguments because they have some issue they can't deal with directly so they want to pick a fight so they can vent. It makes them feel less out of control when they gain the upper hand. This is how I learned to read the body language (as a defensive tactic).

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2010, 9:18 pm

When people piss me off or treat me bad, who cares if I anger them. I would rather enjoy it to show them to not mess with me and leave me alone. I am not some "innocent person" to mess with people see me as.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2010, 9:22 pm

League_Girl wrote:
When people piss me off or treat me bad, who cares if I anger them. I would rather enjoy it to show them to not mess with me and leave me alone. I am not some "innocent person" to mess with people see me as.

I think the OP was asking why people mess with other people in the first place.

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2010, 9:35 pm

It really makes me sick how people act on the Internet sometimes. I think the anonymity gives them a big thrill. They can be the biggest a**holes they want, egging on some poor soul to commit suicide and the like. I have been in chat sessions where a guy would try to draw out arguments with others. It's childish and sadistic.

And Youtube! People really get hateful and disgusting with their comments on there.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2010, 11:22 pm

My guess is that it might have something to do with schadenfreude - deriving amusement from other peoples' suffering.

An example: my younger brother is a fairly decent person in real life. On the internet, however, he loves to start as many arguments as possible with people. He loves riling them up, especially on Youtube, where he leaves nasty comments on their videos. I've asked him why he likes doing this, but he never answers me.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2010, 11:44 pm

Why can't people just hug each other, instead?

Diamond_Jackson
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Mar 2010, 12:36 am

Oh, I LOVE angering others on the Internet! It gives me a thrill that I just cannot experience in real life. It makes me ROFL when I cause someone to throw curses at me or argue with me because of what I say to them! I also like to be a total a-hole on Xbox Live by playing cheaply in games and yelling taunts at others, like in Forza 3, I like to crash other people off of the road just to see them angry! Hahaha!

Show me the wrath! Bwahahahaha! :twisted: