Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Alrunner
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

Today, 1:30 pm

Im new and learning to speaking a foreign language. Im planning on speaking Spanish, Italian, and German. Do I need to learn latin first since both Italian and Spanish has the latin base to the language?

Thanks

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

Today, 1:32 pm

Not unless you want to.

Learn whichever language you’re most interested in. Once you know Spanish to a decent level, Italian will come without too much trouble (and vice versa).

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

Today, 1:35 pm

Alrunner wrote:
Im new and learning to speaking a foreign language. Im planning on speaking Spanish, Italian, and German. Do I need to learn latin first since both Italian and Spanish has the latin base to the language?

Thanks

No, both have diverged significantly compared to Classical Latin.

Alrunner
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

Today, 1:41 pm

Isn’t Italian supposed to be a bit difficult to learn first before spanish?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

Today, 1:42 pm

Alrunner wrote:
Isn’t Italian supposed to be a bit difficult to learn first before spanish?

It’s considered a little more difficult, but it’s still pretty easy for native English speakers. In my experience, the easiest language is the one you are most interested in.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

Today, 3:20 pm

I'd love to learn a new language me

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 minutes ago

Just jump in with both feet into whichever language. None will "bite" you.

Never took Latin. But did fine in high school Spanish. Written Spanish is...well... I would make more spelling mistakes in my native English in the rest of my courses than I ever did in Spanish class! Thats because Spanish spelling is quite logical and phonetic. Unlike English.

French spelling looks rather insane to me too, but I never had a course in which I had to write it so I am not really expert on it.

Fun fact: There is a certain American car with an ancient Latin name that...bombs in Latin America because of its name. The Chevy "Nova". Though it means "new" and is practically the same word as the modern Spanish "nueva" meaning the same thing...the car's name is read as "no va" ("no go"). Laughingstock.