Enduring Conversations I'm Not Enjoying

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2014, 11:12 pm

Somewhere along the way of growing up, I've learned (as we all have) that it's rude to not pay attention to people when they're talking to you, even if they're only gossiping and/or boring you to tears.
When people are talking to me, I feel the need to glance up at them from time to time to let them know I'm not ignoring them even though that's all I really 'want to do/am doing' and for them to go away, but I can't force myself to be rude and unfortunately, that's what it seems to take to get rid of some people. You would think the fact that I keep looking back at my computer would give them the hint that I'm not interested but they either don't seem to get the message or don't care.

I know, if they're being rude, I shouldn't worry about being rude back but I just can't bring myself to do that.

Does anyone else find themselves in this situation? Does anyone else feel the same way?

How do others deal with this kind of situation without being rude?

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2014, 5:52 am

I get conversations like that too. I just let them talk and do whatever it is I am doing. It mostly happens while I am sitting at my work desk. There's a colleague that comes over to whine about people. Mostly these two that left recently.

I get rather blunt sometimes. As in just doing the one word responses "uh huh, ok, got it" in a "can this end already?" tone of voice.

Can't think of a more polite solution then that.