Should kids be playing with toy weapons?

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2017, 6:57 pm

Should kids be playing with toy weapons? Yeah, I played with some myself when I was a kid, but sometimes I wonder if kids should really be playing with these things.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2017, 7:16 pm

Raptor doesn't seem to be around, so I'll take the obvious bait and fill in for him with the obvious answer, just for fun. :mrgreen:

No, kids shouldn't be playing with toy weapons, they should be taught to how use real ones in a safe and responsible way.

There Are Four Lights!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2017, 8:02 pm

children should be taught that guns are to be respected as the dangerous items they are. so that they are not "forbidden fruit," the parent needs to demonstrate the full destructive capabilities of guns, so the kids will know they are not to be trifled with. I would do this in a large outdoor area such as a gravel pit or such, and the kid would stand at a distance of at least 100 feet, s/he would wear eye protection but s/he would NOT wear hearing protection [hence the large area so the sound is not quite deafening]. the purpose of this [lack of noise muffling], is to make the guns seem as unattractive and obnoxious as they can be, within the bounds of safety. nothing like blowing up a red-colored block of ice with a picture of a face on it, to demonstrate that these weapons are just that, NOT TOYS. and NO TOY WEAPONS! not even any pretend weapon play, or anything suggestive of violence.

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2017, 9:15 pm

I played with water guns when I was a kid, and I turned out fine. My dad even taught me how to build a slingshot when I was a little girl. I turned all kinds of things into pretend weapons. A simple stick could be a sword, bo staff, or a gun depending on length, weight, and balance. Add a string, and it's a set of nunchucks. I had some sort of jumping thing that involved some sort of light plastic pole and string. I turned that into nunchucks pretty quick (after playing with it as a bo staff).

I don't think kids should be given realistic looking toy guns to play with though.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2017, 9:33 pm

I grew up with guns and turned out okay... Had BB and paintball guns when I was little. The first real gun I shot was an Bushmaster AR-15. But guns are a passion for me and fortunately, I had someone to teach me about them.

I have a small collection, still have another lower built that needs an upper.

Image[

I build them also, you can say it's my special interest.

EDIT:
This is the lower I finished a while back. Waiting on the $200 Tax Stamp from the ATF so I can make it a short barrel.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2017, 9:48 pm

auntblabby wrote:
children should be taught that guns are to be respected as the dangerous items they are. so that they are not "forbidden fruit," the parent needs to demonstrate the full destructive capabilities of guns, so the kids will know they are not to be trifled with. I would do this in a large outdoor area such as a gravel pit or such, and the kid would stand at a distance of at least 100 feet, s/he would wear eye protection but s/he would NOT wear hearing protection [hence the large area so the sound is not quite deafening]. the purpose of this [lack of noise muffling], is to make the guns seem as unattractive and obnoxious as they can be, within the bounds of safety. nothing like blowing up a red-colored block of ice with a picture of a face on it, to demonstrate that these weapons are just that, NOT TOYS. and NO TOY WEAPONS! not even any pretend weapon play, or anything suggestive of violence.

Yea, lets not do that... Very good chance you would do permanent hearing damage. For example, my AR-15 above (long rifle) shoots 5.56 MM out of a 16 inch barrel. Unsuppressed it's about 165 decibels and you will need hearing protection.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2017, 9:52 pm

SH90 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Yea, lets not do that... Very good chance you would do permanent hearing damage. For example, my AR-15 above (long rifle) shoots 5.56 MM out of a 16 inch barrel. Unsuppressed it's about 165 decibels and you will need hearing protection.

that is why I suggested the 100 foot distance the kid should be away from the weapon demo. my own dad fired a 30:06 rifle only a few feet from me, and as a result I've had life-long tinnitus.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2017, 10:01 pm

auntblabby wrote:
SH90 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

that is why I suggested the 100 foot distance the kid should be away from the weapon demo. my own dad fired a 30:06 rifle only a few feet from me, and as a result I've had life-long tinnitus.

Again, any reputable range would still require hearing protection. I'm not going to argue the merits of your demonstration... Because everyone has a strong opinion on guns and you can't change anyone's mind. But many children grew up with guns and with proper guidance, the majority end up being responsible members of society.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2017, 10:01 pm

My friends wouldn't let their boy have toy guns. He simply picked up a bent twig and said bang.

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2017, 10:20 pm

Quote:
He simply picked up a bent twig and said bang.

That was me. That was all the kids I played with. That's what kids do.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2017, 10:41 pm

I saw some neighbor kids get punished by their parents for play-acting with just their hands going "bang bang!" - they got a stern lecture that any kind of violence was not to be taken lightly nor made an object of sport.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2017, 10:49 pm

I think they should be allowed. I don't see any harm in it. I wish I was a kid, so I can play with toy guns.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

04 Jun 2017, 11:26 pm

I don't have a problem with it as long as people can quickly tell that the toy guns are not real. It's a shame when kids get shot & sometimes killed by police or gun enthusiast because they think it's a real gun.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2017, 11:31 pm

It's a sport, I am into 3 gun competition and it doesn't discriminate on age, race, or gender.

When I was younger, I played paintball and was a good way for me to socialize with classmates.

EDIT:

Last edited by SH90 on 04 Jun 2017, 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2017, 11:32 pm

if i watch the news and they show yet another report about a kid getting killed by cops because he was playing with a faux gun, i will scream.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2017, 11:39 pm

auntblabby wrote:
if i watch the news and they show yet another report about a kid getting killed by cops because he was playing with a faux gun, i will scream.

That's an issue of poor police training and a lack of parenting.

EDIT: I posted this as an edit on the previous page. But it should be watched...