What was life like in the 1980's?

Page 12 of 16 [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2018, 3:30 am

auntblabby wrote:
haven't seen any "freaky" lights but I did see at least 2 poltergeists :o

A lot of people claim poltergeists! not just things that go "bump" in the night?

Although my mother claims she saw a woman wearing a white dress walking along the railway tracks at night when she was a child. She was told by her elders that a young woman committed suicide on the tracks a hundred years before. Or so the story goes...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2018, 3:36 am

cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
haven't seen any "freaky" lights but I did see at least 2 poltergeists :o

A lot of people claim poltergeists! not just things that go "bump" in the night?

Although my mother claims she saw a women wearing white walking along the railway tracks at night when she was a child. She was told a young woman committed suicide on the tracks a hundred years before.

a few decades ago, about 1962, my mom went up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, with the lights off, she saw a glowing ghostly image of her mother's head floating in front of her, with a sad expression, grandmother had [unbeknownst to my mom] died a few days before. recently in my tin can, I saw a package of dry food sail across the room from a high shelf onto a cabinet. at a small grocery store in town I saw a package sail about 6 feet from a shelf onto the middle of the floor, there were multiple witnesses. when my mom died, a week later, up from the basement [nighttime] came a cacophony of wailing, whining, banging, thumping and rumbling, that lasted for about a minute until I couldn't stand it anymore, and I shouted "OK ALREADY I HEAR YOU!!" at which point the noise suddenly stopped.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2018, 4:14 am

:roll: huh?

free? after two years relationship i finally did break up,

one year of not knowing how to and then it was done badly

that landed me in a bad place, dangerous it turns out

that year in the underworld? and i saw it happen too,

Hephaestus fuelling the fire of the underworld
(i had only three books on greek mythology with me )

but wilder is the strange melange of secret service and occult things and psychiatry

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2018, 8:18 am

cyberdad wrote:

Allegedly, poltergeists are spirits who like to move objects around. I haven't seen too many things move on their own (one tried to drop a can of paint on my head one time), but we've had plenty of objects in the house go missing, only to turn up in places where they really should not have been. The most mysterious was when something had went missing very recently, and was found at the bottom of a box that had literally been gathering dust in a closet.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2018, 3:29 pm

I know of an academic conducting serious research on based on the geo-magnetics of the earth. He thinks there is reasons for high levels of poltergeist and UFO activity and and localised changes in the earth's magnetic field leading to plasma discharge (UFOs ball lightning and ghosts)

Curiously the earth is due for a geo-magnetic polar flip very soon

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2018, 12:38 am

cyberdad wrote:
I know of an academic conducting serious research on based on the geo-magnetics of the earth. He thinks there is reasons for high levels of poltergeist and UFO activity and and localised changes in the earth's magnetic field leading to plasma discharge (UFOs ball lightning and ghosts)

gosh :o what will happen to us when this happens?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2018, 2:07 am

auntblabby wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

I think when it happens (it's no longer a question of if)

The geomagnetic field is currently weakening, possibly because of a growing patch of reverse-alignment in the liquid core deep beneath Brazil and the South Atlantic. According to Tarduno, the strength of Earth's magnetic field "has been decreasing for at least 160 years at an alarming rate, leading some to speculate that we are heading toward a reversal."
https://www.livescience.com/18426-earth ... -flip.html

However the process may drag so if it's started the changes may only be gradual or sudden (we don't really know) resulting in things like Ozone depletion

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2018, 2:36 am

that reminds me of those Jack T. Chick religious tracts that useta blow around in the wind like the leaves from the trees- one in particular said some similarly alarming end-times things like how the solar radiation would become much more hostile [IOW holes in the ozone shield/magnetic field irregularities], leading to people all over the globe with skin problems [implied cancerous boils] and sustained nasty hot weather/violent storms and such.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2018, 2:54 am

auntblabby wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

We have to face the hard fact that the red arrow does not point to the north for a long time. The migratory animals will have it tougher since their natural ability to fly from A to B could get screwed up since they navigate using geo magnetism.

