Do you WANT to be (physically) attractive?

Page 3 of 8 [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

?
Yes 72%  72%  [ 79 ]
No 28%  28%  [ 31 ]
Total votes : 110

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2010, 10:11 pm

mechanicalgirl39 wrote:
By my own standards, yes. By society's standards, no. I have zero desire to be alarmingly thin and have oversized breasts.

I agree. Of course I'd like to be seen as attractive by other people, but I'm more interested in my own standards.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 9:57 am

astaut wrote:
mechanicalgirl39 wrote:
By my own standards, yes. By society's standards, no. I have zero desire to be alarmingly thin and have oversized breasts.

I agree. Of course I'd like to be seen as attractive by other people, but I'm more interested in my own standards.

Yay! *high five*

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 10:02 am

I don't want to be ugly, but I don't want to attractive either, since I don't want men to bother me. It's better to be plain.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 11:12 pm

ScratchMonkey wrote:
Like it or not, guys are wired to look at physical characteristics first. But note that we all have different tastes. I'm in the group that likes skinny and small breasts, for example. You may not look like Barbie, but you may still be some guy's perfect woman in the looks department.
yes, i agree with that. there are tons of chubby chasers out there, or guys who like androgyny, or whatever...

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 8:33 am

i think an interesting subquestion is whether people already think they are really attractive. women seem quite polarized on that, and very few seem to see themselves as somewhere in middle looks-wise - where the majority of the world falls. it seems like we tend to see ourselves as either highly attractive or highly unattractive, not just pleasant or ok or average. is that an aspie thing, or just universal with women? am i off-base with this?

it also seems like we tend to think we were best-looking when we were young, and that we lose our looks as we age. is that my imagination, or is there a pattern there?

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 1:26 pm

I would say I am ok looking. I'm not exactly Carrie Anne Moss, but I'm not ugly either.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 2:10 pm

mechanicalgirl39 wrote:
I would say I am ok looking. I'm not exactly Carrie Anne Moss, but I'm not ugly either.
i totally look like her!! !! ok i don't.

menintights
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 2:32 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
i think an interesting subquestion is whether people already think they are really attractive. women seem quite polarized on that, and very few seem to see themselves as somewhere in middle looks-wise - where the majority of the world falls. it seems like we tend to see ourselves as either highly attractive or highly unattractive, not just pleasant or ok or average. is that an aspie thing, or just universal with women? am i off-base with this? it also seems like we tend to think we were best-looking when we were young, and that we lose our looks as we age. is that my imagination, or is there a pattern there?

Going back to the whole women-are-objects-to-be-looked-at thing, I think a lot of women think they're either (highly) attractive or (highly) ugly because of the way a lot of people (i.e., men) classify women in general.

I also found a picture yesterday that I thought was interesting:

The joke here is supposed to be straightforward: the Hooters girls are hot, the feminist is not--and so no wonder she's a feminist. What struck me as odd was how the faces of the two Hooters girls and the feminist rate about the same on the attractiveness scale (I'd say 7/10--which is above average but which still isn't good enough for many people), and how the thinner-than-average feminist probably could've been considered "hotter" than the Hooters girls if she'd slapped on some makeup and wore the right clothes and the right hairstyle. So apparently, what makes a woman attractive in the eye of most people has less to do with how she naturally looks like than with how much effort she's put into looking like how everyone wants her to. :?

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 2:56 pm

I think the feminist demonstrator is prettier. She looks like a real human, not a trashy sexed up ornament.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 2:58 pm

menintights wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
i think an interesting subquestion is whether people already think they are really attractive. women seem quite polarized on that, and very few seem to see themselves as somewhere in middle looks-wise - where the majority of the world falls. it seems like we tend to see ourselves as either highly attractive or highly unattractive, not just pleasant or ok or average. is that an aspie thing, or just universal with women? am i off-base with this? it also seems like we tend to think we were best-looking when we were young, and that we lose our looks as we age. is that my imagination, or is there a pattern there?

Going back to the whole women-are-objects-to-be-looked-at thing, I think a lot of women think they're either (highly) attractive or (highly) ugly because of the way a lot of people (i.e., men) classify women in general.

I also found a picture yesterday that I thought was interesting:

The joke here is supposed to be straightforward: the Hooters girls are hot, the feminist is not--and so no wonder she's a feminist. What struck me as odd was how the faces of the two Hooters girls and the feminist rate about the same on the attractiveness scale (I'd say 7/10--which is above average but which still isn't good enough for many people), and how the thinner-than-average feminist probably could've been considered "hotter" than the Hooters girls if she'd slapped on some makeup and wore the right clothes and the right hairstyle. So apparently, what makes a woman attractive in the eye of most people has less to do with how she naturally looks like than with how much effort she's put into looking like how everyone wants her to. :?
very, very, very good point. with some hair bleach, tanning lotion, heavy makeup and skimpy clothes, apparently most of us could be HAWT!

my husband had always noticed this phenomenon - the women whose good looks are tied to their hair/makeup/clothing. he is not interested in women who look like that - he would prefer the one with the sign. as he puts it, when he looks at women like Hooters type, he finds that his eyes "slide right off"... there is nothing different or interesting to hold his glance. i wonder how many guys are like that?

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 3:04 pm

'very, very, very good point. with some hair bleach, tanning lotion, heavy makeup and skimpy clothes, apparently most of us could be HAWT! '

Yuck...NOT hot.

Trashy, oversexual, stylized, but not beautiful.

I would cut my face with razorblades before becoming one of THOSE women.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 3:51 pm

mechanicalgirl39 wrote:
'very, very, very good point. with some hair bleach, tanning lotion, heavy makeup and skimpy clothes, apparently most of us could be HAWT! '

Yuck...NOT hot.

yeah i was being sarcastic. i mean, technically i COULD dress like that, but i would not do so!

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 4:03 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
mechanicalgirl39 wrote:

Yuck...NOT hot.

yeah i was being sarcastic. i mean, technically i COULD dress like that, but i would not do so!

Ohh sorry! Not good at recognizing sarcasm...

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 4:21 pm

mechanicalgirl39 wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
mechanicalgirl39 wrote:

Yuck...NOT hot.

well, i am not good at communicating clearly, so we make quite a pair!

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 4:26 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
mechanicalgirl39 wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
mechanicalgirl39 wrote:

Yuck...NOT hot.

I smell a sitcom! :D

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 5:28 pm

Erisad wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
mechanicalgirl39 wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
mechanicalgirl39 wrote:

Yuck...NOT hot.

I smell a sitcom! :D
hahaha! that made me laugh because i am control-freaky so i was already "writing the theme tune, singing the theme tune..."