Feminist 66%  66%  [ 99 ]
Not A Feminist 17%  17%  [ 26 ]
Indifferent 16%  16%  [ 24 ]
Total votes : 149

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 9:10 pm

I would consider myself either not a feminist or indifferent.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2010, 2:16 am

hyperlexian wrote:
zee wrote:
Yes, very feminist. I work with mostly men; many different jobs. When a man with less experience/skill than me gets promoted over me, or gets paid more, it upsets me. :evil:
yes, the majority of people in my particular job are women, but the majority who are elevated to higher-level positions are men.

An interesting demonstration of this: my housemate works as an assistant preschool teacher during the school year, and works washing cars during the summer. Both jobs are entry-level and somewhat unskilled, but she makes $2 an hour MORE washing cars than teaching preschool.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2010, 3:32 am

pandorazmtbox wrote:
I call myself a feminazi, because I get angry about the stupidity of gender roles. I get especially angry at women who work really hard to repress other women and try to belittle them for not conforming to "appropriate" gender roles. Don't get me wrong. I am not a butch lesbian (although I have good friends who are...more power to them!). I enjoy lipstick and good hair and MEN. However, I do NOT enjoy being told by my mother that a chemistry set or microscope or a racetrack isn't a good toy for me (as I am a girl and should enjoy dolls). I resent it when my female students call me Mrs. instead of Dr. and distinctly feel that if I were a man they would default to Dr. if they weren't sure. My annoyance knows no bounds when men in the workplace make jokes like "reasonable person test? of course it HAS to be a reasonable man test, we all know there's no such thing as a reasonable woman."

Maybe I need to lighten up. But then, maybe, just maybe I needed a remote controlled TANK when I was a wee lass.

I'm a huge fan of Tank Girl myself. :wtg:

necroluciferia
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Sep 2010, 5:22 am

I consider myself a feminist.

I get really annoyed by women who constantly put men down. Where my partner works women can wear whatever casual clothing they want but the men all have to wear shirt and tie. Also they come out with things like "men are all useless because they can't multitask." I get equally annoyed by women who play up to the equal rights thing when it suits them, but then they still expect men to carry their bags for them and open doors for them, etc.

I am female but in many ways I just don't identify with other women. My interests have always been very masculine (from football and lego when I was a kid to listening to metal and doing weights in the gym) - and I have no desire to ever become a mother. I hate stereotypical gender roles - I have only in the past couple of years started to feel comfortable with wearing a bit of make up and reasonably feminine clothes, before I did everything I could to look and act like a man. I think a lot of that comes down to hating any form of male attention - I have no problem with other girls dressing "sexy" if they want to and every woman should have that choice but then they can't complain when men look at them as an object. I personally hate that, and I guess I just want to be on an equal level with men. I get really angry if anyone makes any reference to my gender and assumes things about me because I'm female. Nobody should be defined purely by their gender.

petitesouris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Sep 2010, 4:45 pm

Erisad wrote:
feminazi. = anti-male mentality.

i think that term is just an easy way for chauvinists or ultraconservatives to silence people by calling them fascists. the cruel irony. it's like the pot that calls the kettle black.

anyways, i object to the arguement that relationships can only work if the woman sacrifices her power. the fallacy of this idea is the lack of clarification between power and freedom. it is abusive to dominate others, but someone who excercizes their fundamental freedoms, such as the right to speak, is not a nazi. the term "feminazi" is nothing but a histrionic exagerration.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2010, 6:28 pm

There is one aspect of modern feminism that I don't like, and that's when feminists turn their nose up at women that are stay at home mums or aren't working 12 hours a day. I find there is a lot of snobbery within the modern feminists and women that are spending more time parenting than working feel embarrassed about their occupation. And there are more women hiring nannys while they go off to work until late at night, and the nannys basically become the child/children's mum and not the actual mum herself.

I find the more recent the feminism (i.e. after it actually meant anything anymore) the more it looks like this:

petitesouris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Sep 2010, 10:45 pm

pandorazmtbox wrote:
I call myself a feminazi, because I get angry about the stupidity of gender roles. I get especially angry at women who work really hard to repress other women and try to belittle them for not conforming to "appropriate" gender roles.

is it true that a lot of weathy women have this view? women have been complicit in the demise of other women, most likely because it was their only way of channelling agression. yet, we live in a modern society with opportunities for mobility and instant communication, so we no longer have to associate with those who miss the old regime, so lets just ignore them because they will never change and no one could ethically force them to change.

in modern places, there is no outside use of force from the government or religion to enforce gender roles, so i am not worried about being forced into a box. however, if we were to count every suble act of chauvinism that occurs, we would be miserable. therefore it is better to accept things the way they are now in the western world and focus more on trying to find niches for ourselves instead of worrying about the opinions of others.

Last edited by petitesouris on 08 Sep 2010, 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

petitesouris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Sep 2010, 11:00 pm

MONKEY wrote:
I find the more recent the feminism (i.e. after it actually meant anything anymore) the more it looks like this

no human relationship is constantly equal and i have no faith in people, so it is not surprising that some feminists use their influence to demonize anyone they dislike.

unlike many people, i at least try to enjoy my freedom without using it as a pretext to act immature.

pandorazmtbox
Toucan
Toucan

08 Sep 2010, 11:18 pm

petitesouris wrote:
Erisad wrote:

i think that term is just an easy way for chauvinists or ultraconservatives to silence people by calling them fascists. the cruel irony. it's like the pot that calls the kettle black.

anyways, i object to the arguement that relationships can only work if the woman sacrifices her power. the fallacy of this idea is the lack of clarification between power and freedom. it is abusive to dominate others, but someone who excercizes their fundamental freedoms, such as the right to speak, is not a nazi. the term "feminazi" is nothing but a histrionic exagerration.

Erisad, I have to agree with petitesouris. People who coined the term intended it to discredit and therefore effectively silence those who identified themselves as feminists. Which is why I chose to take back the term and proudly own it.

Truly, double standards and confining gender roles make me angry and outspoken. If that frightens some into thinking I am reactionary or fringe, then so be it--I will frighten them more by not backing down when I get hit with that label, but embracing it like a badge of honor.

petitesouris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Sep 2010, 9:40 am

pandorazmtbox wrote:
petitesouris wrote:
Erisad wrote:

Erisad, I have to agree with petitesouris. People who coined the term intended it to discredit and therefore effectively silence those who identified themselves as feminists. Which is why I chose to take back the term and proudly own it.

Truly, double standards and confining gender roles make me angry and outspoken. If that frightens some into thinking I am reactionary or fringe, then so be it--I will frighten them more by not backing down when I get hit with that label, but embracing it like a badge of honor.

erisad was not necessarily denigrating feminists, even though i still disagree with the term "feminazi". it is probably used by the same people who seem to think that individualism in women is unfeminine and similar to lesbianism.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 9:56 am

I also extremely hate 'difference feminists'...The ones who push the idea of women as baby makers and nurturers, elevate these things as sacred, and see men as lesser because they don't give birth. VOMIT. They manage to be grossly unfair to both men and women. Men, because they treat them as lesser because they don't get pregnant and poop the baby out, and women because they reduce women to just wombs. They do it in a nice way, but damn. I'm a sentient girl with a mind and skills and opinions, not just a brood mare whose main job is to give birth and nurture.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 2:46 pm

^
agree.
I have had far more women tell me that I'm somehow less than a "real" woman b/c I have chosen not to have children than men. Woman =/= mother; if it did, we wouldn't need two different words.

Rose_in_Winter
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 5:30 pm

LKL wrote:
^
agree.
I have had far more women tell me that I'm somehow less than a "real" woman b/c I have chosen not to have children than men. Woman =/= mother; if it did, we wouldn't need two different words.

Been there..."When are you going to start a family?" Um, why don't my husband, our dog, and I constitute a family? "Maybe you'll change your mind when you're older." I'm 34. I don't think I'll be changing my mind about this one. My husband, OTOH, never gets these questions, only, "Your wife doesn't want kids?" as though all women have some sort of identical biological programming. Pure sexism -- assuming that as a woman, I want children, while it's normal for a man to not want children. I think that in couple who choose to breed, both of them want kids, right? Certainly the case with the people I know having babies.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 5:43 pm

LKL wrote:
^
agree.

People give me crap about not wanting kids all the time. In fact i am considering getting my tubes tied.
I'd rather enjoy myself and spend money on myself than have kids.

Celoneth
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 7:29 pm

LKL wrote:
^
agree.

Yes! Men are complete people who may choose to marry/have a family - but women are somehow "incomplete" if they don't have a man and baybeez. I never wanted kids. I wouldn't be a more complete person if I had a kid - I'd just be more stressed. Then there's people who say you're selfish for not wanting a kid which I don't get at all. How is not adding an additional person to an already overpopulated planet selfish?

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 6:19 am

It sucks indeed. I hate the assumption that all women want kids and if you don't there must be something wrong with you.

Seriously the way people react when I say I don't want kids...They either express sadness and act as if there is something wrong with me, or get angry and imply that I'm being selfish.