Page 10 of 2549 [ 40782 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 2549  Next

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 10:38 am

all_white wrote:
emlion wrote:
*not smart enough to join in all this language talk, but is finding it very interesting*

Update on tea status required.

*claps* yay! tea was aquired this morning! green tea + regular tea (PG Tips for the record :wink:).
and the boyfriend bought me sweets because i'm a little princess. :oops: :lol:

EgyptianCat
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 10:39 am

emlion wrote:
*not smart enough to join in all this language talk, but is finding it very interesting*

Join in, join in~ ^^

all_white wrote:
EgyptianCat wrote:
English is my main language, I can type perfectly well and was the best speller in my class. I just can't comprehend a lot of the words from year 5+

That's probably a sign that the Aspie half of your brain has a mental age of five, which must be why we get on so well. I made up my own test to determine my Aspie mental age and concluded that half of me stopped growing up / developing at the age of eight. So I am older than you, but only by three years. :wink:

I always thought something like that about me~ (:
I wasn't sure if it was because a part of me couldn't grow up, or because I was just unintelligent :oops:
It's nice to speak to someone who I can understand~ (:

all_white
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 10:42 am

jmnixon95 wrote:
Hmm. I've actually known many people who have successfully become very fluent in English..

I have only ever known a few. It certainly is possible to learn to speak English fluently, just as it is with any other language, but my point is that it requires about ten times more determination and effort that it would to learn, say, Spanish or French or Italian, which follow very set, foolproof rules for pronunciation. Thus, when I meet a fluent non-native English speaker who has not learned by full immersion but rather through application to study, I have great admiration for them. :thumleft:

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 10:42 am

emlion wrote:

At least you find it interesting, though.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 10:44 am

all_white wrote:
jmnixon95 wrote:
Hmm. I've actually known many people who have successfully become very fluent in English..

I have only ever known a few. It certainly is possible to learn to speak English fluently, just as it is with any other language, but my point is that it requires about ten times more determination and effort that it would to learn, say, Spanish or French or Italian, which follow very set, foolproof rules for pronunciation. Thus, when I meet a fluent non-native English speaker who has not learned by full immersion but rather through application to study, I have great admiration for them. :thumleft:

The grammar for Spanish (I'm not sure about the other two, as I haven't had too much exposure to them) can be classified as more difficult than that as English, though. The pronunciation is fine, but the grammar is all over the place. So many different tenses... I've never tried to learn the language, but I think it'll take me quite a bit of time. Especially since I am not all that interested in it.

all_white
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 10:48 am

emlion wrote:
*claps* yay! tea was aquired this morning! green tea + regular tea (PG Tips for the record Wink).
and the boyfriend bought me sweets because i'm a little princess.

Awww, that's nice. I'm glad you're back to your beau-TEA-ful self.

EgyptianCat wrote:
I wasn't sure if it was because a part of me couldn't grow up, or because I was just unintelligent :oops:

Hearing from fellow Aspies (on here and on Youtube) has helped me understand myself a lot better than all those books about AS, which are often written by "experts" who do not actually have AS themselves.

This little guy made a brilliant video which explains his theory that his brain is half-and-half. It neatly sums up what's always puzzled me about myself all my life: why sometimes I am all grown up and mature, yet part of me does childlike things, and is incapable of ever growing up beyond the age of eight!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbgUjmeC-4o

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 10:50 am

all_white wrote:
This little guy made a brilliant video which explains his theory that his brain is half-and-half. It neatly sums up what's always puzzled me about myself all my life: why sometimes I am all grown up and mature, yet part of me does childlike things, and is incapable of ever growing up beyond the age of eight!

Yeah, sometimes I'm glad that that video is so popular. It's colossally better than, say, a Jenny McCarthy video.

EgyptianCat
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 10:51 am

all_white wrote:
emlion wrote:
*claps* yay! tea was aquired this morning! green tea + regular tea (PG Tips for the record Wink).
and the boyfriend bought me sweets because i'm a little princess.

Awww, that's nice. I'm glad you're back to your beau-TEA-ful self.

EgyptianCat wrote:

Hearing from fellow Aspies (on here and on Youtube) has helped me understand myself a lot better than all those books about AS, which are often written by "experts" who do not actually have AS themselves.

I'm starting to get emotional -wipes tears-
My fear of finding out more of Autism drove me away and made me want to never get help for Autism.
On the other hand, I was curious ever since I found WP.
And I am glad I moved forward and gave it a chance~
I will watch the video, thank you (:

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 10:55 am

ahh i'm glad i know where to find the smart language people now.
this has been annoying me since i wrote it (but not enough to google it :lol:)
un-innocent is not a word is it?

all_white
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 10:55 am

jmnixon95 wrote:

The grammar for Spanish (I'm not sure about the other two, as I haven't had too much exposure to them) can be classified as more difficult than that as English, though. The pronunciation is fine, but the grammar is all over the place. So many different tenses... I've never tried to learn the language, but I think it'll take me quite a bit of time. Especially since I am not all that interested in it.

Apart from the subjunctive and interrogative, Spanish has about the same number of tenses as English does. The main thing that's difficult about its grammar is that verbs may optionally drop the pronoun and, as such, each verb ending must be unique so you know to whom the speaker is referring. That's the one thing that stands out the most for me, and makes it harder than English. With English PT regular verbs, you only have to add an "S" onto the third person singular, and you're done. All you need to change are the pronouns. With Spanish, all verb endings must be unique, even if you're conjugating regular verbs, so it's a LOT more to learn! 8O

I love Spanish. It's my second language. Once I had actually done learning all of its grammar I was so exhausted I just couldn't face learning a whole new language over again, so I only speak two. I have great admiration for people like you, who study multiple languages! :thumleft:

EgyptianCat
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 10:57 am

emlion wrote:
ahh i'm glad i know where to find the smart language people now.
this has been annoying me since i wrote it (but not enough to google it :lol:)
un-innocent is not a word is it?

It is a word emlion, don't worry~ (:

all_white
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 11:01 am

It can be a word if you want it to be a word.

:wink:

Doing a serious analysis, I think a better word might be "guilty."

Leaving it as it is, "non" would be a better prefix than "un." They both mean different things.

Context, please!

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 11:03 am

errr the context would break the rules of the thread? hmm. nah it's not that bad. :wink:
i said 'after a few shots i could make you un-innocent.'

mb1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 May 2011, 11:04 am

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
I don't have the patience to sew or embroider. In fact, I only know how to crochet because I was a foster child. It's something they teach girls in foster care. Coping mechanism, I suppose.

Been crocheting since I was 10. It's easy to just space out while doing it because it's very repetitive.

Sorry I'm so slow at going through responses!

I was about 15 when I started crocheting. I love spacing out and crocheting. I love counting stitches. I love feeling the wool slide over my fingers.

^^Special interest much, lol. :lol:

I was already slipping away into my special world just thinking about it. I use it for stimming, because the counting and hand movements calm me.

Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

EgyptianCat
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 11:05 am

emlion wrote:
Removed for all_white

I wonder if I should say or anything or just wait for the reply~
o.o

Last edited by EgyptianCat on 15 May 2011, 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

all_white
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 11:07 am

emlion wrote:
<scandalous quote hailing from dirty parallel universe>

Hmm.

I don't know. I really don't know what word to say.