What's the most boring book ever? (In your opinion)

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 1:31 am

What books do YOU find boring? Opinions will probably differ so, because people have different opinions on them.

I read this book called "Sixth Grade 6 Secrets" and I only read about a quarter of it because it pretty boring.

That is probably the number one most boring book, because I have liked most of the books I read. There was one called "Foals in the Field" that was extremely sad so I didn't like it, but ti wasn't boring.

I also read a book that was really bad at first, then got good, then got bad again, the good again. It was called "A Wrinkle in Time".

I read one called "Go Ask Alice" last year and it kind of boring and didn't make a lot of sense.

I haven't read any of the Harry Potter books because I am not into fantasy for the most part, and I just haven't had a desire to read them.

What the most boring book YOU have ever read?

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 2:24 am

When I was in the ninth grade, I had to read a book called Life Of Pi. I couldn't make it past the first few pages of it because I found it to be monotonous and dull.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 5:59 am

I found Lord of the Flies to be pretty tedious. Medical Dictionaries are hardly riveting, especially given that I read the same one cover to cover three times.

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

StevieC
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 6:30 am

The bible. most boring book ive ever read.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 6:41 am

I forgot to mention the Koran. Snore fest.

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 7:08 am

I'm going to risk looking like I'm a hippie, which I'm not by saying this.

The most boring book that I've read was Hiroshima. I guess that it needs no explanation in this thread, as most people who posted here are readers and they know what the book is about.

Bubbles137
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 7:12 am

Pride and Prejudice- hated studying it for GCSE and still can't get through it now! Couldn't understand why so many people loved is :s.

skysaw
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 3:29 pm

I remember when I was a young kid and we had just moved house, but most of our stuff was still in storage. The house was nearly empty, and there wasn't much for me to do, so I started reading the telephone directory. That was pretty boring, but it passed the time.

Orcist
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Mar 2011, 5:01 pm

Great Expectations-Charles Dickens

It's a great thick book in which nothing happens.
It is good for putting people to sleep though ^^

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 5:03 pm

Descartes - Life of Pi has a great twist. I listened to it on audio, it was really good.

To me the most boring book ever is anything by Jane Austin. Bleh. Pride and Prejudice was utterly impossible for me to get through. Had to listen to that one, too.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 5:19 pm

Orcist wrote:
Great Expectations-Charles Dickens

It's a great thick book in which nothing happens.
It is good for putting people to sleep though ^^

I found that pretty dull. I think the title was a clever joke.

Never liked Austen and that either, I did try.

NLex75
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Mar 2011, 5:33 pm

This is a tough one but I'm going to go with The Old Man and The Sea.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 5:40 pm

Anything by Shakespeare of course. And anything to do with love. Pretty much every book we had to study in school.

WorldsEdge
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Mar 2011, 6:15 pm

ocdgirl123 wrote:
What books do YOU find boring? Opinions will probably differ so, because people have different opinions on them.

IF I limit myself to books I've finished...

(1) Ethan Frome - I think Edith Wharton wrote this, at least in part, to show how tedious life in small New England towns was in the mid-19th century. If so, she succeeded spectacularly.

(2) The Silmarillion (mostly) - I've always loved the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings...but this is a bunch of junk Tolkien wrote with probably never a thought of publishing. I heard somebody call it the Elvish Phone Book once, and that's how I've thought of it since. The exception being the part about the fall of Numenor...but even that had an embarassing deux ex machina ending.

(3) The Last 2 Harry Potter books - The first four were kind of cute, the fifth rather incoherent, and the last two train wrecks in very, very slow motion. I don't think any of them are stylistically any good, Rowling flat out sucks when it comes to the mechanics of writing. And this becomes painfully obvious in those last two books, when the storyline is no longer strong enough to compensate for cliche piled upon cliche.

(4) The Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan (now deceased) had a good idea for a fantasy series of, oh, three or four books. Unfortunately he decided to write 12, each one easily north of 500 pages. I think I bailed after the fifth book, and he actually passed away before he finished the 12th. But as I recall they're like Rowling at her worst, a sort of literary Bataan Death March.

Started and couldn't finish:

(1) Twilight - I barely reached page 50, WTF has turned this into some sort of strange cult with millions of followers I'll never know.
(2) A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius - Yep, that's a real title of a real book. A real boring book, though the boredom factor is actually overwhelmed by the pretentiousness of the whole thing.
(3) The Magic Mountain - I guess this is theoretically one of the best novels of the 20th century, but I'll happily wear the label of philistine than take another crack at this one.

Hmph, could probably go on for hours...and be as boring as the books I'm mentioning. :P So I'll stop here.

"The man who has fed the chicken every day throughout its life at last wrings its neck instead, showing that more refined views as to the uniformity of nature would have been useful to the chicken." ? Bertrand Russell

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 6:52 pm

Tricky one. There's several authors (Dostoevsky, Orwell, Dahl's Chickens) who bore me and (at least) three genres which do so (postmodern shite like Pynchon, skiffy, mass-market fantasy); I'll take a provocative stance and nominate A Game Of Thrones as the most boring book I've ever read, a status which it receives not for its own merit (as a stand-alone book, it's good, and interesting) but thanks to its position at the beginning of such a terminally dull and bloated series, such that the necessity of rereading it when the next instalment finally exits the author's read end looms like a loomacious loomy thing. Of doom.

The year is still young.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 7:01 pm

I'm being inspired by other people's posts (my own memory, as usual, needing keys I don't posses to access it)

Dostoevsky... yes, I can't make it through his books. I do love his ideas in condensed form though.

Orwell... a bit of a bore sometimes, could have used a bit more judicious editing. 1984 blew my mind as a child though, despite being a bit overlong.

Tolkein... oh my golly gosh, yes. I forced myself to read all of the LOTR trilogy (having previously quite enjoyed The Hobbit and I wish I hadn't.

It's very easy to criticise though eh? :wink: