What times would you like to visit?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 8:57 am

If you had a time machine which could take you everywhere, what epoch would you like to visit? Would you be interested in being an eye witness of building of pyramids or maybe you always had a liking for times of medieval kings, crusades and plagues ravaging the Europe, like in 1348? Or maybe it's 19th century the time whose history you find fascinating?

Personally, I'd love to see everything by turns - dinosaurs ruling the Earth, savages dressed in skins of animals, later all those ancient guys from Rome and Greece and so on. Everything. All those important dates and events from human history.

I'd like to know the very beginning of our civilisation, to find out whether our globe was visited by aliens who were thought to be gods themselves by our ancestors and whether Atlantis existed.

Asparval
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 9:33 am

I'd like to see the Earth in pristine condition before people arrived and mucked it up.

But then my being there would spoil it so, no, I'd like to stay here, in the present (it's where I live).

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 9:44 am

May 6, 1954-When Roger Bannister became the first person to break the four minute mile and showed people it could be done

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 9:45 am

I would choose 1840s-1850s America, during westward expansion.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Asparval
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 9:53 am

9CatMom wrote:
May 6, 1954-When Roger Bannister became the first person to break the four minute mile and showed people it could be done

He,he, I like you, you're funny.

You win the prize for having the most interestingly focussed obsession (ie four minutes of history)

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 9:54 am

I'd like to go back to Roman days and give a counting tactical nuke to each of the Caesars, up to Constantine.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Sep 2007, 12:01 pm

I like Victorian England, Edwardian England and America. I'd also like to visit the Forest Primeval.

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 12:08 pm

Oh, ancient Greece, definitely. I would love to see the fabulous buildings, temples and statues of the gods.

Asparval
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 12:13 pm

Starr wrote:
Oh, ancient Greece, definitely. I would love to see the fabulous buildings, temples and statues of the gods.

You can see those now, although, admittedly surrounded by traffic and kebab shops.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Sep 2007, 12:15 pm

Their is so much of history I would love to visit, but I fear I would spend my years going back in time, so when I finally did arrive in the present I would already be long dead.

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 12:46 pm

Most of humanities history would be way too violent and disturbing, even for me. So I think I would rather go into the near future so that I could copy all the songs from my future self's Computer onto a Laptop and bring it back to my own time. :lol:

And possibly see some of the crazy sh**.

"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat, it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat." - Terry Bisson

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 1:12 pm

I would go back to 12th C to meet Eleanor Of Aquitaine.

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 1:26 pm

I'd like to go back to the ancient Romans as they had such an important part to
play in how the modern world developed. Apart from that I'm curious to see how they pronounced certain letters such as V (like W ? ) or C (like Ch ? ). That's something that no historical writings can ever reveal.
I wouldn't stay long though as people could be quite violent in those days !

Nafydalgol
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Sep 2007, 1:47 pm

Starr wrote:

Me too! I would like to time travel to about 340 BC and discuss philosophy with Aristotle. That would be really interesting.

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 3:02 pm

1960's

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 3:36 pm

The 1950s or the 1970s.