Page 3 of 9 [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2015, 5:48 am

I hereby foretell I shall never learn a new language again. Take note, future, old, pathetic Spiderpig! No matter how much you'd like to, your determination is futile. I hereby laugh my frozen ass off at you through the mists of time. Ha, ha, ha!

Rezisto estas senutila.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2015, 6:12 am

Sanskrit

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2015, 6:27 am

Spanish by the end of this year, Arabic and Hebrew next year, Russian the following, and Mandarin after that. I'd also like to learn French, German, and Latin when I get into my 40's.

Nicola2206
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Sep 2015, 6:02 pm

German, Polish, Czech, Slovak. All fluently.

AQ Score: 40

SQ: 52
EQ: 5

Empathizing - systemizing mixed test version results

ReticentJaeger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2015, 9:19 pm

Irish
Esperanto

I may pick up Norwegian again.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2015, 8:19 pm

Sanskrit, Latin, Pali, Hindi

deafghost52
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Nov 2015, 8:32 pm

Я знаю немного русски тепер, и я хочу, чтобы учить больше. Я думаю, что русский язык очень красивый! :D
Ya znayu nemnogo russki teper, i ya khochy, chtoby uchit' bol'she. Ya dumayu, chto russkij yazyk ochen' krasivyj!

With a little help from Google Translate to polish it up, I typed that using the Mnemonic Russian Language pack for Windows 10. It means: "I know a little Russian now, and I want to learn more. I think that Russian is a very beautiful language!" I took a little bit in college (two semesters), tried reading Братья Карамазовы (The Brothers Karamazov) in Russian (got through a hundred pages or so), and now I've tried to read a little bit of Метро 2033 as well.

I'd like to learn other Slavic languages, as well as Germanic, Nordic, Celtic, and Romance languages (I took Spanish in middle/high school). I might try my hand at Arabic as well (there was a really awesome Libyan guy who worked at my last job that I like a lot - his name was أحمد or Ahmed).

-- Claude Debussy

Baudouin
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Jan 2016, 12:47 pm

I'm currently learning Italian through Duolingo. I started Russian a few years ago. I'd like to take Russion lessons again.

http://www.somebaudy.com

Ishi2
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2016, 1:03 pm

I haven't quite mastered English yet. lol

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2016, 1:20 pm

Sometimes I wish I could brush up on my single year of Latin, simply because my parents told me off for carrying the material away with me to keep my limited command of the language fresh. I have since lost the material, and, at this point, I’d almost have to start from scratch. Besides, I can’t help feeling guilty, as learning Latin seems to serve no purpose other than showing off how much time you can afford to spend on utterly impractical tasks.

Esperanto is only marginally better in this respect, though I’m fascinated by its culture—yes, it does have one.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Kenya
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2016, 10:24 pm

Spanish, French, Latin, and Japanese. I already know some Spanish, but not much.

Last edited by Kenya on 07 Jan 2016, 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2016, 10:44 pm

Mandarin Chinese (currently studying), Spanish, French, a Scandinavian language (I'm not sure which yet, I like all of them), possibly sign language. I find a lot of other languages interesting, such as Mongolian and Hebrew, but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to learn that many.

I like Mandarin and I feel it's very useful and interesting.

I first started learning Spanish in middle school. The class went too slowly. The lessons lasted for what seemed like forever, and I had mastered the concepts already and wanted to move on. This created a sort of negative attitude towards learning the language that lasted quite awhile. I know it's a very useful language, but the negative experience stuck with me. I hope that when I become fluent in Mandarin, I will be fully ready to start learning Spanish again.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2016, 10:48 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
Sometimes I wish I could brush up on my single year of Latin, simply because my parents told me off for carrying the material away with me to keep my limited command of the language fresh. I have since lost the material, and, at this point, I’d almost have to start from scratch. Besides, I can’t help feeling guilty, as learning Latin seems to serve no purpose other than showing off how much time you can afford to spend on utterly impractical tasks.

Esperanto is only marginally better in this respect, though I’m fascinated by its culture—yes, it does have one.

I've always wanted to learn Latin but my school didn't offer it. I feel it's useful because so much of our history is in Latin, and many languages are derived from it.

I briefly studied Esperanto as a teenager, but I didn't stick with it. I was teaching myself, and there were far fewer resources then than there are now.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2016, 8:09 am

If you want to be a Medieval/Renaissance scholar, you have to know Latin.

Peacesells
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2016, 9:28 pm

Spiderpig wrote:

Some learning material can be found online too. I am just an amateur but if you or someone else want some help in learning it or want to ask something about it, feel free to PM me.

camenzind
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Jan 2016, 10:50 am

I would like to learn Persian, Kurmanji, Sanskrit, Bulgarian, Ancient Greek and Latin.