Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2015, 4:17 pm

Howdy! Having a small problem I think. I always seem to have a problem finding decent shoes that fit. I like shoes with chunky heels and tie up oxfords. I found some burgundy shoes that are oxfords and tie ups and have a chunky heel that is a height of 2.75 inches. All the reviews are giving them 5/5 stars unless they don't fit around the toe area. My problem is they fit with my feet but feel a little too high. Am I weird? Is my problem that I need to learn how to walk in higher heels? My question is to the women on this site and what your experiences are with high heeled shoes. Please help. Guys would probably think that if the shoes aren't comfortable then don't keep them, but I don't believe that any high heeled shoe can really be comfortable and women still manage to wear them. So what's my problem?

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2015, 5:02 pm

I now cannot tolerate the discomfort of a heel higher than maybe 1.5 inches, 2" at a push, but I did used to wear higher heels back in my teens and 20s.

I think I had some heels that were maybe 4", and various sizes down from there. It was not comfortable! But I put up with the pain because I was young, I wanted to look stylish, pretty, sexy, fashionable, and so if something had a high heel well that was just the price I paid to have cute shoes.

As the years went by I just wanted to be more comfortable; I work on my feet in a practical job so I was always in tennis shoes/sport shoes/sneakers (trainers in the UK) for work anyway. And I gradually started to want to wear similarly comfortable shoes at the weekend too, particularly when I was in a new city where I walked a lot more.

That relocation sealed the deal and I started wearing lower heels and shoes built for comfort full-time. I'm currently in love with Skechers! I don't think I ever want to wear a high heel again -- unless a few conditions are met: I have to be either driving or driven to a dressy event, and at this event I know I will be able to sit to my heart's content rather than be doing a lot of standing or walking. At the moment my whole life is about either walking, cycling or taking public transportation where I'm often standing anyway, so I just can't stand the pain of a lot of walking around in high heels, and I wear soft Skecher-type shoes all the time now.

But then again -- I also have no nice places to go where I'd be wearing pretty things anyway, so the soft sport shoes aren't really out of place in my life, stylistically.

Eloquaint
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jun 2015, 5:44 pm

Nurseangela, have you tried wedge heels? They usually have thicker soles to go with the elevated heel, so they're more comfortable. I have a pair of Clark's wedge sandals that I love (http://www.clarksusa.com/us/womens/wome ... p/26108737) because they're extravagantly padded, and the heel seems high but feels reasonable.

If you need to wear real high heels, you can get an insole from Superfeet (http://www.superfeet.com/en-us/insoles- ... -high-heel) designed to improve your balance and posture. They're not padded, but they work pretty well and I sometimes put padded insoles over them.

I worked a job that required high heels for years, and I have bad knees, so it could be quite problematic some days. I can walk in a 4" heel, but it's cumbersome because my feet are small, so that's a stretch. Put padding under the balls of your feet if you decide you feel the need for an evening in stilettos.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2015, 6:30 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
I now cannot tolerate the discomfort of a heel higher than maybe 1.5 inches, 2" at a push, but I did used to wear higher heels back in my teens and 20s.

I think I had some heels that were maybe 4", and various sizes down from there. It was not comfortable! But I put up with the pain because I was young, I wanted to look stylish, pretty, sexy, fashionable, and so if something had a high heel well that was just the price I paid to have cute shoes.

As the years went by I just wanted to be more comfortable; I work on my feet in a practical job so I was always in tennis shoes/sport shoes/sneakers (trainers in the UK) for work anyway. And I gradually started to want to wear similarly comfortable shoes at the weekend too, particularly when I was in a new city where I walked a lot more.

That relocation sealed the deal and I started wearing lower heels and shoes built for comfort full-time. I'm currently in love with Skechers! I don't think I ever want to wear a high heel again -- unless a few conditions are met: I have to be either driving or driven to a dressy event, and at this event I know I will be able to sit to my heart's content rather than be doing a lot of standing or walking. At the moment my whole life is about either walking, cycling or taking public transportation where I'm often standing anyway, so I just can't stand the pain of a lot of walking around in high heels, and I wear soft Skecher-type shoes all the time now.

But then again -- I also have no nice places to go where I'd be wearing pretty things anyway, so the soft sport shoes aren't really out of place in my life, stylistically.

Strange as it may seem, I actually dress "dressy" all the time. I don't even own a pair of jeans. I guess you could say that I'm a "girly girl" that wears lace and pearls and stuff. That's probably why its hard for me going from my job where I wear comfortable shoes to what I wear out in the real world - more classy and dressy. It doesn't look too classy though if I fall on my a** in those shoes, now does it? :D

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Last edited by nurseangela on 30 Jun 2015, 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2015, 6:34 pm

Eloquaint wrote:
Nurseangela, have you tried wedge heels? They usually have thicker soles to go with the elevated heel, so they're more comfortable. I have a pair of Clark's wedge sandals that I love (http://www.clarksusa.com/us/womens/wome ... p/26108737) because they're extravagantly padded, and the heel seems high but feels reasonable.

If you need to wear real high heels, you can get an insole from Superfeet (http://www.superfeet.com/en-us/insoles- ... -high-heel) designed to improve your balance and posture. They're not padded, but they work pretty well and I sometimes put padded insoles over them.

I worked a job that required high heels for years, and I have bad knees, so it could be quite problematic some days. I can walk in a 4" heel, but it's cumbersome because my feet are small, so that's a stretch. Put padding under the balls of your feet if you decide you feel the need for an evening in stilettos.

You actually have an excellent idea, Eloquaint. I had some wedge Clarks that I would have loved, but they weren't wide enough. Now I have a Clarks shoe that fits my foot, but feels too high. I really like their look (burgundy wingtips), but my foot goes totally numb. That can't be good. I'll look into wedges again and see if something fits my fancy. Thanks!

Darn, I flunked.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2015, 1:04 am

nurseangela wrote:
Guys would probably think that if the shoes aren't comfortable then don't keep them, but I don't believe that any high heeled shoe can really be comfortable and women still manage to wear them. So what's my problem?

Guys are usually unconcerned about showing off as much foot skin as possible, or using footwear that makes our gait deliberately awkward in the hope that it'll be sexy, let alone sacrificing the health of our legs and feet to pursue such goals, so, yeah, I for one wonder what's so bad about the option of not wearing high heels.

Just because most women manage to wear them doesn't mean it's not hurting them.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2015, 9:28 pm

I dress very girly, and I mostly wear skirts, but I never wear dress shoes at all anymore, not even flats. In summer I wear sandals or slip-on sneakers in colors that match my outfits. In winter I wear riding boots or moto boots.

I can't walk in heels, and I have too many back problems to wear them even if I could. My ankles twist too easily. I only wear flat shoes, or shoes with a very low, wide heel. I also can't wear things like skimmers or loafers, because they hurt my toes. Even a flat dress shoe feels to me like a torture device.

Women who wear heels or other fashion shoes often end up with serious foot problems, like bunions or hammertoes. It's not worth it.

Crazypandalady
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jul 2015, 10:16 pm

I hate high heels and stileto's I am uncoordinated and scared to break my ankle.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2015, 12:37 am

I'm returning my high heels. Maybe if I got them for an important engagement it would have been worth the effort to try to learn to walk in them, but they aren't for that kind of reason so back to Amazon.

Darn, I flunked.

Last edited by nurseangela on 08 Jul 2015, 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2015, 12:44 am

How odd. I went to Amazon to print the return UPS label and it said that a return would be credited and I don't have to return the shoes. Why is that?

Darn, I flunked.

Eloquaint
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jul 2015, 11:17 pm

I think it means it would cost them more to ship and restock the item than they could make selling it again. The same thing has happened to me-though not with shoes.

invaderhorizongreen
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 9:43 pm

I am rather short so heels are quite out of the question for me, unless they are kitten heels. I however prefer flats that look good, and they save my feet to.

elkclan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2015, 3:06 am

Most high heels aren't well engineered. I have had good luck with two brands: Dansko and Ecco - both Scandinavian.

Oddly enough, because of really tight ligaments, I can't wear flat shoes, I'm in agony if I wear flats. But I only need a really small heel (like you would find on a running shoe/ cross-trainer) to be ok.