Page 2 of 7 [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2014, 3:20 pm

i can speak, write and read english and spanish, and i'm learning to read the greek, cryllic, and hebrew scripts. (not the actual languages!)

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2014, 8:11 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
i can speak, write and read english and spanish, and i'm learning to read the greek, cryllic, and hebrew scripts. (not the actual languages!)

Hungarian? (going by your username)

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2014, 8:06 pm

English is my mother tongue, but I can speak, write, and understand a fair bit of Spanish. My one weakness in both languages however is slang I can almost guarantee I would not be able to understand if any slang is used.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2014, 3:17 pm

OJani wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:

Hungarian? (going by your username)

nope! you're not the first to have asked me that.
i'm mexican-american, i just chose my username because i think the word looks cool, but i was careful to not choose an offensive one. it means "trial".

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

King_oni
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Nov 2014, 8:29 pm

Speaking; Dutch, English, German and the local flavor; Limburgs
Understanding while reading to some extent; Spanish, French, Portguese, Russian, Italian, Danish, Norwegian, Swedish

I suppse a few related languages come to mind such as Afrikaans. With it's close ties to Dutch I suppose I can understand it for a large part.

And then there's a handful of more obscure things I've tinkered around with; Polari, Bargoens, Klingon, Casthitan, Irathient.

I'm the worst with learning grammar though. I do everything intuitively, but have a pretty high success rate with it, heh.

I've given Japanese a shot and it's probably easier than I think it is. Just... meh... I probably should spend more time on it. But that knowledge is pretty much non-existent. Much like that short stint of Gaelic.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 12:50 am

^nice! that is some talent.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 1:59 am

Speak and read/write: Dutch, Russian, French, and English.
Can't speak fluently but can read and understand: Latin, ancient Hebrew, Farsi, Attic Greek, Ionian Greek, Koine Greek, Arabic, Aramaic, Gaelic, Norse, Sanskrit, old Yiddish, old English, and a smattering of dialects from the German tribes after the fall of Rome. I have had a hard time with Asian languages, especially the ones with a unique symbol for everything, but I have tried calligraphy and am starting to learn more and more symbols. There are all kinds of fictional languages that I'm into as well. I've always been driven to learn more because there are so many more books I want to read, mostly historical manuscripts.

SameStars
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2014, 2:58 pm

I'm fluent in Dutch and English. I'm learning Russian, but I'm pretty much still a beginner.

PurpleStrawberry
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Dec 2014, 4:02 pm

My native language is Norwegian, and I can also speak English. However, I do understand a lot of Danish and Swedish. I also understand a little (and know a few words in) German and French.
Currently learning Arabic (beginner) and I know a few words in Turkish, but I really want to learn it properly :p

Xanthic~Rain
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Dec 2014, 11:48 am

Ich spreche einige Deutsch

(Hope I wrote that right)

SameStars
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2014, 12:22 pm

Xanthic~Rain wrote:

My knowledge of German is very limited, but I haven't seen einige used like that before. I've learned it like Ich spreche ein bisschen Deutsch, or other variations. I'm curious to read the thoughts of someone who knows the language.

Xanthic~Rain
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Dec 2014, 1:15 pm

Yeah, I've never had an instructor or lived in the country. I've had to try teaching myself, and I'm up against a wall with what I can teach myself. Thank you for the correction.

King_oni
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Dec 2014, 7:30 pm

Xanthic~Rain wrote:

If anything, I suppose one could say "einiges" though it sounds a bit like google translate German, lol. "Ein bisschen..." like SameStars already said suits it better.

To me Einiges comes across as "some things" while Bisschen actually means "a little (bit)". They could both apply to the same subject, but I guess they could also fall under that entire grammar thing along the lines of "much" and "many" which people mix up in English quite often.

There's probably more to it in a linguistic sense, but I do most of my language thingies intuitively (which also means I might not be the best teacher for someone to learn a language; or any other skill for that matter).

SameStars
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 11:32 am

Xanthic~Rain wrote:
Yeah, I've never had an instructor or lived in the country. I've had to try teaching myself, and I'm up against a wall with what I can teach myself. Thank you for the correction.
You're welcome. And I can relate. I've been learning Russian by ways of computer and some textbooks, and it's challenging on your own.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2014, 12:34 am

Native language? Filipino >.< Tagalog if being more specific as dialect (I'm not sure which is the exact term, but people here kept debating that it's either a dialect or a language instead due to pride against another). Either of those are starting to be neglected but encouraged by locals to foreigners. And seems I might be alone here... XD

Then english. o.o Which I preferred. Filipino english is quite hilarious when translated and compared to American english sometimes.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 11:46 am

English, French, Latin and Ancient Greek.

Very small amounts of German and Italian.