Why do movie theaters have a row of seats at the very front

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2018, 6:58 pm

Why do movie theaters have a row of seats at the very front right next to the screen? No one wants to sit there. Whenever I go to the movie theater that row is always empty. So why do they bother putting in that row?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2018, 7:20 pm

That's the one thing in the world that I was never able to figure out. I like to sit in the 10th row on a slightly higher plane.

greenheron
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Apr 2018, 4:50 am

If they took out that first row, then the second row would be the first row, and no one would sit in that row. This would continue until each row had become the first row, and ultimately there would be no seats. It is unlikely that people would pay money to view a movie in a theater in which they had to sit on the floor.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

30 Apr 2018, 5:25 am

Me & a friend sat in the 1st row 1ce when I was little but I don't remember any of it.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2018, 5:40 am

I sat on the front row when I saw Pulp Fiction... the only seats left. I remember John Travolta and Samuel L Jackson had jaws 12' wide and tiny pin heads... and I got a pain in my neck halfway through.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2018, 6:16 am

Well actually those seats do get filled when the movie and the time its shown are popular enough. Plus, there will always be a front row; if the first row was taken off the second would become first etc. Front row is also where the places for people with wheelchairs often are 'cause it's easier that way.

Seff
Raven
Raven

30 Apr 2018, 7:13 am

greenheron wrote:
If they took out that first row, then the second row would be the first row, and no one would sit in that row. This would continue until each row had become the first row, and ultimately there would be no seats. It is unlikely that people would pay money to view a movie in a theater in which they had to sit on the floor.

Exactly what the pedant in me thought when I saw the thread!

Seriously though, I know a few people who always want to sit at the front.
For me it’s as far back as I can sit.

Your neurodiverse score: 177 of 200
Your neurotypical score: 34 of 200

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2018, 8:53 am

I overheard some guys talking about this very issue this past weekend at the Avengers. They were wondering if they should have just waited for a later show instead of the front row seats. But someone said there weren't up to waiting another 45 minutes for the next show. I showed up early enough to grab the last 2nd row seat. Which, for me, is a lot better than a front row seat. The front row is too loud at the theater I go to.

Tirips
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Apr 2018, 7:45 pm

Trueno wrote:
I sat on the front row when I saw Pulp Fiction... the only seats left. I remember John Travolta and Samuel L Jackson had jaws 12' wide and tiny pin heads... and I got a pain in my neck halfway through.

That happened to me 2 years ago when I went with a few family members to go see a movie, forgot the name of it, Only seats available were in the front. Talk about having a intense migraine, neck pain. Never again will I do that to myself lol

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2018, 10:11 pm

They're for people who like to watch movies through the wrong end of binoculars.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2018, 10:28 pm

NewTime wrote:
Why do movie theaters have a row of seats at the very front right next to the screen? No one wants to sit there. Whenever I go to the movie theater that row is always empty. So why do they bother putting in that row?

For the same reason that airlines pack people like sardines. They want to be able to hold as many people as legally possible.

superaliengirl
Toucan
Toucan

01 May 2018, 5:03 pm

Good question. I hate those seats. Last time I went to the cinema they only had available seats left for that movie on the third row and even that was too close for me. My neck wasn't happy about it!

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2018, 12:55 am

I could think of nothing worse than sitting to close to the screen, i like to sit at the back up high.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2018, 1:40 am

I think it's a prehistoric throwback like the human appendix.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2018, 11:29 am

Beats me, why do stadiums have a "nosebleed section" where most people avoid sitting if they can it's so high you can barely see what's happening on the field, and is particularly unpleasant if you're afraid of heights? Or get nosebleeds? Although I've never heard of anyone actually getting a nosebleed just from the height.