Not A Feminist 17%  17%  [ 26 ]
Indifferent 16%  16%  [ 24 ]
Total votes : 149

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 4:54 pm

Lene wrote:
Absolutely. I think you should have equal status and respect regardless of gender or race. I don't support 'female supremecy' but I definitely do not agree with people who complain that it's "gone too far the other way now". We may be equal in some ways, but we still haven't achieved full equality as far as respect and equal pay goes.

To be honest, I think some women make it harder for others to get treated fairly. Take women who get a new job and then immediately go on paid maternity leave, leaving their employer to have to find someone else to do her job. Yes, it's their right to procreate, but that sends out a message to employers that women are flakey and there's no point in hiring a woman of childbearing age. They won't say as much openly, but I've definitely heard comments like this 'off the books'. You could argue that they are being prejudiced etc, but realistically, they're running a buisiness. It doesn't make sense to pay an employee for doing nothing, and like it or not, it's going to have a knock-on effect as to who they employ in future.

I think there should be a system that if you have worked a certain number of years, you are entitled to paid maternity leave. If you have worked less, then you should get leave but no pay, and then if you've only just started, you shouldn't be paid or expect your job back.

Sorry if that sounds harsh; I'm not trying to have a go at working mothers, and I do realise that women have different biological clocks than men, and that we're often the ones left 'holding the baby', but I think the way to solve that is that men should be entitled to more paternity leave and expected to do their share of raising the kid as well; if your career has to suffer because you have kids, then both partners should be prepared to accept that (unless they personally want to have a different arrangement).

Er, anyway, that was a bit off topic. Regards to the original question, I'm an old-fashioned feminist. Not the 'empowerment through pole-dancing' kind

through canada's employment insurance program, the mother can have 15 weeks paid maternity benefits (for recovery of health), but there are additionally 35 weeks of parental benefits that can be shared or used by either parent (of any gender), for a birth or adoption. society is changing, but it is slow.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 5:35 pm

I'm definitely a feminist. The movement was all about giving women the right to choose where they wanted their life to go and what role they wanted within their families.

Some find my assertion of feminism to be quite odd, since I'm a submissive. However, I'm a submissive by choice. I love taking care of my family... and yes... making my husband a sammich when he's hungry.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 5:45 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
I'm definitely a feminist. The movement was all about giving women the right to choose where they wanted their life to go and what role they wanted within their families.

Some find my assertion of feminism to be quite odd, since I'm a submissive. However, I'm a submissive by choice. I love taking care of my family... and yes... making my husband a sammich when he's hungry.

i like when my husband makes *me* a sandwich. i miss the days of being the primary breadwinner!! !

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJSUisk7Hhg[/youtube]

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 5:57 pm

I like when my husband cooks, that's for sure. lol

Celoneth
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 6:26 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:

I love to cook, so if I wasn't celibate, I'd be happy to make my wo/man a sammich :D
I view feminism as giving women the right to make that choice versus it being the only choice.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 6:56 pm

Celoneth wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:

I love to cook, so if I wasn't celibate, I'd be happy to make my wo/man a sammich :D
I view feminism as giving women the right to make that choice versus it being the only choice.

i love to cook too. but i am not a good caregiver in that way.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 7:00 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
Celoneth wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:

i love to cook too. but i am not a good caregiver in that way.

I admit, I love cooking but cooking for a family 4-5 times a day gets tiring and irritating. It's hard to keep myself from just making the easy stuff that's not so healthy. I really enjoyed cooking when I worked at a bowling alley much better.

Celoneth
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 7:16 pm

I like cooking every now and then when the mood hits me and I usually like to make something creative/interesting and complicated.
Can't stand it day-to-day - usually live off of microwave food so I'm glad I don't have anyone that relies on me.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 7:22 pm

Celoneth wrote:
I like cooking every now and then when the mood hits me and I usually like to make something creative/interesting and complicated.
Can't stand it day-to-day - usually live off of microwave food so I'm glad I don't have anyone that relies on me.

That's how my husband is. I like when he gets creative. It usually involves a huge hunk of meat... :lol:

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 9:17 pm

I never could get into cooking even though I like reading and watching shows about it.

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 10:28 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 10:32 pm

*blows raspberry*

petitesouris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Aug 2010, 12:11 pm

Ichinin wrote:
True equality will only happen when men and women stop putting 18th century demands on each other and stops categorising stuff into "man-stuff" "woman-stuff".

i'm so greatful to live in the 21st century. 100 years ago the definition of masculinity was the same as it is today, while the definition of femininity was restricted. it was considered inappropriate behavior to leave the house by oneself, to do any kind of physical activity, or to not have that unnatural "finishing school" posture. now, we are able to define femininity in our own way and we are also allowed to simultaneously pursue "masculine" and "feminine" roles.

LiberalJustice
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2010, 1:44 pm

Alycat wrote:
I see a lot of feminists either want to have women as being more important and men as less important (which is just as bad as having men more important and women less important). I also see feminists who want to pretend men and women are EXACTLY the same.

I think men and women are different. I like that they are different. Different but equal.

This.

Adopted mother to a cat named Charlotte, and grandmother to 3 kittens.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2010, 2:00 pm

And for those women who do not naturally fit your definition of women's 'differece,' and men who do not fit your definition of men's 'difference,' what? Are they also 'equal'?

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2010, 2:32 pm

Discussion of feminism makes me uncomfortable. I can not relate very much or feel passionately about such things; I don't think I have much of a gender identity. I'm indifferent.