08 Aug 2008, 12:23 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aph-3zEacuw[/youtube]

Wow!! !!

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 4:04 am

Heh, I got a couple of designs in my workshop for neo-flamethrowers, I think they are ripe for a reinvention. My most promising design isn't actually a flamethrower per se, but is more of an pneumatic incendiary bolt projector. That particular design is kind of low on my priorities list at them moment though, I've got a few more conventional firearms designs that are more economically promising.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 4:31 am

Dox47 wrote:
Heh, I got a couple of designs in my workshop for neo-flamethrowers, I think they are ripe for a reinvention. My most promising design isn't actually a flamethrower per se, but is more of an pneumatic incendiary bolt projector. That particular design is kind of low on my priorities list at them moment though, I've got a few more conventional firearms designs that are more economically promising.

I hope you make some money; sounds cool to design weapons. Do you know chemistry/physics?

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 4:33 am

8)

have to build me one of those, and by quincidence
i got some liquid naphta on a shelf :)
*rubbing hands together and making a mwa-ha-ha sound*

^
""pneumatic incendiary bolt projector""
8)
lots of fun to have with pneumatics

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 4:47 am

ImTheGuyThatDidThat wrote:
8)

have to build me one of those, and by quincidence
i got some liquid naphta on a shelf :)
*rubbing hands together and making a mwa-ha-ha sound*

^
""pneumatic incendiary bolt projector""
8)
lots of fun to have with pneumatics

It's not just the petrol, you also need some ionic compounds which perform highly exothermic reactions in the presence of water, as well as an emulsifying agent to hold the ionic compounds in the purely covalent petrol.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 5:00 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
I hope you make some money; sounds cool to design weapons. Do you know chemistry/physics?

My education is fairly basic in the classic sense, the degree I hold is actually in gunsmithing (not the kind you get mail order, an actual 2 year degree). That sorta means I'm long on the actual means of constructing things, if a little short on the theoretical side. In practical terms it means I'm a little more dependent on tinkering with prototypes than I ought to be, but I like tinkering. Many of my designs have more to do with the mechanics of the weapon than redesigning the physics behind it, I have a natural gift for applying a principle learned one place to a different set of problems. I'm still brainstorming on a few different designs for flame weapons, as I said I think they've been allowed to languish, especially given how suitable they are for the sort of house to house fighting we're encountering in Iraq. I'm moving at the end of the month to a place with more space to tinker, so I also might dig out an old design I drew up for modified thermite grenade. I had the idea of using finely powdered thermite as the dust in an atomized particle charge, with magnesium pellets as the igniter. If it worked, that sucker would burn all the air out of a structure and force anyone in it to come out post haste. It'll definitely take some testing though, fortunately for me there is nothing illegal about thermite so I should be able to test a small scale prototype fairly easily.