Help me come up with an acronym to fight the MAFIAA

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

LocksAndLiqueur
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Aug 2014, 2:09 pm

This morning, I was listening to some dieselpunk music (1920s and 1930s music with a contemporary twist). I was listening to a relatively new playlist and browsing the comments when I found a discussion between a user and the owner of the website I was using. Here's how it went:

User: "Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but why is the Summer 2013 playlist, the one containing The Great Gatsby soundtrack, missing? Or was it Spring 2013?"

Owner: "Licensing, old sport.

Every time I post a new playlist, I'm paying two rather hefty license fees per song per user per listen. Unless the music is donated to us or available via public domain, these costs can exceed my budget really quickly.

And since Dieselpunks doesn't run any advertising, makes $1 a month on average from the Amazon store, and relies solely on my 9-to-5 paycheck to stay afloat these days, it's simply getting too expensive to continue hosting newer songs (like from Gatsby)."

User: "Huh, so it was that obvious...

Have you ever considered making a Spotify playlist instead? I'm pretty sure there is a plugin that allows you to set up a player on your site, and it's completely free of charge as far as I know, especially when the website's not of a commercial type and you're not gaining a lot of financial benefits through it. You're doing damn too good job to be constrained by mere licensing."

Owner: "Yeah. Spotify (commercials, bad service, lack of music), Soundcloud (no copyrighted music)... Even researched my own online radio station ($1750+ per month in hosting for super low audio quality).

We're definitely under the radar, but one hit from the MAFIAA could cost me my house, so I err on the side of caution."

Now, for those of you who aren't familiar with the MAFIAA, it's the (rather appropriately named) Music And Film Industry Assiation of America. Hearing the MAFIAA mentioned in this context (while listening to "zip gun bop") gave me an idea that I think is kind of awesome.

You see, I've always had issues with organizations like the MAFIAA & do everything I can (educating people I know about intellectual property laws that exist to serve corporate interests & so called "piracy"). So, what if some folks were to get together and form a 1920s gangster themed campaign against the MAFIAA? I've read a few books on crystalizing public opinion, but I don't think anything like that will be needed considering how many people are already against what these organizations are doing.

Now, here's what I'd like you to do; I'd like you to help me come up with an acronym like "POLICE", "FBI", "FEDS" or something similar that will the the title of the campaign. Thanks in advance for any ideas you contribute.