Page 3 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2012, 4:07 am

i COMPLETELY agree. i was trying to explain to my daughter about how a currently fashionable hairstyle on male models is an 80s throwback, but i could not find a single photo from the 1980 on the internet that demonstrated what i meant.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

08 Sep 2012, 5:35 am

Given what I have read, being a sports fan in the 1980s was an awesome thing, as well. :D Gretzky, Montana, Jordan, Bird, Magic, and lots of names made sports fun in the 1980s.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2012, 2:21 pm

oh yeah - i am from Edmonton. Messier was pretty common to see in the club scene (i was too young to see it myself, but he was often "occupied" in a private area with some fan or another), and we bowed at the altar of Peter Pocklington (aka "Peter Puck"). there were a lot of tears when Gretzky left.

Colinn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2012, 2:54 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
sorry if this was boring. i am not sure what you wanted to know.

I didn't find that boring, I found it quite an interesting little look back to your experience of the 80's. Funny to see the old clothing styles, just seemed to be a more care free, wear whatever approach to fashion compared to current times. I know VHS could store more than the betamax, but which performed better? Betamax was long gone when I was growing up so I wouldn't know.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2012, 3:04 pm

betamax had noticeably better quality, so my dad snobbily stuck with that format. you could get reasonably long-running tapes later on, as it was only the early tapes that were prohibitively short.

Colinn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2012, 3:56 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
betamax had noticeably better quality, so my dad snobbily stuck with that format. you could get reasonably long-running tapes later on, as it was only the early tapes that were prohibitively short.

I thought that might of been the case, as that was the more used format for professional video broadcasting apparently. I think by the time longer tapes had came out VHS had been too dominant of the market. Still, at least the betamax had a longer shelf life than the hd-dvd!

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2012, 3:59 pm

really? i didn't know that!

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2012, 4:56 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
[Image
in this picture, i'm wearing a fluorescent shirt with random numbers on it. i have heavy eye makeup with no lipstick and light blush, but also heavy foundation/base. i am wearing mismatched earrings. one is a small colourful stud and the other one is shaped like a large pink foot. i was bullied for wearing those jeans at school - they were sort of "napped" because the warp threads were blue and the weft threads were yellow. so they appeared greenish at a distance. apparently not cool).

. .

I had a similar shirt but it was covered in random geometrics: squares, circles, triangles in various colors and intentionally in no pattern. There were also shirts with japanese words on them. Looking back, I think it was an attempt to break away from the earthy tones of 70's naturalism with things that were garishly unnatural.

japan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Sep 2012, 5:12 pm

Isn't the Aha song "Take on me", the ultimate 80's Anthem?

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2012, 9:11 pm

If I say so myself, yah.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2012, 3:48 pm

I was brought up in northern England in the 80's and it was bad. I was a teenager then.

It was the decade when power was handed over to the bankers, and now look at the mess we are in.

Other than that I think of...

Bright clothes and glittery hair
Fizzy pop music
I've got the brains you've got the looks lets make lots of money.....(a song from that decade)

Oh yes, and the everpresent Madonna.

Most things were crap and superficial in the 80's. I only liked the acid house at the end of that decade.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2012, 7:33 am

It's hard to say what year of the 1980s was the best; but for me, I'd say either 1984 or 1986.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2012, 12:06 pm

A few favorites from the past :)

sisymay
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Oct 2012, 11:12 pm

Well, most of the 80's were a bad time for me. Serious problems caused by other people. I don't remember much.
What I remember the most is the clothes styles kept changing, a lot. There were the bright colors (clothes on Family Matters, etc) parachute pants, acid wash jeans, Shirts that buttoned up the back and had tux tails, Skirts with ruffles, girls (me too) wore plaid shirts in pretty colors, with lace collar,
I LOVED the music! Def Leppard - greatest band ever!!
There were so many hair bands . They didn't call them that back then, though.
Casette tapes took over record albums. The game rooms- pinball machines and the pac man machine and lots of others I can't remember. This was the teen hangout.
Big eyeglasses! Ugly! You didn't think of it back then though. Or the big hair, either.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2012, 9:27 pm

Does anybody remember that great 1980s game show Press Your Luck?

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 5:21 am

Just watching Press Your Luck to me is a 1980s timetrip in itself. :D