One of you should come up with a better AVS

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2020, 4:53 am

IMO

Auto Ventshade - these plastic car window thingies that keep rain out but allow you to open your window a bit for air.

It rains for ~8 months a year here and I like having my windows cracked, so, in theory these things are amaaaazing.. but in practice they’re kinda crappy.

I just installed a second full set of 4 on my car - this time following the directions ultra closely because while they are quite simple, every little step is critical to getting them into the right position. I even heated the garage so the adhesives are pliable. ..and, of course, just like the first set.. the last one, the drivers side door, broke during install & won’t seat properly sooo it’s guaranteed to catch on the window every time I open and close it until the end breaks off. The rest will take some time to get loose or catch and break - hopefully a long time. Sucks that the one I use the most is cracked, won’t align properly, and is going to generally be annoying as it catches and clicks every time I close the window until it breaks more. Blah blah.

They’re not super expensive, but you can’t just buy the one you need.. either the front pair or full set of 4. Plus it’s a waste of plastic and transportation etc to replace them frequently.. so I had the first set for a few years and the back two had flown off in the wind already, the front two were cracked but still fairly functional.

I think they’re made out of PET (pop bottle plastic) and they’re supposed to stick in the window channel with the double sided tape that comes on them. They should be made of something Slightly more flexible/less brittle & have a bit thicker & stickier double sided tape. They shouldn’t break So Easily during install - so many people have issues with installing them, even when following directions carefully. I’m sure you’ve seen many broken or missing ones on cars.

Anyways, they run about $100ish for a set. I would pay DOUBLE for a set that didn’t break during installation or normal use and didn’t fly off in the wind after a couple years. Would be worth the $ not to be irritated by looking at the broken thing or hearing it catch and click on the window every time it opens/closes.

Someone put your materials engineering & design skills to work and solve this problem! Even at twice the price they’d sell like hot cakes if they worked like they’re supposed to.

In the meantime, I’ll use this set until they break & fly off in the wind and then order another pair/set as needed - whether that’s soon or in another couple years who knows.. but man what a waste of plastic & stupid irritating thing that really should be resolved by Someone making a better one.