This is however offtopic and a discussion of what would happen could become an interesting thread of it's own.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2018, 3:27 am

auntblabby wrote:
that reminds me of those Jack T. Chick religious tracts that useta blow around in the wind like the leaves from the trees- one in particular said some similarly alarming end-times things like how the solar radiation would become much more hostile [IOW holes in the ozone shield/magnetic field irregularities], leading to people all over the globe with skin problems [implied cancerous boils] and sustained nasty hot weather/violent storms and such.

He died a few years ago. I remember reading of his demise on the wiki deaths page. Essential reading as you find so much out about personalities - who they were and so forth.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2018, 3:43 am

I remember back in the 80s [back on thread] that people like Hal Lindsay ("the late great planet earth") were plugging on talk shows their theories about how it was then "the end times" or that "the end times are close at hand."

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2018, 4:16 am

cyberdad wrote:
At the moment any discussion of personal experiences that fall within the bounds of the paranormal is put down (at best) to an over active imagination and (at worst) visual hallucinations

I can't erase any memory of the 70s without that particular reference point. I should say the lights were quite beautiful. watching them in the night sky from our house overlooking the Indian ocean.

The experience is almost identical to lights this video I found on youtube except I experienced them at 2-4am in the morning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2U3eh172VQ

The first one is a form of ball lightining. The second one may be "swarm bots"...autonomous drones. However not necessarily. It's merely a possibility.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2018, 5:13 am

Chronos wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
At the moment any discussion of personal experiences that fall within the bounds of the paranormal is put down (at best) to an over active imagination and (at worst) visual hallucinations

I can't erase any memory of the 70s without that particular reference point. I should say the lights were quite beautiful. watching them in the night sky from our house overlooking the Indian ocean.

The experience is almost identical to lights this video I found on youtube except I experienced them at 2-4am in the morning

The first one is a form of ball lightining. The second one may be "swarm bots"...autonomous drones. However not necessarily. It's merely a possibility.

I discounted ball lightning because the balls seemed to move under some type of intelligent control

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2018, 5:16 am

auntblabby wrote:
I remember back in the 80s [back on thread] that people like Hal Lindsay ("the late great planet earth") were plugging on talk shows their theories about how it was then "the end times" or that "the end times are close at hand."

Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher loom large for me in the 80s
Breakfast Club (movie and song "don't you forget about me")
Culture Club (the band)
Big hair
fluorescent jackets with shoulder pads
British music David Bowie, The Clash, Pink Floyd, ELO, Alan Parsons Project and Joy Division

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2018, 9:06 am

cyberdad wrote:

There has to be a connection between magnetic fields and paranormal activity. Even on shows like Ghost Adventures, sometimes they will check EM readings and get spikes during moments of high activity. Whether spirits are drawn towards these fields, or whether this natural energy is creating anomolies that we misinterpret as being supernatural, it's hard to say. Some even speculate that this magnetism holds onto past memories, and plays them back, much like a cassette tape.

In The Mothman Prophecies (the book, not the movie), there was a part where John Keel was describing a visit to the TNT area (if memory serves), and how there were strange energy fields where you would step into them and suddenly you would have feelings of intense fear. He managed to overcome his fear and experiment, and found that walking in and out of these areas would cause the fear to come and go.

I had something similar happen to me on Mackinac Island, inside of one of the buildings in Fort Mackinac. I walked through a doorway, and there was a small 2x2 foot area where I could feel this static electricity all over. I stepped back, and it was gone, then forward, and it came back again. It was really neat. I had been reading about ghost sightings on the island, and I think that may have been one of the rooms mentioned.

And yes, I know we've been going a little off-topic here, but I figure, why kill the conversation?

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2018, 9:31 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Chronos wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

I discounted ball lightning because the balls seemed to move under some type of intelligent control

The one around 1:11 is ball lightening. The physics of ball lightning is poorly understood but the phenomena often originates from cloud formations like this.