Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 2:58 pm

Do you ever have dreams and know that it's a dream? I've sometimes had lucid dreams.

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 6:47 pm

I have vivid dreams almost every night but hardly ever lucid.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 6:49 pm

I tried lucid dreaming once but ended up with the ability to control my dreams while not knowing I was in a dream.

Ah well.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 7:03 pm

I have tried to train myself to lucid dream. I'm a bit out of practice but I can induce lucid dreams somewhat reliably although at the moment I can't keep them going for more then a few minutes before I wake up.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

Enceladus
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Oct 2017, 7:08 pm

In waking dreams I will try to summon girls and have sex with them but then when I'm getting ready I usually wake up, it's super annoying :x

I also spend a lot of frustrating time in some dreams looking for somewhere private to pee before I can have sex with the dream girls. And when I finally find somewhere I realise there might be a chance I pee in real life and then I wake up :roll:

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 7:26 pm

*Is Asexual*

I usually do things like mess with gravity, eat dream food, and run at super speed. At some point I would love to try to summon a portal gun like the one in the Portal games.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 7:32 pm

I've had a few dreams where I've woken up inside the dream, is that what you would call lucid dreamin?
When I wake up in dreams it's like I've developed super powers and everything has a breathtaking clarity, like I have binocular vision, and I can hear the ants breathe, etc. :lol:

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

11 Oct 2017, 4:10 am

I only have them occasionally & sometimes I don't know it's a dream until I'm close to waking up. I don't usually remember my dreams in general thou.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Froya
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 4:47 am

Raleigh wrote:
I've had a few dreams where I've woken up inside the dream, is that what you would call lucid dreamin?
When I wake up in dreams it's like I've developed super powers and everything has a breathtaking clarity, like I have binocular vision, and I can hear the ants breathe, etc. :lol:

Yes! That's lucid dreaming. How you describe it fits very well for me. It's like it feels more real then real life! I always went flying in those dreams. I haven't had a dream like that in decades.

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Oct 2017, 7:52 am

Yeah, I am pretty aware of dreaming most of the time. I'm just kind of floating along with it, knowing that it isn't real, but still a part of the dream. Sometimes I get completely aware, and then it's more as if I'm not a part of the dream anymore, but just looking at it from the outside. I can't really control it much, and I don't try to, because it hasn't worked out well in the past..
When I was younger I could control it just a tiny bit. I always started to fly as soon as I got lucid, but I always lost control. I went too fast and couldn't stop it. Often I flew into a tree or something, and spent most of the dream in a chaos of branches slapping me in the face. The same if I was running or jumping, it just got too fast or too high.
Or, it could turn into a nightmare, just because I came to think "Don't think of creepy stuff and turn this into a nightmare". And at the very same second, everything turned dark and the regular nightmare-stuff began appearing.

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 11:57 am

To be honest, I really wish I could lucid dream, I don't know how to wake myself up so I can walk around for about half an hour, then go back to sleep because I take sleeping medication due to my irregular sleeping pattern. :( If I could figure that out then I am sure it would make it more easier to try and lucid dream. But for now I will just have to be patient.

(Written on October 11, 2017)

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Oct 2017, 1:08 pm

LegoMaster2149 wrote:
To be honest, I really wish I could lucid dream, I don't know how to wake myself up so I can walk around for about half an hour, then go back to sleep because I take sleeping medication due to my irregular sleeping pattern. :( If I could figure that out then I am sure it would make it more easier to try and lucid dream. But for now I will just have to be patient.

That method works for some people, but it's not the only way to have lucid dreams.
Some can meditate themselves into one whenever, but that takes a lot of practice.
Doing reality checks regularly seems to be very helpful. Some would say they're overrated, but they helped me get into lucid dreaming to begin with. Nowadays I'm usually aware of being asleep, but I often do them anyway to make completely sure.
If you make them into a habit when you're awake, you'll be likely to do them in a dream as well, and thereby become lucid.

