New hobby/outlet: photography. Any suggestions/advice?

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

PM
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 11:31 pm

I think I have found an outlet for my time and energy in the form of photography. I got a camera for Christmas and it has been sitting in my desk collecting dust and I will take it out tomorrow and take pictures of various things that would be considered artful photograhy.

Any advice on what pictures I should take that would be considered art? Also I have heard people in this community reference a site called Deviantart would anyone advise posting photography there?

All suggstions are welcome. :)

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 11:39 pm

Well, first off, I'd suggest, if you're not familiar with them already, to do a bit of study-up on the principles of photography, including composition and lighting, among other things. It helps a lot, to be able to take the kinds of quality photos you might have in mind or come across the opportunity to take. As for what is considered 'art' in this day and age, that depends on who you ask. In the end, if you like it and think it's cool, that's all that really matters, I guess. Someone else out there is bound to share your opinion.

Deviant art is a good place to start if you want feedback and critiques of your work, but there are often trolls there who will shoot you down just because they can. I, and my brother and dad, tend to use Flickr or our Facebook accounts to post photos we've taken. I only post my best work to my dA account, and even then, I don't go advertising it on the forums there.

PM
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 9:08 am

edit, i'll try again with the image of the camera I will be usuing

PM
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 9:17 am

Photobucket image of the camera I will be using

Photobucket does not want to cooperate :roll: , I may have to try Imageshack or Flicker.

Mudkip
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Mar 2011, 6:23 pm

Here is a simple tip, when taking photos, press the take photo button half way down to get it into focus. When it is in focus, with your finger still pressing half way down on the take photo button, press the take photo button down the remaining way. I have taken many great photos doing this, including this one:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31068909@N02/2909856038/

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 6:26 pm

You're using a Vivitar camera?! Throw it out and buy a decent camera instead. They cost a bit more money but it's well worth it.

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 7:28 pm

Tequila wrote:
You're using a Vivitar camera?! Throw it out and buy a decent camera instead. They cost a bit more money but it's well worth it.

You're not one of those people who thinks decent or half-decent photos a can only be taken with an expensive camera and an entire suite of accessories and lenses, are you? Because I've got an old, dinky little Canon Powershot S230 Digital Elph sitting here on my desk that works just fine for the random, intermittent photography I do right now. While it's not what I'd like to be using, being a point-and-shoot, and it's nothing compared to my dad's and brother's cameras, it works just fine for what I do. If I feel like getting more into photography as a hobby, then I'll invest in a better camera. Same with videography.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 7:44 pm

Photography is my main obsession. I'd recommend reading the manual that came with the camera. Learn the different modes & settings so that you can change them without fumbling. A lot of shots are missed due to lack of experience &/or confidence with a camera. Also, check into your local library for books on different types of photography, if you don't wish to purchase them. What's your interest...portraiture, landscape, abstract, or something else? There's books available on pretty much any subject. I used to shoot mostly black & white infrared. However, I don't have a film camera that can shoot it specifically & I don't want to convert one of my digital cameras to IR only. I've branched out to other stuff now, & am still happily clicking away. Are all my photos great? No, but even the pros mess up now & then. I'm not a pro. Just someone who really loves photography, but I have earned some money on the side.

A good place to start to learn more about photography online is http://digital-photography-school.com
Lots of talented people, advice, etc. I'm not going to comment on the type of camera you use. The one that works for you is the one you know how to use & it feels comfortable in your hands. A better camera can be a step up of course, but start with the basics first.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

Mar1976
Raven
Raven

14 Mar 2011, 9:05 pm

For now, just take photographs, keep your camera with you at all times and if anything catches your eye, take a photo.

Any compact digital camera is going to be able to capture a reasonably good photograph, just point and shoot at the beginning and then learn a bit more about the different settings.

Get to know the camera and what it can do; then learn a bit more about techniques.

Then, buy an SLR camera!

Enjoy it and discard any photos you don't like; or better still get a film camera and learn from any mistakes made.

Last edited by Mar1976 on 14 Mar 2011, 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 9:09 pm

Zokk wrote:
You're not one of those people who thinks decent or half-decent photos a can only be taken with an expensive camera and an entire suite of accessories and lenses, are you?

No; not especially. Most compact cameras worth their salt can take crisp, well-defined photos in good light. Vivitar cameras are not one of them - they're cheap, bottom-of-the-barrel monstrosities with poorly-defined, often out of focus photos.

A cheap ELPH shouldn't cost that much more than the camera you're using now. A decent Canon ELPH is available on Amazon.com for about £75 inc. shipping. I can buy a brand new Nikon camera here for £58 new from Amazon UK.

There are lots of people who are into big SLRs with huge lenses and camera bags. I'm not one of them. My FZ38 and S95 do me grand. ;)

Grete
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2011, 10:28 am

I'd recommend you to get familiar with all basic photography terms and principles. It's also good to buy a nice photography book. And take loads of photos!
For inspiration, have a look at highly rated photos in various photography galleries and winning captures in competitions.

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2011, 12:59 pm

First step= get a digital SLR camera. I used to be bored out of my wits with photos, then bought a Canon 7d. Now I adore photography/videography. You don't need an expensive SLR, any SLR is oodles better than a snapshot one.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2011, 1:04 pm

Spazzergasm wrote:
You don't need an expensive SLR, any SLR is oodles better than a snapshot one.

It's also a very expensive hobby, what with wanting extra lenses. Also, DSLRs are conspicuous and heavy. A good compact will deliver fine photos in good light.

I would ask the OP what he actually wants his camera for. :)

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2011, 1:59 pm

You don't need a decent camera for art. There are folks who intentionally buy crappy cameras for artistic effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holga
The Holga is a common medium format 120 film toy camera, made in China, known for its low-fidelity aesthetic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lomography

Have fun!

Grete
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2011, 2:30 pm

There isn't always need to get a DSLR camera. I've got a solid point-and-shoot one (ultrazoom, with electronic viewfinder and manual controls) and - as a hobby photographer - I'm fine with it. I'll get a SLR only when I have enough money to buy body, lenses and other equipment.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2011, 3:05 pm

Grete wrote:
There isn't always need to get a DSLR camera. I've got a solid point-and-shoot one (ultrazoom, with electronic viewfinder and manual controls) and - as a hobby photographer - I'm fine with it. I'll get a SLR only when I have enough money to buy body, lenses and other equipment.

But I'd highly recommend investing in one after tons of practice with a P&S camera (if you wish to expand your horizons when it comes to photography.) If you really enjoy photography, I see no use in inhibiting your potentials by limiting yourself to something like a P&S camera. I'm only fifteen, but my interest in photography started when I was eight years old. I used a Point-and-Shoot (some sort of Canon PowerShot model... real crap) until I was about twelve; then, I started using my father's Canon Rebel XTi. I've recently started using my dad's Canon EOS 5D-Mark ii (and he's since ceased using the Rebel XTi; it's practically mine now.) Video quality is excellence, but that's aside from the point. :lol:

But, in response to the OP, I'd just experiment a bit for at least six months or so with the camera you have now before you make any further investments. A friend of mine purchased a Canon Rebel XS (a DSLR camera for those unfamiliar with camera models) after only a few months of experience with a point-and-shoot, and I had to teach her how to use it, and after that experience, I still think she should have stuck with her point-and-shoot for a little longer. But it was her investment and her choice. :P