I found a way to get more time in the library!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2006, 4:28 pm

Have anyone of you become aggravated at the two-hour limit placed upon most computers in the public libraries? You want to spend more time, but then you find out that you can't, because the public have placed limits on how much time you have? Well, I found a way around that. It is quite simple, actually. At least, it works in the library that I use, so I imagine it works in most others as well.

Turn on one computer and use it until you start to get a message stating something like: "You've 15 minutes left." Once you get that, leave the computer on. Then, go to another computer and log in to that one. Apparently, because the library time logs haven't registered an accurate time from the computer you've just used (you're still on it, and the time is still being registered), the timelog starts at the start for the next computer. Then, you log off the old computer after you turn on the new computer. Since that time on the new computer started with the full two hours, you now have four hours...

- Ray M -

ethamin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Jul 2006, 4:40 pm

:lol:

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2006, 5:08 pm

Yeah, that sounds like a software flaw and MIS will get right on it as soon as they figure it out.
We limit people to 2 one-hour sessions also. We’re discussing limiting people to one one-hour session because demand is so high and we have so few computers. We gladly give people extra sessions when demand is low. While on vacation, I visited the library in Mecklenberg county, NC. Most of their computers were not in use. They limit people to one one-hour session a day, no exceptions. They actually told me, “We feel that if someone needs a computer for more than an hour a day, they should buy one.” 8O

:jester:

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2006, 7:41 pm

MrMark wrote:
Yeah, that sounds like a software flaw and MIS will get right on it as soon as they figure it out.

Maybe, but I doubt they'll be figuring it out anytime soon. I doubt if anyone who finds out will even say anything, and I also doubt that most people wouldn't even know it's happening. It's not the kind of thing that stands out. I find out after one machine locked up, and I had to use another. I then saw the time start from the beginning. That was nice, because then I just found a way to get at least four hours, if not even more.

- Ray M -

bizarre
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2006, 10:48 am

Hell yeah stick it to the man Ray ! ! :twisted: