Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 6:14 pm

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 6:29 pm

babybird wrote:
What are ghosts?

Imaginary projections of a distraught mind.

By "distraught", I mean anxious, depressed, excited, grief-stricken, stressed, or any combination thereof.

Ghosts also seem to have a high correlation with alcohol, drug use, fatigue, mental or emotional impairment, or a generally impressionable personality.

Otherwise, there is no valid empirical evidence whatsoever that ghosts exist except in the minds of those who claim to have seen them.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 7:25 pm

pete1061 wrote:
Now this is just a theory of mine..
But I suspect that neurons and or dna have currently unmeasurable quantum level effects on our environment. There could be something left behind after one dies. The details of the something are yet to be discovered. But we also could leave quantum level imprints everywhere we go while living.

I've speculated there are three types of 'haunting':
1. a "ghost" haunting ....the leftover quantum 'spirit' of some deceased person or animal.
2. a "trauma" haunting ... the imprint of a very intense emotional event, or series of events.
3. an "elemental" haunting ... this one is not a residual from something once living, but strange variations in the quantum field resulting from something in the local environment.

Though I am highly skeptical of "metaphysical" things. I also do recognize that science does not know everything, and we are continually making new discoveries. Currently, quantum physics is a very new science where "smashing things apart" is the dominant method of observation. maybe once we can develop smaller, lower energy equipment to observe the quantum level (rather then multi billion dollar things like the LHC) we will discover an amazing realm of things once considered to me impossible or "magic".

Remember, things that are commonplace now, we're considered witchcraft not long ago.

This theory of mine is just that, a theory. I keep an open mind with all things. Something is happening with what we call "ghosts and hauntings", we just haven't developed the science yet to accurately measure them.
This is fascinating Pete! :)

Your Aspie score: 167 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 35 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 7:32 pm

pete1061 wrote:
1. a "ghost" haunting ....the leftover quantum 'spirit' of some deceased person or animal.
2. a "trauma" haunting ... the imprint of a very intense emotional event, or series of events.
3. an "elemental" haunting ... this one is not a residual from something once living, but strange variations in the quantum field resulting from something in the local environment.

"Speculation" is the appropriate word, since (1) none of the speculations are testable, and (2) there is no valid empirical evidence to support them as claims.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2011, 3:29 am

Fnord wrote:
pete1061 wrote:

"Speculation" is the appropriate word, since (1) none of the speculations are testable, and (2) there is no valid empirical evidence to support them as claims.

All I can do is speculate, since I lack the equipment to accurately test any hypothesis.
Quantum mechanics seems to me the only opening in which metaphysical phenomena can be proven or dis-proven.

But also, I am not going to insist that they either do or do not exist. Both claims require valid empirical evidence.

Diagnosed in 2005

Tonywars
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Oct 2017, 9:11 am

Most ghosts are seen by very relaxed people who are thinking of ordinary things. People - like me - who go desperately looking won't see a thing because their imaginations are working too hard. I think there are different types of ghost - one that is like a record, one that never even existed in life before (a kind of energy), and one that is perhaps slightly conscious but doesn't last long after it's human form died.

Michael829
Toucan
Toucan

10 Nov 2017, 1:43 pm

babybird wrote:
I ask this because I believe that I have seen ghosts, but I'm not to sure how what I've seen can be properly explained because I don't believe that ghosts are the spirits of people who have passed on.

There probably aren't ghosts who can or would appear to people who weren't close to the deceased person.

Michael Ossipoff

fiber bundle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Nov 2017, 7:18 pm

All ghosts are purple. This is actually true, considering there aren't any.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2017, 12:13 am

That cute, little thing that was on this past Halloween's Google Doodle. I found that very cute and refreshing after two years of competitive witch video games. I wish that sweet little ghost lived with me.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2017, 8:49 pm

The enemy of Pac-Man

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 5:29 am

Most of those who posted to this necro thread.