Women should be able to form boundaries against males

Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 6:49 pm

This talk about letting trans women use women's toilets, even if they have not taken any steps medically toward transition, seems like it would violate the boundaries of many women, making this a women's issue. It is very common for women to have been harassed, assaulted, and even raped over the course of their lives and they should be able to set the boundaries of their own fear, due to the very reality of this.

The fact is, Trans women remain males. Trans women should recognize this and show deference to women on the use of personal spaces. Women should be able to set their own boundaries based on the very real fears they have in daily life of males transgressing their boundaries.

Here is an article on the subject: "What if the left wrote about radical feminists in the same way it writes about trans women?"

Quote:
If you thought females were human beings, you might just go for the former. You might even feel ashamed at the sh***y behaviour of those claiming to be inclusive while ridiculing and vilifying victims. But most people don’t think like that. Most people would find it far too arduous and messy to make space for another 52% in what we think of as “the human race”. s**t, that would mean actually being an empathetic human being rather than pretending to be one! You can’t have female people being victims unless they’re silent ones! That messes up the whole system! There’s no way we can accommodate so much humanity in one world. It’s so much easier – and so much more satisfying – to yell “bigot” at a rape victim.

https://feministsunknown.wordpress.com/ ... ans-women/

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 6:59 pm

Given woman's bathrooms have stalls and there is no significant evidence that trans women are any more likely to commit rape than anyone else...I personally do not see why it should matter. I'd be more concerned of a male rapist scoping out say a public female bathroom in a sketchy rather out of the main public area and going in and raping someone...than a trans female who has not gone through a sex change using say the wal-mart bathroom. Or maybe they ought to just make unisex bathrooms mandatory if a business wants to have a biological female only bathroom.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 12:35 am

Why don't we force cis-women to use the men's bathroom?

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 5:29 am

Of course trans women should be allowed to use the womens bathroom. Trust me, they're far far FAR more likely to be victimised in the mens room than they are to be perpetrators in the ladies. Then again I think that trans women at least have female brains and female psychology and therefore wouldn't have a propensity to sexual violence any more than a woman by birth would. A trans woman would be as violent or nonviolent as any other female.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 2:54 pm

There's actually nothing stopping cis men from using the ladies room anyway, so there's no real difference. They can just walk in and pee in the toilet if they want to.

It also works vice versa. I know this because I've used the men's room by accident and only realised when I walked out and noticed the ladies sign on another door. Ooops

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 8:08 pm

So what you are saying is that you perfectly ok with trans women being harassed in the mens toilet? You do realize that trans women are disproportionately more likely to be harassed and attacked in public than a cis woman, right?

And as a cis woman, I have experienced cis men in the girls bathroom. Nobody really cares (maybe the dude will get a funny look, but that's about it). I had to use a mens toilet and guess what? Nobody cared.

I don't see how this is bigoted to rape victims.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2015, 7:51 am

I don't see a problem with transwomen using the lady's room. First off, how would somebody know she was trans and secondly, even if they suspected she was who would actually go up and ask her? As for being attacked, harassed and raped, I seriously doubt a transwoman has any interest in ogling, touching, talking dirty to, or raping women. I see no problem with denying the lady's room to someone who wants to be a woman and is living as a women on the off chance that just because she has a penis she might rape or ogle the women in there.

If people worry that because she still has a penis she might still suddenly become attracted to women in the lady's room, then why aren't folks upset about lesbians using the lady's room? Wait, could it be actual logic at work here and because the bathroom is the bathroom and people need to pee and lesbians are ladies too and they also need to pee, so it's only logical that they use the ladies room? Shouldn't we just extend that logic a tiny bit farther and say that since transwomen want to be lady and are living as ladies, and they have to pee too, shouldn't they use the lady's room as well? A sudden desire to grope a girl isn't going to just pop into her brain because she's in the lady's room. If changing who you sexually desired was that simple then all those "pray away the gay" places would go out of business and folks would just start using the wrong bathroom! ;-)

Really though, everybody is much more comfortable with trans people using the bathroom that they look like they should be in. You might have the occasional funny look or comment, but overall it's better for everybody to go pee where you look like you should be peeing.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2015, 2:53 pm

I've honestly never understood why (as a male), we even have gender specific washrooms. After all, we have individual private stalls anyway and both genders wash their hands the same way (hopefully). Maybe there is something I am not aware of but I've never had to fear a homosexual ogling me or acting inappropriate for example.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2015, 3:23 pm

Gianthokeyfan men who stand and pee can sometimes get urine on the floor. I don't want the bottom of my trousers soaking up urine whilst I sit on the toilet. That's why I like having a separate loo to the men folk.

I don't care whether the seat is up or down, just don't pee on the floor.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2015, 9:16 pm

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
I've honestly never understood why (as a male), we even have gender specific washrooms. After all, we have individual private stalls anyway and both genders wash their hands the same way (hopefully). Maybe there is something I am not aware of but I've never had to fear a homosexual ogling me or acting inappropriate for example.

Hehe, don't you know ladies' rooms have floral arrangements, perfumed hand lotions and nice comfy chairs? :D OK, only some of them have those. I have a feeling most women would be disgusted to use the men's room. One of my boys has a pretty face and beautiful hair. When he was little guys often assume "the little girl" walked into the wrong washroom. It shouldn't be a big issue either way.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2015, 9:52 pm

y-pod wrote:
I have a feeling most women would be disgusted to use the men's room.

That's why trans-women don't want to use the mens room. They are women and they are just as disgusted with the prospect of using the men's room. They fear harassment from men if they have to use the same bathroom as men. They have just as much to fear as ciswomen do.

Most cis-men wouldn't even bother transitioning for the sake of using the women's room and augling women. In order to transiton you have to face misogyny the way cis-women do. You have to put up with men who just want to get into your pants. On top of that they assume what's in your pants and they would probably kill you if they found out their assumption was wrong.

We pay a large price to transition. We face misogyny. We face invalidation. The amount that we sacrifice shows that we are not just men trying to get closer to women and rape them. The price is too high for a cisgender man to even bother.

On top of that we have more to fear in either restroom than cis-men or cis-women. If we use the mens' room we are in the wrong room and we're in a vulnerable position where men see us in an intimate place. I don't want men looking into the stall while I pee.

In the women's room we might be safe but if a cis-women peeks at our genitals suddenly we are the ones that are invading their privacy. Who's looking at us in the stall? Who's peeking? It's really the peekers that are invading our privacy.

We face prosecution just for going to the bathroom. Either we use the men's room and we are treated as women in the wrong room or we are prosecuted for using the right room when we choose to use the room that matches our gender.

There are also no urinals in the ladies room. We sit down to pee in a closed stall. Nobody should see our genitals unless they're gender policing. Most trans-women prefer to sit to pee because it makes us feel less masculine. Even if we don't prefer it we have no choice in the ladies room. There are no urinals just toilet seats. We pee in the stalls the same way that cis-women pee in the stalls. We sit and the seat is always left down.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2015, 9:59 pm

This post shows the importance of having women's spaces, and how they were a rarity in the past in the West and still are a rarity outside the West:

https://gendertrender.wordpress.com/201 ... ment-48071

Apparently, there was a lot of male opposition in early 20th century America to having separate women's bathrooms; any women's bathroom that was set up would be torn down by males so that it would spend more time in repair than being used by women.

The belief among some women is that the transgender movement is trying to bring us back to that time.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2015, 10:06 pm

seaturtleisland wrote:
y-pod wrote:
I have a feeling most women would be disgusted to use the men's room.

That's why trans-women don't want to use the mens room. They are women and they are just as disgusted with the prospect of using the men's room. They fear harassment from men if they have to use the same bathroom as men. They have just as much to fear as ciswomen do.

