Page 1268 of 2541 [ 40653 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1265, 1266, 1267, 1268, 1269, 1270, 1271 ... 2541  Next

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 8:25 pm

AB, you might try the kegel exercise. Won't help your memory, but it may help your belly.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 8:41 pm

Did you know that a bowler (in 10-pin bowling) is also known as a "kegler?"

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 8:49 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Did you know that a bowler (in 10-pin bowling) is also known as a "kegler?"

our high school had a kegling club.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 8:52 pm

I used to really like bowling. Too bad I sucked at it :x

I used to watch the Professional Bowlers Tour every Saturday on ABC.

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 9:22 pm

Interesting. I had no idea.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 9:27 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I used to really like bowling. Too bad I sucked at it :x

I used to watch the Professional Bowlers Tour every Saturday on ABC.

i'm uncoordinated. the only sport i was ever good at was swimming.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 9:41 pm

Were you good enough to be on your school team?

When I was 14, I lost about 30 pounds just swimming laps.

I was never a "good" swimmer---but it got the job done...

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 10:03 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Were you good enough to be on your school team?

When I was 14, I lost about 30 pounds just swimming laps.

I was never a "good" swimmer---but it got the job done...

i was on the team for three years. overinvolvement in many school activities led to a bad case of the flu junior year. i elected not to join the team senior year, so didn't letter. i swam distance. i agree that it's great exercise. good for you for doing what needed to be done.

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 10:12 pm

Sleep

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 10:55 pm

cathylynn wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
I feel premature senility encroaching... :skull:

how does one detect encroaching senility?

for starters- increases in the number of "senior moments" in a given amount of time. losing control over sphincter functions. getting lost in the cobwebby corridors of one's own mind. anxiety due to not knowing what important things one is forgetting about, which is the worst kind of anxiety. the hard-won [too GD late to help me] lessons this old phart wishes to impart on all the young gassers, is to take seriously proper and prophylactic care of one's body and mind while young enough to forstall permanent damage.

forgetting why you went into a room and trouble finding the exact word are normal aging changes and not indicative of dementia. incontinence is a whole separate problem, probably not related to dementia unless the dementia is quite advanced, which is obviously not your case. you should see a doc. to deal with my aging brain, i keep a calendar and lists.

I did research as my doc didn't warn me of the interaction between the cholesterol med Pravastatin and the CC blocker Amlodipine [loose stools]. thankfully it seems to be moderating a bit. and I have to write everything down on calendars, in approx. 12 point print size [scrawl] to fit it all in, which is a challenge now as I have a form of wet MD.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 12:27 am

sounds as if you need the type of calendar i had when i had to schedule social work clients. it had a separate page for each day. got it at staples.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 12:32 am

cathylynn wrote:
sounds as if you need the type of calendar i had when i had to schedule social work clients. it had a separate page for each day. got it at staples.

I have a rudimentary system of scribbling "to do TODAY such and such date" notes on scraps of paper I keep near my puter so I can't ignore them. but sometimes they still get lost in the mess.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 12:40 am

Apparently there is a really cool wildlife refuge not to far from where I live, all the animals are wild animals that have been rescued from abusive or inadequate situations. Seems like its largely big cats, but also wolves, bears and some smaller animals. And there is a public sort of tour so I am going to check it out for sure...of course admission is around 30 dollars so I'll have to wait till I can fit that in my budget. But yeah there is a walkway up above the enclosures so you can see the animals without disturbing them.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 12:42 am

^^^that reminds me a bit of "Northwest Trek" in Yelm, WA.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 1:01 am

auntblabby wrote:
^^^that reminds me a bit of "Northwest Trek" in Yelm, WA.

Yeah that seems like a similar sort of thing, though doesn't appear its all rescue animals..the interesting thing about the one in Colorado is its all wild animals that have been raised in captivity and many that have also faced abuse. Like wild animals from circuses, private owners who bit off more than they could chew, animals from zoos with horrific conditions or people keeping them on display to make money while not taking care of them. But due to good care and rehabilitation they finally get to live out their life in a place they have room to roam and be well cared for.

I know they have a lioness they rescued from a circus, where her owner in his performance would have her on a chain and mock fight her...ending with hitting her on the head with a club, knocking her out. Then once she was useless for performing she was used to breed more lion cubs that were taken right away and nothing she could do. She can't move around very much due to the abuse, but now she has a safe home where she can go out into the sun, is fed well and gets kind interactions with the people there. I just don't understand how someone could treat an animal that way you could still see she had scars from being repeatedly hit on the head.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 1:11 am

I like to think that abusive lion owner is going to a place where he will be repeatedly knocked out with a blow to the head like he inflicted on that poor lion. :x