Write a medical advance directive and post it in here!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2009, 4:11 pm

Here's mine:

1. Regardless of my condition, please assume that I have full cognitive function and am aware of what is going on around me, and treat me accordingly. Do not treat me like an animal, a machine, a child, a ret*d or, most of all, an inanimate object.

2. Regardless of the condition I am in when you tell me, I want you (the medical staff) to tell me the whole truth and nothing but the truth about my condition, IMMEDIATELY, as well as what happened to me. I want to be treated like I can handle bad news as well as good news. And I also need to know because if you don't tell me what happened to me, I might think something worse happened to me.

3. If I can't move, and especially if I can't talk either, please stimulate me by talking to me, touching me, reading to me, turning on the TV for me, taking me places, etc. And if you run out of positive things to do with/say to me, tell me about negative things, rather than nothing at all.

4. If I am declared dead, please leave my remains alone in a non-freezing environment until they begin to decompose, to ensure that I am really dead.

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2009, 6:25 pm

If I'm in a coma, please do not shave my face.

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Mar 2009, 7:21 pm

do not drop life support if im in a coma.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2009, 8:06 pm

Ana54 wrote:
Here's mine:

1. Regardless of my condition, please assume that I have full cognitive function and am aware of what is going on around me, and treat me accordingly. Do not treat me like an animal, a machine, a child, a ret*d or, most of all, an inanimate object.

2. Regardless of the condition I am in when you tell me, I want you (the medical staff) to tell me the whole truth and nothing but the truth about my condition, IMMEDIATELY, as well as what happened to me. I want to be treated like I can handle bad news as well as good news. And I also need to know because if you don't tell me what happened to me, I might think something worse happened to me.

3. If I can't move, and especially if I can't talk either, please stimulate me by talking to me, touching me, reading to me, turning on the TV for me, taking me places, etc. And if you run out of positive things to do with/say to me, tell me about negative things, rather than nothing at all.

4. If I am declared dead, please leave my remains alone in a non-freezing environment until they begin to decompose, to ensure that I am really dead.

I don't exactly understand this. Is this supposed to be jokingly or serious?

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 9:02 pm

It can be joking or serious, but tell if you're joking or serious.

Here's my revised one.

My advance directive for family, friends and medical staff:

1. Regardless of my condition, please assume that I have full cognitive function and am aware of what is going on around me, and treat me accordingly. Do not treat me like an animal, a machine, a child, a ret*d or, most of all, an inanimate object. Talk to me (and talk like I am an intelligent human being) even if I can't talk back to you or don't appear to be paying attention.

3. Regardless of the condition I am in, the medical staff must IMMEDIATELY tell me EVERYTHING about EVERY treatment option I have, and if it is an emergency and they are already treating me, they must IMMEDIATELY tell me what they are doing to me and why.

4. If I can't move, and especially if I can't talk either, please stimulate me by talking to me, touching me, reading to me, turning on the TV for me, taking me places, etc. And if you run out of positive things to do with/say to me, tell me about negative things, rather than nothing at all. I would rather hear bad news than be ignored, or have you sit there looking at me but doing nothing else, which is as good as ignoring me.

5. Please do all the tests to ensure that I am dead if you suspect that I am.

Last edited by Ana54 on 11 Mar 2009, 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 9:09 pm

If I am ever injured and become brain-dead, pull the plug if it is costing my family anything to keep me alive.

Those who know, don't speak.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 10:17 pm

I reworded mine and added some things.

My advance directive for family, friends and medical staff:

1. Regardless of my condition, please assume that I have full cognitive function and am aware of what is going on around me, and treat me accordingly. Do not treat me like an animal, a machine, a child, a ret*d or, most of all, an inanimate object. Talk to me (and talk like I am an intelligent human being) even if I can't talk back to you or don't appear to be paying attention. Because I might be more conscious and aware than you think.

2. Regardless of the condition I am in when you tell me and regardless of how bad the news is, I want you (the medical staff) to tell me the whole truth and nothing but the truth about my condition, IMMEDIATELY, as well as what happened to me. I want to be treated like I can handle bad news. The only thing that traumatizes me is people treating me like I can't handle trauma. Also, I also need to know because if you don't tell me what happened to me, I might think something worse happened to me.

3. Regardless of my condition, the medical staff must IMMEDIATELY tell me EVERYTHING about EVERY treatment option I have, and if it is an emergency and they are already treating me, they must IMMEDIATELY tell me what they are doing to me and why.

4. If I can't get up, or can't move at all, and especially if I can't talk either, please stimulate me by talking to me, touching me, reading to me, turning on the TV for me, taking me places, etc. And if you run out of positive things to do with/say to me, tell me about negative things, rather than nothing at all. I would much rather hear bad news than be ignored, or have you sit there looking at me but saying and doing nothing, which is as good as ignoring me. I would rather watch bad news about what happened to me on TV than lie there staring at the walls.

5. Please do all the tests to ensure that I am dead if you think that I am.

6. I can speak for myself unless I'm unconscious. Don't ask other people questions about me before asking me.

7. Do not give me any amnesia drugs unless I ask for them. I want to remember my experience, be it good or bad.