06 Feb 2015, 4:33 am

Eat them!
I love pecans. :D

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2015, 4:40 am

Smash one with a hammer and then say, "Well, I guess it pe-CAN'T!"

Laugh maniacally; repeat until no pecans remain.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2015, 5:03 am

How many do you have? You can sell them if you have enough and they are good. Sort them and put them in bags. Pick up all you can outside and then see how many you have. Pecans are expensive and if you sell them cheaper than the grocery store, you'll get rid of them all. Depending on where you live, you could sell them to a store, by the side of the road, or in the paper. Or you could give them away. Put them somewhere with a sign that says FREE PECANS!

If you have a pecan tree, then try and pick yours up before Thanksgiving and Christmas next year. They are in high demand during the holidays and you'll have buyers left and right then, especially if you sell them cheap.

Do you have a tree or did somebody give them to you, or what?

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2015, 7:59 am

The father of one of the city employees around here has pecan trees at his home in central Texas. Every winter he brings a couple of hundred pounds worth of pecans from his fathers house and sells them for the father. I think that the pecans go for something in the neighborhood of $6 to $10 per pound.

In the fall, he gets a lot of calls from people eager to buy a few pounds of pecans from him.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2015, 9:03 am

eric76 wrote:
The father of one of the city employees around here has pecan trees at his home in central Texas. Every winter he brings a couple of hundred pounds worth of pecans from his fathers house and sells them for the father. I think that the pecans go for something in the neighborhood of $6 to $10 per pound.

In the fall, he gets a lot of calls from people eager to buy a few pounds of pecans from him.

Yeah, those things are like gold below the Mason Dixon line! I don't eat them in anything except on the sweet potato casserole at Thanksgiving, once a year, and occasionally in homemade Chex mix in the oven - I hate that microwave crap. But lots of other people use them in recipes especially in winter. Lane cake and fruit cake use pecans, as does pralines and pecan roll. My kids don't like nuts though.

I don't have a pecan tree but know folks with them and most will let you go pick up pecans to use yourself. Older folks with them sometimes have people come and pick them up and pay them with the pecans, cause they don't want to do it. There are several pecan trees on some public land over between the high school and the hospital and folks go there all the time and pick some up. So, you can get them other places here if you take the time to, but most just buy them at the store or on the side of the road. Lots of kids go to that public land and pick up a pillowcase or two full of them in the fall and sell them. It's common here, and my kids did it too. It's easier for the guys who cut the grass there for somebody to do that.

Pecans are like tomatoes and greens. You always end up with way more than you can eat and have to give them away to everybody you know. I get tomatoes all summer from lots of people. People I just casually chat with will say "Hey, you eat tomatoes?" and if I say yes they will say "Come out to my car a second" and hand me a bag to take home. They don't want to throw them out, they can't eat them before they go bad, they have put up enough for two families for winter, and there are still more. They resort to giving them to strangers that way. Their friends and family are overrun with not only their tomatoes but tomatoes they get from other people. There are too many damn tomatoes in the summer here. It's the same with pecans. If you leave them they rot and tear up the mower. If you pick them up then you can't throw them out, you have to do something with them and you can't eat them all no matter what you do. Unlike tomatoes, people will buy pecans because there are fewer pecan trees here than there are tomato patches. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a tomato patch in the summer. You could swing several without hitting a pecan tree. You'll find them maybe every few blocks.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

invaderhorizongreen
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2015, 2:15 pm

Make a pie out of them, or perhaps make cookies with them.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2015, 1:36 am

Jory wrote:
Smash one with a hammer and then say, "Well, I guess it pe-CAN'T!"

Laugh maniacally; repeat until no pecans remain.

hee hee hee...wait. but a smashed pecan bit, while not whole, is still a pecan!

he will just have more, smaller pecans. however, i suggest that he keeps smashing these bits, using ever so smaller hammers, until he gets to the point where the result of smashing a bit is not a pecan.

maybe...if you gather them all together into one big mass, their individual little minds will come together, order will arise from the chaos of their primitive brains, and they will tell us......why you want to move to israel.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2015, 8:04 pm

Make some pecan muffins and banana bread and raise money for your favourite charity. :idea:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2015, 8:46 pm

I've got a loverly bunch of coconuts; but yes, I have no bananas ... or pecans ... :(

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.