Why do NT females keep having to move furniture around?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

androidbeing
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Dec 2007, 6:18 pm

Why do NT females keep having to move furniture around? Why can't they just leave it in one place? What makes them think they have to keep rearranging things?

Android

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2007, 6:25 pm

They generally do this? I have plenty of times, but that was when there was space and less books everywhere. :evil: I didn't know NT women did this, you should write a sociology paper...

lotus
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Dec 2007, 6:30 pm

hmmm, that is what my mom does. Very strange....

AussieBoy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2007, 6:33 pm

My mum does it all the time!

lotus
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Dec 2007, 6:35 pm

I figured it was OCD or something. Course last few times I've visited, nothing was moved. She works now so maybe that keeps her busy enough....

fivecents
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Dec 2007, 6:44 pm

Sounds like she has a dissatisfying life. Or is ADD. Glue the furniture down or tell her you keep bumping into things. I like sameness, so I can’t speak for her, but she needs to STOP and get an interest other than rearranging furniture…

Jaded
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2007, 3:12 pm

I have to restrain myself from moving furniture. Not as bad as before. I used to do this every weekend when I was a kid through teen years. I got tired of looking at things the way they were.

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

29 Dec 2007, 4:37 pm

AussieBoy wrote:
My mum does it all the time!

That's me!

I am a NT woman who moves furniture around.

Why do I do it? It's not ADD!

I like change and excitement. I am settled with a husband, 3 kids and permanent part-time job so don't get much change in my life.

Changing the furniture around is fun. ALso, occastionally, I get fed up with the house and moving furniture around is much cheaper then buying new furniture.

My sons (including AussieBoy) like to help me move furniture around.

Helen

Raph522
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2007, 5:18 pm

i move furnature around a lot, in my room at least. I dont know why but i feel funny if i dont sometimes, and other times just to see if i like it better or if it gives me more room. i move it all alone so its usually just chairs and tables, nothing heavy.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2007, 6:10 pm

My mun used to do that all the time, in the very first house that my family lived in. I used to help her.

Apatura
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2007, 6:27 pm

It's not just NT females. When I was a teenager living in a dorm I obsessively moved my furniture around on a regular basis. Right now I am living in a situation where there is a serious crunch for space so I am constantly trying to figure out if there is a more efficacious arrangement to be had. But actual total rearrangements are rare these days.

AspieMartian
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Dec 2007, 11:21 pm

I'm an AS female and I rearrange regularly, at least my part of the house. I'd rearrange everything if my mom would let me.

I do it because it's is an expression of mood and creativity that helps make my envionment more personal and so more confortable. I like having creative control over my environment. Granted it would irk me if I lived with someone who rearranged without my consent (and preferably with my supervision).

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2007, 12:25 am

I move everything to clean under it and possibly every 4 years if the mood strikes me or something gets replaced or evicted...except the bed...the bed *needs* to be in the same place or I can't sleep. 8O

My mom used to move my bed around when I was little...I would cry and wouldn't be able to sleep until it was back in the same place again.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2007, 12:34 am

Very mysterious. My parents used to rearrange the furniture, but I don't think they're NTs. I think they did it because they were bored. I would never consider moving furniture unless there was a very practical reason to do so, such as making room for a new piece of furniture.

Firgs
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Dec 2007, 12:41 am

I move things around maybe once every four to six years.. but usually it's when I get something new.. I toss around the idea of moving things sometimes because I get board with stuff and I try to figure out how to maximize the efficiency of the space, but for the most part I just leave it

I deep clean and pitch stuff though when I get overly frustrated with my life.. it helps me to bring back a sense of control

SleepyDragon
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2007, 6:28 am

androidbeing wrote:
Why do NT females keep having to move furniture around? Why can't they just leave it in one place? What makes them think they have to keep rearranging things?

Some theories:
  • Thwarted nomadic impulse. Stuck in same damn house for what seems like forever with no change in foreseeable future. Swap things around, giving illusion of change.
  • Control issues. Similar to above, except that what is sought is the illusion of dominance over environment.
  • Physical catharsis. Shifting large heavy wardrobes and so on is excellent for taking one's mind off one's existential angst.
  • And most importantly: when you move a lounge chair from one corner to a different corner, it cannot argue with you.
JMO.