Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 1:48 pm

By ''clutterer'' I mean a person who keeps things in an untidy state, being constantly unsure of whether you should keep it or throw it away. I think it's kind of on the higher end of the hoarding spectrum. If I knew how to post pictures on here, I would send some pictures of each cabinet in my room, filled up with clutter that I'm unsure of where to put or whether to throw away or not. Just looking at it can be overwhelming, and even when I try to clear it all away, I just find I'm just moving all the junk from one end of the room to the other.

I have kept all my videos in case my DVD player stops working, also I ''feel sorry'' for the people who brought me the videos in the past when I think about throwing them out.

I have a thin sheet folded up on my computer desk, which is taking up room but I'm unsure where to put it. I don't like to put it away in drawers because if I wake up hot in the night I need this thin sheet over me in desperation and I hate hunting about in the dark, and I don't like putting it on the floor in case spiders hide in it (in a cluttered room like mine I bet there's loads of spiders lurking about :shaking: ).

I've got odd bits and pieces on my shelf, what I don't really need but don't know if I should get rid of or not. I've got 2 moneyboxes what I like to have on show because they're nice, but they get too swallowed up among the other stuff.

Going back to my computer desk, I've got a computer sitting on it what I don't use any more (now that I've got my laptop) but I can't get rid of it (long story as to why), but I've got nowhere to keep it for the time being because our whole house is too small and cluttered.

I've got a lot of bath foams and perfumes that I keep forgetting to use, that are just taking up space in my room (I should really put them in the bathroom).

I've got a fan that's quite small but still nowhere to put it, so it's perched on the end of my bedside unit, along with a lamp what I hardly ever use, and a few other little things I don't know what to do with.

My drawers are full of writing books I use to write my stories in and pads I use to draw cartoon strips, which I like to keep since it is part of my hobby.

I've got 2 piano-keyboards. I got a second one because my first one suddenly stopped working, but as soon as I brought the new one, the old one decided to work again, now I'm attached to both and I do use them.

I've got photo frames what were brought for me for my 21st birthday, what I can't put anywhere because I have too much clutter, so they are just sitting in a bag on top of my wardrobe.

I've got little bits you use regularly like hairbrushes and pens and different keys, and I've got CDs lying around what I can't find any room to get a rack to put them in.

Feel free to add descriptions of your messy state (if you're a clutterer like me).

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 3:39 pm

I'm like that as well. I'd take a picture of my bedroom and my basement but I'm too embarrassed. :oops:

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 4:42 pm

Yay for Cluttering!
:D Yeah I do this... My room can look awful at times...

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."

johnny77
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 6:29 pm

Yes but not in the house but in my work shop and I get annoyed if some one moves any thing as I know where it is.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 9:48 pm

When I was younger, I was very disorganized and my room was also quite cluttered. I have eventually figured out how to resolve that problem (telling people not to keep giving me stuff, donating useable items in decent condition, giving things to people who like them, utilizing the "one in, one out" rule, (when you acquire something, you must get rid of something else) limiting things I collect (sorry Magic: The Gathering cards, you take too much space - no more for now), and mapping where items are located). It took seeing my father's parents struggling with hoarding to make me change my ways and cut down on clutter. I knew I didn't want to end up the way they are...

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 10:04 pm

I used to be somewhere between clutterer and hoarder in my childhood and teens.

Not any more, after growing-up with a mother who never tidied and living with a mess ex I found tidiness to be beneficial for me mentally. My home is now super neat and tidy, it feels lacking but I still think I'd be worse if I went back to my old ways...I do also have regular clear-outs to avoid falling back into old habits.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

30 Aug 2012, 12:52 am

That used to be me.... not so much now in my adult years. But at least when I get lazy I do this to my clothes. I'm a time-saver.

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 12:53 am

@Joe90, I see your cluttered room and raise you a 2-car (7 bike) garage and garden shed-cum-music room-cum-parts storage; the single-floor suburban ranch tract layout calls out for that space to be filled

Just a small example of what it can get like

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 2:19 am

I'm a car guy and we tend to be clutterers/hoarders by nature. You are afraid to throw anything out because it may one day soon become rare and unobtainable, so you keep everything. You have scrap metal of different types put away to fabricate things so even a small piece of scrap sheet metal may one day have value. Bolts? I have 5 boxes full of them. I even have them categorized by metric and SAE. I also have paint, grease, and a wide assortment of other chemicals used in the hobby. I have more carburators than I have cars and can say the same of transmissions and seats too. Inside the house I have a large collection of automotive literature including service manuals, brochures and magazines. I even have car seats stored in my spare bedroom so they don't get ruined outside.

At one point, I had everything pretty well organized and getting better. Then a friend of mine moved in and destroyed my sense of order so I collapsed inward and hid from my life until he moved out a few weeks ago. He's an alcoholic that I also think has borderline personality disorder and the chaos of his life is a toxic mix that I can't deal with, especially in my home. Now I am trying to get back to the order I had before but ti is proving difficult as I need to make it a special interest once again like I did when I organized it the first time. Sadly, SI's are not exactly something that are easy to turn on and off so now I am dealing with a grueling push through my inertia to try and get it done a little at a time.

MirrorWars
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 6:02 am

I'm terrible for mess & clutter. I was thinking of posting a pic, but it's just too shameful.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 4:16 pm

Me, too.

Always have been.

I think it has something to do with insecurities. So many things represent memories, and tossing some things feels like tossing away parts of my life, something like that......

Sylkat

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 11:24 pm

Lord yes. Many times I can't see my floor. Really. And no...I'm not sharing a photo. :oops:

It's weird that I'm like this, because my mom is so neat. We're having problems with that now. I had to move back home a while back for financial reasons. My housekeeping is sorely lacking, and it drives her crazy. And it drives ME crazy when I can't find something because I knew where I last saw it but she moved it because she picked up behind me.

It's even tougher for me because I moved from a three-bedroom house to a 10 x 9 bedroom. Most of my stuff is in storage, but there are some things I HAD to bring. My books are the main problem. I'm guessing they are my biggest "special interest". I have well over 1000 (not all in that teeny bedroom!), and am always acquiring more. They're totally out of hand right now. I'm out of book space, so now they are stacked on every vertical surface, including the floor.

Clothes are another issue. I hate to do laundry, so I tend to let them pile up until I have nothing else to wear. Once again, on every surface.

Albirea
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Cannot be determined due to excessive knowledge of momentum

31 Aug 2012, 12:50 am

Yeah. You should see my dorm room.

One does not simply walk into my dorm room.

Wulfart
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Aug 2012, 12:56 pm

Ohh hell yes, this is me, I'll keep things to use, then forget about them, and then when I find them a mont later, I keep them still cause your never know.... Yea, I would take a picture of my place too, but it's embarressing. What doesn't help is that I'm not very good at cleaning, I start to straighten a few things, then stop, and have no idea what else to do or how to do it even though its still a mess, get frustrated and sit back at my comp to play games or work on art.

japan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Aug 2012, 5:59 pm

This has always been a bad habit of mine too. I've been trying really hard to tackle it lately. I just got rid of a 17 year old keyboard that I haven't used in about 13 years.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

01 Sep 2012, 11:16 pm

I may of been as a kid or could of potentially become one but I'm kind of the opposite now because both my parents are clutterers. Having their stuff in my way or having to get them to move it so I can eat in the kitchen or to help them move things so they can get to something or having them store stuff in my room because they don't know where else to put it is frustrating; plus I don't have the room to be a clutterer. I kind of adapted/learned to become practical with what I have/keep out of necessity.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition