Page 9 of 12 [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2024, 5:47 am

^ The White Knight arrives, to save us all from a little bit of humour in an otherwise grim topic/thread. :roll:

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

10 May 2024, 6:37 am

^ Not at all, it's a timely reminder.
See - viewtopic.php?f=24&t=420494#p9500198

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2024, 6:44 am

To be fair, only a Russian man too drunk with Vodka would hug a Siberian bear tho.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2024, 6:57 am

But it wasn't just "some humor" like a random knock knock joke - it was a "joke" that targeted women, and dismisses one of the exact issues being raised - the fact that some men don't take this issue very seriously. Also the fact that some men see a grim topic, and think the solution is to turn things into comedy hour :roll: :roll: :roll:

Lort forbid someone takes a serious issue seriously... better mock them too, for good measure, eh?

And anyways, what would you rather be defended by? A knight, or a clown?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2024, 7:44 am

Certain members saying that it’s just a bit bit of humor isn’t surprising considering the fact that they have been dismissive in various ways throughout this entire thread despite what people have shared here. It’s not like they ever engaged with this “grim topic” in an informed or supportive way.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2024, 8:04 am

uncommondenominator wrote:
But it wasn't just "some humor" like a random knock knock joke - it was a "joke" that targeted women, and dismisses one of the exact issues being raised - the fact that some men don't take this issue very seriously. Also the fact that some men see a grim topic, and think the solution is to turn things into comedy hour :roll: :roll: :roll:

Lort forbid someone takes a serious issue seriously... better mock them too, for good measure, eh?

You do this kind of thing in every applicable thread, pretty much, it's not limited to this one, nor contingent on the topic at hand.

Personally I like to take things in life with a bit of humour, even when a serious topic is at hand. That goes for male-centric topics as well as anything that resembles the associated subject area of the thread at hand. Everyone is different.

It's good to celebrate differences in various people and their characteristics. Inclusivity and all that!

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2024, 8:08 am

TwilightPrincess wrote:
Certain members saying that it’s just a bit bit of humor isn’t surprising considering the fact that they have been dismissive in various ways throughout this entire thread despite what people have shared here. It’s not like they ever engaged with this “grim topic” in an informed or supportive way.

I thought this topic resided in 'random discussion'? I didn't realise this was a support thread - I would have replied differently if it was a thread in 'the haven'.

You often imply that other people aren't 'informed' - that's funny that you should say that because I don't particularly find your posts very informing either.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2024, 8:13 am

“I know you are but what am I.” :lol:

In this thread, you have claimed that “male bashing” was going on which never happened. You said that the choice was a “no brainer.” You just don’t appear to understand the main point of the meme or why women respond to it the way they do. You’ve reacted to the topic instead of engage.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2024, 8:15 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
uncommondenominator wrote:

You do this kind of thing in every applicable thread, pretty much, it's not limited to this one, nor contingent on the topic at hand.

You don’t need to be a woman to support women or to recognize poor behavior, sexism, ignorance, etc.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2024, 8:23 am

TwilightPrincess wrote:
“I know you are but what am I.” :lol:

In this thread, you have claimed that “male bashing” was going on which never happened. You said that the choice was a “no brainer.” You just don’t appear to understand the main point of the meme or why women respond to it the way they do. You’ve reacted to the topic instead of engage.

Yet again, you misconstrue the meaning of what I have said.

I quote myself, in response to nick007's post:

blitzkrieg wrote:
"Some people actually seem to enjoy the prospect of male-bashing, so there is that to consider.

I agree that people should be judged by their personalities instead of what sex they happen to be."

Nick was saying that the meme in general makes men feel like they are hated and inclines women to feel scared (the general gist of his post). My post was a response to that comment - not an accusation of general male bashing in this thread.

I totally understand the content of the meme. The general gist of the meme is that women sometimes choose bear instead of man for this meme because they sometimes view men as predatory. It's not a particularly complex concept to get one's head around.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2024, 8:25 am

Humans make me wish I was a bear.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2024, 8:26 am

^^
Posts like this as well as engaging in levity made it appear that you don’t really understand the topic:

blitzkrieg wrote:
Another day, another reminder from the internet of the terrible nature of men. :roll:

The point is that it’s impossible to distinguish good men from bad men, so many women find the idea of being alone with a man threatening. It’s not implying that men have a “terrible nature.”

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2024, 8:33 am

TwilightPrincess wrote:
^^
Posts like this as well as engaging in levity made it appear that you don’t really understand the topic

The point is that it’s impossible to distinguish good men from bad men, so many women find all men threatening. No one is implying that men have a terrible nature or a worse nature than other humans.

I quote myself again:

blitzkrieg wrote:
Another day, another reminder from the internet of the terrible nature of men.

I did say "from the internet". If I was making a personal comment about anyone in this thread, including yourself, I might have said:

"Another day, another reminder from the internet Wrong Planet, of the terrible nature of men."

I didn't think anyone in this thread had implied anything about the terrible nature of men. That comment was in regards to the meme and its topic which originated elsewhere on the internet.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2024, 8:35 am

I didn’t claim that post was regarding anyone in this thread. Certain members express more concern about how men might be regarded than towards women who fear for their safety.

Making light of this topic, especially considering the stuff some have shared here, demonstrates that certain individuals don’t truly get it.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2024, 8:43 am

TwilightPrincess wrote:
I didn’t claim that post was regarding anyone in this thread. Certain members express more concern about how men might be regarded than towards women who fear for their safety. Making light of this topic, especially considering the stuff some have shared here, demonstrates that people don’t truly get it.

How men are regarded is a fairly common response to this meme topic and whilst perhaps a woman's safety might seem intuitively like a bigger deal, especially to women who read about this topic, that doesn't mean that how men are regarded isn't something worth commenting on.

If you don't like the nature of my comments in this thread, or how I prioritize what is, from your perspective, more worthy of discussion (i.e, the safety of women) - you are entitled to such an opinion of course, but your concerns aren't necessarily authoritative versus other people's. Everyone should be able to voice what they think on a given topic or discussion, as long as those opinions don't obviously break any rules?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2024, 8:48 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:
I didn’t claim that post was regarding anyone in this thread. Certain members express more concern about how men might be regarded than towards women who fear for their safety. Making light of this topic, especially considering the stuff some have shared here, demonstrates that people don’t truly get it.

How men are regarded is a fairly common response to this meme topic and whilst perhaps a woman's safety might seem intuitively like a bigger deal, especially to women who read about this topic, that doesn't mean that how men are regarded isn't something worth commenting on.

It’s fascinating to me that that’s the only thing some members have commented on, especially when it’s considered in the broader context of behavior. If people only see the discussion in terms of how they think it reflects on men, maybe it’s not surprising that they joke about it. It’s decidedly less funny when people think about fears of or real life experiences with sexual assault and harassment, not that I think any angle is particularly humor-worthy.