Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2017, 8:33 pm

whenever someone says a lot of positive stuff about me i get really nervous and i can't trust them, today i met a girl i had met online and she was all time saying how pretty i was and how incredible was that i was there etc and it was very weird and uncomfortable

enbalmed
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 May 2017, 8:56 pm

Yeah, compliments are one of those awkwardness generating things - you get one, and then don't know what to do with it. I'm also a bit suspicous of people who give them, I can't help questioning what someone wants from me when they compliment, because it often seems to precede a request of some kind.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 2:11 pm

We're so used to people saying rude and nasty things about us that when someone actually does say anything nice it naturally makes us suspicious.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 3:21 pm

I can tolerate one compliment and can buy it. But multiple and one after another, is suspicious... I also don't buy it from my therapist, because the compliment almost seems like loaded BS. Worse is fake nice people, IE someone on the clock doing the bare minimum to retain their job (but not actually helping).