Most cis-men wouldn't even bother transitioning for the sake of using the women's room and augling women. In order to transiton you have to face misogyny the way cis-women do. You have to put up with men who just want to get into your pants. On top of that they assume what's in your pants and they would probably kill you if they found out their assumption was wrong.

We pay a large price to transition. We face misogyny. We face invalidation. The amount that we sacrifice shows that we are not just men trying to get closer to women and rape them. The price is too high for a cisgender man to even bother.

On top of that we have more to fear in either restroom than cis-men or cis-women. If we use the mens' room we are in the wrong room and we're in a vulnerable position where men see us in an intimate place. I don't want men looking into the stall while I pee.

In the women's room we might be safe but if a cis-women peeks at our genitals suddenly we are the ones that are invading their privacy. Who's looking at us in the stall? Who's peeking? It's really the peekers that are invading our privacy.

We face prosecution just for going to the bathroom. Either we use the men's room and we are treated as women in the wrong room or we are prosecuted for using the right room when we choose to use the room that matches our gender.

There are also no urinals in the ladies room. We sit down to pee in a closed stall. Nobody should see our genitals unless they're gender policing. Most trans-women prefer to sit to pee because it makes us feel less masculine. Even if we don't prefer it we have no choice in the ladies room. There are no urinals just toilet seats. We pee in the stalls the same way that cis-women pee in the stalls. We sit and the seat is always left down.

It can be confusing which bathroom to use. One time, when I was at the library, I tried to use the men's room, but a female cleaning attendant was cleaning it and she told me the women's was on the other side, so I used the women's. No one has ever given me a hard time about using the women's when I have used it, but I prefer to avoid the issue altogether.

When with my family, especially my sister (who considers me an embarrassing "man-woman"), I generally use the men's.

When I worked, at work I was expected to use only the unisex bathroom. Of course, I'm on disability now, so I spend the vast majority of my time at home.

Orangez
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jan 2015, 11:30 pm

It is in female nature to have their own in group preference. This can be seen in many ways as females want to invade traditional male spaces all the time, but, when it comes down to it they do not want their own spaces to be invade. Females usually are over protective and think they are endangered even when it is statistically proven they are more unlikely to be a victim. This is all due to evolutionary baggage, however, they still show up today as females will be afraid that they are endanger as their lizard brain is telling them so. Hence, why they are afraid of trans-women as they still believe them to be male.

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2015, 5:28 am

Orangez wrote:
It is in female nature to have their own in group preference. This can be seen in many ways as females want to invade traditional male spaces all the time, but, when it comes down to it they do not want their own spaces to be invade. Females usually are over protective and think they are endangered even when it is statistically proven they are more unlikely to be a victim. This is all due to evolutionary baggage, however, they still show up today as females will be afraid that they are endanger as their lizard brain is telling them so. Hence, why they are afraid of trans-women as they still believe them to be male.

You've been reported several times for your misogynist posts....please post within the forum rules.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2015, 9:43 am

hurtloam wrote:
Gianthokeyfan men who stand and pee can sometimes get urine on the floor. I don't want the bottom of my trousers soaking up urine whilst I sit on the toilet. That's why I like having a separate loo to the men folk.

I don't care whether the seat is up or down, just don't pee on the floor.

What can I say I have terrible aim? Being tall and Aspie makes it hard :lol: Except for the local car dealership for some reason, every single public men's room has urinals that eliminate that issue. You can easily add in extra stalls/walls for privacy as I see it.

beneficii wrote:
Apparently, there was a lot of male opposition in early 20th century America to having separate women's bathrooms; any women's bathroom that was set up would be torn down by males so that it would spend more time in repair than being used by women.

Interesting to learn that as I would have never suspected that at all. All I know is that if I want to get married, the only other person who shares my bathroom is going to be female. Other than the million different lotion bottles, I fail to see the necessity of separate rooms or what the big deal is. Then again, I'm also the guy who could sit with 20 naked women and not get aroused so take my opinion with a grain of salt.