What I do is to close my mouth an pinch my nose and try to breath in. If no air comes through, I'm awake. But if I still can take a breath, it means my hand is not really pinching my nose, and therefore I'm asleep.

Other reality checks can be:

Drawing a symbol on your hand and look at it often. If you look, and the symbol is gone or changed, then you're in a dream.

Try to push your right hand finger through the palm of your left hand. Only works in a dream (but can be a bit creepy)

Look out for screens, mirrors, and any text. Those are things that become distorted in dreams. If you're trying to read something, but can't make out the words, you're asleep.

Look at a clock, look away and look back again. If the time changes you're dreaming. A clock could be distorted in a dream as well.

Jump. This one doesn't work for me, but do for many others. When you jump in a dream you're likely to "float" back down, or go a lot higher than you usually would.

I'm sure there are more, but these are the ones I know. I would choose one or two reality checks and try to do them as often as I could throughout the day. I heard 8 times per day would be the magic number, but I doubt that's true. It's probably a lot different from person to person.

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 1:33 pm

Embla wrote:
LegoMaster2149 wrote:

That method works for some people, but it's not the only way to have lucid dreams.
Some can meditate themselves into one whenever, but that takes a lot of practice.
Doing reality checks regularly seems to be very helpful. Some would say they're overrated, but they helped me get into lucid dreaming to begin with. Nowadays I'm usually aware of being asleep, but I often do them anyway to make completely sure.
If you make them into a habit when you're awake, you'll be likely to do them in a dream as well, and thereby become lucid.

What I do is to close my mouth an pinch my nose and try to breath in. If no air comes through, I'm awake. But if I still can take a breath, it means my hand is not really pinching my nose, and therefore I'm asleep.

Drawing a symbol on your hand and look at it often. If you look, and the symbol is gone or changed, then you're in a dream.

Try to push your right hand finger through the palm of your left hand. Only works in a dream (but can be a bit creepy)

Look out for screens, mirrors, and any text. Those are things that become distorted in dreams. If you're trying to read something, but can't make out the words, you're asleep.

Look at a clock, look away and look back again. If the time changes you're dreaming. A clock could be distorted in a dream as well.

Jump. This one doesn't work for me, but do for many others. When you jump in a dream you're likely to "float" back down, or go a lot higher than you usually would.

I'm sure there are more, but these are the ones I know. I would choose one or two reality checks and try to do them as often as I could throughout the day. I heard 8 times per day would be the magic number, but I doubt that's true. It's probably a lot different from person to person.

Thanks! I will try to practice it. If there is anymore advice from anyone, I gladly welcome it. :D

MagicKnight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Oct 2017, 2:40 pm

I am a lucid dream practitioner. I can lucid dream by my own will at night if I perform some simple exercises during daytime and before going to bed. I was once more disciplined though.

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Oct 2017, 2:58 pm

LegoMaster2149 wrote:
Embla wrote:
LegoMaster2149 wrote:

Thanks! I will try to practice it. If there is anymore advice from anyone, I gladly welcome it. :D

Well, there's the thing with keeping a dream-journal. When you keep writing the dreams down, the brain will know that it's the sort of information that you want to keep, so you will start to remember them better, and thereby notice patterns in your dreams that can make them easier to recognise. For example there might be an object or person that often appear, so when you see them, you'll know that you might be asleep.

I've found that if I read a lot about lucid dreams in the day, I'm more likely to get into one that night. That was how I started getting them in the first place. I wasn't trying anything to get there, I just started having them once I learnt they existed. At the time I was living with a bunch of hippies, and it was a frequent subject of conversation. So probably, just thinking about it a lot tells your brain what you want it to do, and it does.
I don't know if that works for everyone, but I do know people who gets lucid dreams by reading about it before they go to sleep.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 7:16 am

I've never had a lucid dream in my life. I can't imagine what it's like to have one.