Large Hadron Collider - NOT an end of the world thread!

Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

miserylovescompany
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2008, 3:43 am

So who's interested/exited about this machine? As soon as I personally found out about it, after sifting through piles of doomsday nonsence about how it could cause mini black holes capable of engulfing the earth, I actualy thought it was a very interesting creation. I highly doubt it will shed any light on exactly what our universe is made up of though. The Higgs Boson may or may not show up and even if it does that only goes some of the way to solving the puzzle, like one slice of pizza, the Higgs Field maybe 2 slices. What about everything else though? What about LIFE, life sustaining planets within our own galaxy are very possible and the odds of life in our universe are almost 99.99% certain for life existing outside earth.

As for the end of the world nonsence, this is doomsayers, bible bashers and possibly power giants fearful of energy developments, teaming up with the oddball scientists to create a very annoying distraction from something truly amazing. The guys at CERN are geniuses on the same level as Einstein, Tesla and all the other great brains of science & physics. There is no way that if they or any of the funding countries saw this as as big a risk the internet gossips are saying it would go ahead. The machine does nothing nature does not do all around us every second of every day in the form of cosmic rays. I personaly doubt that any human is capable of producing a black hole with that velocity, black holes are voids in space created as a star dies, not in a controlled lab. If black holes could be made by the conditions of the big bang, then why were they not made when it happened? Why was everything not destroyed there and then? Nonsence.

Also as they say, it could lead on to research & development of safer energy sources, something which will soon be too little, too late for the planet.

The LHC and it's possibilities are amazing, but I hope the next machine we buld on that scale is a telescope capable of probing deeper into distant solar systems looking for life.

Last edited by miserylovescompany on 10 Sep 2008, 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

AussieMatt
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Sep 2008, 3:51 am

miserylovescompany
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2008, 3:53 am

I already know it's not going to destroy the world lol, just asking what everyone thinks of it's potential for developments.

intense
Toucan
Toucan

10 Sep 2008, 5:41 am

Well the potential for exciting new discoveries are definitely there but even the scientists themselves have no idea what they might find that's why they've dubbed it the discovery machine.

One of the things they would love to discover the most is proof of the fabled Higgs boson or "god particle" there is a significant risk that they won't discover anything of great importance, if so it will be one of the most expensive scientific failures in history 8O However if you don't try these things we can't learn and move forward.

I really hope they do discover something spectacular that will help us to further understand the origins and workings of the universe VERY interesting and exciting times ahead :D

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2008, 5:44 am

There was some news here on tv now, parts of
the cooler-system has broken down they say.
Things might get a little hot

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2008, 6:17 am

So far, nothing yet.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

intense
Toucan
Toucan

10 Sep 2008, 6:54 am

ImTheGuyThatDidThat wrote:
8O

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2008, 7:03 am

has it happened yet?

intense
Toucan
Toucan

10 Sep 2008, 7:08 am

digger1 wrote:
has it happened yet?
Yep we're all dead this is heaven! :D I must admit I did expected it to be better than this though it's exactly like my house it even has my old computer in here!

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2008, 7:30 am

intense wrote:
8O

I`m trying to find out more, it was an extra
news broadcast just to tell about the cooler
break

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2008, 7:31 am

Hmm, that explains why Stargate is on all day.

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2008, 7:33 am

intense wrote:
digger1 wrote:
has it happened yet?
Yep we're all dead this is heaven! :D I must admit I did expected it to be better than this though it's exactly like my house it even has my old computer in here!

if this is heaven i`m going to be sooo pissed...

intense
Toucan
Toucan

10 Sep 2008, 7:44 am

intense wrote:
digger1 wrote:
has it happened yet?

if this is heaven i`m going to be sooo pissed...
:lol: Yeah but then again us aspie's don't like change either....easy come easy go 8)

eigenvalue
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Sep 2008, 8:01 am

The world can't end. I haven't set up my new 42" HDTV yet.

intense
Toucan
Toucan

10 Sep 2008, 8:07 am

eigenvalue wrote:
NICE is it plasma or lcd? I only ask as I want to get one, I have preferred the plasmas I've see over the lcd ones so far.

Sorry I couldn't be more off topic :oops:

eigenvalue
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Sep 2008, 8:53 am

intense wrote:
eigenvalue wrote:
NICE is it plasma or lcd? I only ask as I want to get one, I have preferred the plasmas I've see over the lcd ones so far.

Sorry I couldn't be more off topic :oops:

1080p LCD Toshiba. The LCDs have brighter colors than the plasmas, and no risk of burn-in. Hey, it's sort of related - it's physics in action. :wink: