Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Do you pronounce "wok" and "walk" the same way?
Yes 73%  73%  [ 8 ]
No 27%  27%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 11

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 6:05 pm

Do you pronounce "wok" and "walk" the same way?

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 9:50 pm

Nope. I have been told I have a strange accent, probably due to speech problems and trying to over-pronounce things to get the words right. So I would pronounce "wok" exactly as written, each letter with hard sounds, and pronounce "walk" like "wark."

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 10:58 pm

Never thought about it before.

Was amused once when a daytime TV host introduced a guest Chinese chef by saying "he woks on the wild side!" because the words sound similar.

But I dont think of them exactly alike. But yeah, if you heard me say the two words they would probably sound indistinguishable coming from my lips.

To me those new fangled Chinese stir fry things rhyme with "sock". And "walk" is "wall" with a "k" on the end. But I dont really SAY that "L" sound with any conviction . So yeah, my "walk" is pretty much the same as my "wok".

SilentJessica
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 May 2017, 8:07 am

Wok is "wock" and walk is "wark/wawk".

AQ: 40
RAADS-R: 149

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 8:32 am

My pronunciation was way worse when I was a (younger) kid. Now it ain't so bad. Though I do say things quite differently to most people, around me... It's like an accent of sorts.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 10:32 am

SilentJessica wrote:
Wok is "wock" and walk is "wark/wawk".

What is the difference between "wock", and "wawk"?

Never mind. I just figured it out.

"Walk" is "wa-ak" . There is a bit of glide to the "a". The vowel in "wok" is clipped short.

Of course if you live in upstate New York you will take "a whack around the black" (walk around the block).

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 11:55 am

Why are there so many topics and polls on how we pronounce things? Anyway, I think I say them pretty much the same way. I'm saying the two words to myself several times now to figure it out.

This reminds of the urban myth when the owner of a Korean restaurant asked a western couple on a trip if they'd like them to "wok" their dog, and the couple thought, "Oh how nice, they're going to 'walk' our dog while we wait for our food." And then they learned too late that they were horribly mistaken. But it's not true and it's a big huge racist stereotype.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

06 May 2017, 8:49 pm

Yes.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."