I'm in a bit of a Christmas pickle.

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2010, 2:49 pm

I'm getting a Radio Flyer full of books, mostly reference material for writers, a couple of DVDs. Anxious. Sometimes, I open them on the night of Christmas Eve. Again, anxious. Greatly. Should I open them before Christmas or be patient and open them on Christmas Day?

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2010, 3:09 pm

I'm waiting until Christmas morning to open my presents. That, to me, is one of the fun things about Christmas. If you open them on the night before, then you would have nothing to look forward to waking up to on Christmas morning.

That's just my opinion.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2010, 7:14 pm

mmm, Christmas pickle

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

22 Dec 2010, 9:41 pm

My mom is that way...presents make her nervous cuz she dont know what is in them. She says that she hates surprises. She usually peeks or cons it of of one of us kids what the other one got her.

As for me, the suspense is almost as fun as the present itself.

Just let the anxiety build, and when you open them Christmas day, its like a rush of energy opening all these presents....kinda fun, I think.

Jojo

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2010, 10:40 pm

I prefer to open mine on Christmas morning. That's what makes Christmas fun for me. :santa:

Sam2001
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Dec 2010, 8:26 am

How about this why don't you open some of your presents now and then the rest on Christmas day.
I prefer to wait to open them on Christmas, but i open some smaller presents before the day.

squonk
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2010, 6:29 am

And so am I.

G. HERKIN.

hypercube
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Dec 2010, 7:59 am

I'd try some techniques for coping with anxiety. You could Google just that. If the anticipation of presents is at a point where you're uncomfortable, I would really try to deal with the anxiety first, rather than ruin the surprise: Christmas presents are supposed to be fun: I hope you can find a way to enjoy them on Christmas morning. If you really can't deal with it, go ahead and open them (no sense in being miserable on Christmas) but if at all possible, try to do some other things to distract or calm you.

Help with Christmas preparations... watch a movie... take a shower... take a nap... go outside... listen to music... read a book...

If you have an understanding friend, talk about what makes you anxious about it... you can even tell us about how you feel, right here.

Coping skills for dealing with anxiety are a very valuable internal resource: this is a good opportunity to work on them.

Malisha
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Dec 2010, 7:30 pm

Kaybee wrote:
mmm, Christmas pickle

Totally had the same thought.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2010, 8:20 pm

Malisha wrote: