Page 5 of 9 [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2016, 12:40 am

Do you still understand it if you write it down and read it a year later?

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2016, 12:47 am

Hmm...maybe. It depends on what it relates to, I guess. I make stuff up all the time and forget it later.

When I was young I invented my own phonetic alphabet with symbols I'd created. Then I wrote journal entries in code (in a notebook). I think I either lost or threw away most of it.

Each English sound had a specific symbol. It was right when I was really getting interested in languages and sound, and I wanted to see if I could hear all the individual sounds in English which are not represented in the alphabet or even acknowledged by anyone other than linguists. So I made my own limited phonetic alphabet.

At this point I doubt I'd remember any of it.

Memphisto
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jan 2016, 4:34 pm

Yigeren wrote:
I was actually just reading about the Japanese language and pitch accent the other day. I read that foreigners are often not taught about pitch accent at all, or very little. Apparently this is one major way that makes a foreigner sound "foreign" to the native Japanese speaker's ear.

I would strongly encourage you to try to master as much of the spoken language as you can if you want to be able to communicate effectively. A person who knows a language quite well but has a very strong accent will have difficulty being understood despite his or her knowledge.

I watch videos on YouTube of native Mandarin speakers teaching Mandarin. Some of them know English very well but are just so difficult to understand initially because of the accent.

Actually it's funny but after talking to you, I was reading about it again myself. Yeah, I read the same stuff about learners not really being told about it. I definitely want to master pitch accent and learn to sound as native as possible. Right now, I'm embarrassed to say I've never really spoken the language yet. This stems from many factors. A lot of it is shyness, sadly. :oops: So far, I've just chatted to a few native speakers via email and Line. I'm too shy to talk on voice chat. :( Hopefully I manage to get over my anxiety eventually.

Also, despite what I said in my last post... I'm afraid that I might be bad at telling pitch,after all. I've thought about it some more and realised I never really know what people mean when they talk about pitch. For example, when people say men usually talk in a monotone and women talk more 'up-and-down' ... :roll: I can't really hear it. I definitely hear extreme pitches, and I can tell the difference between notes of music, but I think I may have trouble with subtle vocal pitches.

Also your invented alphabetic sounds like it was cool, Yigeren! I toyed around with ideas of doing something like that when I was younger, but never actually stuck with it and made up anything.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2016, 4:47 pm

Spanish, Latin, and ASL.

I don't want to learn to SPEAK Latin; I just want to learn it, for prefixes, suffixes, and derivatives' sake.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 11:09 pm

As for now, I am taking an online course that covers most of the basics.
The online course is called Mango Languages.

You are American.
Eres estadounidense.

They aren't from Mexico and don't speak Spanish.
Ellos no son de Mexico y no hablan Espanol.

I am from the US.
Yo es de los Estados Unidos.

I speak a little bit of Spanish.
Hablo un poco de Espanol.

Where are they from?
De donde son ellas?

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2016, 12:32 am

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
I am from the US.
Yo es de los Estados Unidos.

Yo soy de los Estados Unidos; better just Soy de los Estados Unidos unless you want to emphasize the subject.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2016, 6:26 am

Yes, I was taught that many pronouns are unnecessary in Spanish, unless used for emphasis. We didn't use subject pronouns when I took Spanish in middle school. The verb form indicates the subject of the sentence.

Lightbulb12345
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Feb 2016, 8:47 am

I speak English and French fluently and Spanish at a high-ish level. Currently learning Irish and Swedish. Want to learn German and Hebrew.

FadingInvidia
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Mar 2016, 8:10 am

I want to learn swedish and german and maybe some more russian. :). Anyone to help me? :).

schweineloeffel
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Mar 2016, 8:35 pm

German which I already speak decently but not fluently.
Ukrainian which I've been learning for a year but I'm still terrible.
Russian, Polish, Welsh, Cornish, Cherokee, Latin...
For me the list is really endless but I have to start somewhere.

tatals
Raven
Raven

18 Mar 2016, 9:48 pm

I'm currently learning German and trying to go back to Japanese. Next, I hope to learn Russian.

deafghost52
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Mar 2016, 8:31 pm

FadingInvidia wrote:
I want to learn swedish and german and maybe some more russian. :). Anyone to help me? :).

Хочите учить русский язык? :) Я вероятно могу помогать

-- Claude Debussy

FadingInvidia
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Mar 2016, 6:40 pm

deafghost52 wrote:
FadingInvidia wrote:

Хочите учить русский язык? :) Я вероятно могу помогать

Omg really??? . Срасибо!! :). I understand most of russian but Idk how to talk or make conversation and my grammar is bad.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2016, 3:08 pm

Here is a link for anyone who wants to learn foreign languages at your own pace:

https://www.mangolanguages.com/

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2016, 1:10 am

i wish i could be fluent in italian. i kinda feel guilty that i'm technically italian but still have so much trouble actually speaking the language. it's like inviting trouble if i even mention that "i'm italian". dirty secret... on the other hand, that feels like a silly reason. so i end up not studying it

i'm learning spanish, and i do intend to become fluent, as it's obviously a very useful language, and i'm possibly moving to a spanish-speaking country in the near future (which is another reason to forget about italian at least for now. it gets confusing!). maybe i'll learn norwegian eventually, but probably not. other than that, latin would definitely be interesting, and icelandic too. but since both are just for fun and have little real-world use, they can always be "something for me to do when i retire". no rush

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2016, 2:34 am

I'd love to learn French...not that I have any discernible reason for doing so, I've just always considered it to be a particularly lovely and engaging language.