Damn I might actually be in favor of global warming

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

colossalfailure
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Dec 2018, 9:33 pm

Right now Im laying in my bed as Im typing this and despite having 2 blankets on me and a warm laptop my feet are still cold because its freezing outside

I understand that global warming is bad, but in my experience the only people complaining about it are Cali and Florida residents who just dont want it to be too hot each summer

But as Im typing this post out Im contemplating how it wouldnt be that bad if we had winters that are less severe

Anyone else shares this sentiment?

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2018, 9:40 pm

That's a bit selfish.
There are people who live near the equator and suffer through heatwaves in winter.
What do we do, just cook?

colossalfailure

30 Dec 2018, 10:02 pm

Raleigh wrote:
That's a bit selfish.
There are people who live near the equator and suffer through heatwaves in winter.

AC

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2018, 10:10 pm

colossalfailure wrote:
Raleigh wrote:
That's a bit selfish.

AC

Affluent Effluent.

a01
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

Location: Sacramento area, California, United States of America

30 Dec 2018, 10:51 pm

colossalfailure wrote:
Right now Im laying in my bed as Im typing this and despite having 2 blankets on me and a warm laptop my feet are still cold because its freezing outside

I understand that global warming is bad, but in my experience the only people complaining about it are Cali and Florida residents who just dont want it to be too hot each summer

But as Im typing this post out Im contemplating how it wouldnt be that bad if we had winters that are less severe

I totally hear you, man! The Sacramento-area climate is awesome! I wouldn't want it to get any colder or for there to be any more precipitation than happens out here. (Yeah, I know, drought, blah, blah, blah.) Out here, if we want to experience snow, we just need to drive up into the mountains and the Lake Tahoe area.

In addition, I sort-of like when it gets triple-digits hot here for a while in the summer. One really neat thing about this area is that it's the sunniest place in the entire world for a few months around the summertime! Yup -- the little-old Sacramento region gets to be the sunniest place on the entire planet!

Plus, we're almost free of natural disasters around here. Yeah, we got the yucky smoke smell from a lot of the fires around California, and sometimes we get severe fog and bad ozone days. A few areas are prone to flooding. We don't get the earthquakes, except for some areas just barely feeling them from other regions once in a while. Overall, this area is very much a climate "oasis"!

I digress, though. Sorry to hear that the cold is getting to you!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2018, 10:04 am

"Climate change" is causing many problems, especially for residents of coastal regions. I would NEVER buy a house that's within a thousand feet of the ocean. I would bet that no insurance carrier would sell insurance to somebody who lives within a thousand feet of the ocean.

And it's not all "man made." It's, at least partially, normal geologic climate variation.

When I was a kid, the "beach" extended quite far away from the ocean. Nowadays, the ocean is much nearer. It's because of the raising of sea levels.

DystopianShadows
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2019, 11:25 pm

You wouldn't if you had to spend a summer in Louisiana.

Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?"

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2019, 11:26 pm

In all good conscience I owe you a ski lesson.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

stevens2010
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jan 2019, 11:02 am

colossalfailure wrote:

Well, I joke all the time that Thunder Bay Ontario will be the next tropical destination for vacations in the Winter, but it's true that when Canadians gain, equatorial people will face disaster, so it's wise not to gloat.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2019, 1:26 pm

Global warming will most likely make your winters more severe, it's energy in a system, not a number on a thermostat.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen: