Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

peacerunner
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jun 2011, 6:47 am

"people" often comment on my diet. I just eat what I like and often eat the same things basically for years. One year I consumed so many pickles the school custodian named me "Pickler" and still calls me that. I think I have just learned what digests with me best. I know gluten and dairy don't work. I have noticed that if I eat mostly plants and soy protein powder my energy level isreally good. People think I am a vegan because of animal rights but it happened accidentally just because I eat what my body says feels right. Anybody have a diet that others notice as different?

MyriaJean
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Jun 2011, 7:04 am

I'm vegetarian (actually "vegan except for honey," but you say vegetarian and people think you have dairy and eggs). At first it was for ethical reasons, but I know I would have succumbed to cheese if I didn't feel so much better without dairy. I was actually healthy for the first time in my life - I had energy, I could think and concentrate better, and I didn't have severe bouts of bronchitis or pneumonia every year. Also I lost 25 pounds without trying, and now I stay there no matter how much I eat or how little I exercise.
We're cutting out gluten in a couple weeks because my daughter was diagnosed with celiac disease (have to wait until after her last test), and I'm curious to see if it makes a difference to my health as well.
I loved soy protein powder as a kid, but now I prefer tofu. I also eat ridiculous amounts of nutritional yeast. I don't know if that's a need, or if I've transferred my cheese obsession to it, or if it's a sensory thing. I eat more for texture and nutritional content than for taste.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 8:57 am

I go through phases. Bread and sweet stuff made me sick for about 4 years so I ate barely any. Now I'm back to loving it. There must be an underlying reason but I'm too lazy to research it at the moment.

Megz
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 11:02 pm

If I remember correctly, I have almost every symptom of Celiac disease, but I'm pretty sure I couldn't go gluten free. I'm a pretty picky eater. It's not that I want to be, I wish I liked more foods, but it's not worth making myself nauseous trying to force myself to like something. I think I might be able to do dairy free. Does it have to be an all-or-nothing thing or does it help to cut it out mostly, but have the occasional scoop of ice cream, say once a month for example? If that's the case I might try cutting down on gluten foods, but the problem is those are usually the cheap kinds of foods and I'm a broke college student. I guess it's all about trying to find a balance between budget and health.

peacerunner
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jun 2011, 6:42 am

It is true that if you buy the gluten free breads and things they are INCREDIBLY expensive. I never buy that stuff. You can eat corn, lotsa rice, popcorn (a college foodgroup) rice krispies, ...... It might be fun for you to try gluten free because if it really is a need for your body you will be AMAZED at your increased mental focus and energy level. I almost thought I was ADHD after I quit gluten and dairy. I have so much energymost of the time I drive people nuts, and I am 55! But it took memany years to do this so dont' stress. :-)

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2011, 1:07 pm

No, I'm just constantly criticized over what I eat because I'm fat. Even by people I don't know. They don't know that the burrito I'm eating is the first time I've gone out to eat in months but they assume I eat fast food all the time because I'm not skinny. :roll:

Megz
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2011, 3:16 pm

peacerunner wrote:
It is true that if you buy the gluten free breads and things they are INCREDIBLY expensive. I never buy that stuff. You can eat corn, lotsa rice, popcorn (a college foodgroup) rice krispies, ...... It might be fun for you to try gluten free because if it really is a need for your body you will be AMAZED at your increased mental focus and energy level. I almost thought I was ADHD after I quit gluten and dairy. I have so much energymost of the time I drive people nuts, and I am 55! But it took memany years to do this so dont' stress. :-)

That made me lol, so true, so true :D
Thanks, I think I'll try it. During the school year it'll be a little easier because one of the cafeterias is dedicated to healthy food and people with special diets. I think I remember hearing that it won some awards for it or something. They have gluten free pasta and stuff. I have a friend who does gluten free and low dairy, so maybe we could start being lunch buddies or something.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2011, 3:20 pm

Women shouldn't worry so much about their weight. Just do whatever pleases you. Someone will find you attractive in the end - actually, that's a bit disingenuous: what the real matter is not that people find you attractive but do they do so for positive rather than negative and abusive reasons?

peacerunner
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jun 2011, 8:34 pm

I agree with the above post completely. When i refer to diet in this discussion i am speaking of an eating plan, not a weight reduction plan. I don't think anyone should become overly concerned with the size of his or her body, as that is where so many serious issues begin for women and men alike, but women especially. Just wanted to clarify. I also believe we need to respect each others choices because it's complicated to figure out what things to eat to feel good and strong. :D

Megz
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2011, 11:43 pm

I'm going for it! Tomorrow I'm starting a casein free diet. I gathered up all the forbidden foods (I didn't know I had that much food in my kitchen lol) to give to my mom. It's going to be a pain in the rear when I go to my parents' house for dinner, but it sounds like my mom is supportive of me trying to take better care of myself, so hopefully it won't be too big of a problem. I already looked up some goat's milk ice cream brands lol. I know goat's milk also has casein, but it's a different kind and I've never had any problems with goat products. I've also read that other people with casein intolerance do fine with goat products. If this goes well then eventually I'll try to go gluten free as well.

LadySera
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jun 2011, 5:09 am

I was vegan for the better part of last year but I kept succumbing to cheese, which is what I have problems digesting anyway (plus I missed bacon/sausage) so now I just eat whatever I feel like. I usually like eating different things for each meal but I can eat a sandwich or pizza (yeah, I know, not healthy, lol) 2 or 3 times a day.

pavel_filonov
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jun 2011, 3:53 pm

Megz wrote:
If I remember correctly, I have almost every symptom of Celiac disease, but I'm pretty sure I couldn't go gluten free. I'm a pretty picky eater. It's not that I want to be, I wish I liked more foods, but it's not worth making myself nauseous trying to force myself to like something. I think I might be able to do dairy free. Does it have to be an all-or-nothing thing or does it help to cut it out mostly, but have the occasional scoop of ice cream, say once a month for example? If that's the case I might try cutting down on gluten foods, but the problem is those are usually the cheap kinds of foods and I'm a broke college student. I guess it's all about trying to find a balance between budget and health.

Hi

I really wouldn't recommend cutting out gluten most of the time but having the occasional treat. I've been off gluten for about three years now, and when I accidentally eat some, my body reacts violently. I was warned that once you cut it out the slightest bit might make you ill, so I'm afraid it is all or nothing. sorry!
The cheapest way to eat is to make most of your meals rice based; make a pot of rice salad for lunch and have chilli for tea? Curry is another good option.
Tbh I usually pay a little bit extra to have some gluten free bread for those days I don't have time to cook properly.

To answer the original question, my only weird food thing is eating Dairylea every day.

Ani
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Jun 2011, 1:57 am

Awesome thread!

You know, gluten and casein free diets have been linked to reduced symptoms in kids with Autism and Asperger’s Syndrome. Wheat-free milk free diets(this is a link to an article)

Actually, I have a LOT of food sensitivities/intolerances (I call them allergies usually because most people don't know the difference between sensitivities and allergies. Allergies are where you go into anyphylactic shock when you eat it. Sensitivities are when your GI tract can't really digest it so you end up with lots of GI problems, chronic headaches, low energy, lotso mucus, low immune system etc.)

I am extremely sensitive to: dairy, eggs, gluten, and legumes (soy, peanuts, cashews, beans, etc.) As are my mom and sister, although they are not on the spectrum. It is really hard to completely change your diet the way we all did, but it is SO worth it. If you have regular: constipation, diarrhea, stomachaches, indigestion, headaches, get sick often, low energy, oily/bad skin, overweight, it is HIGHLY likely that you have one or more food sensitivities. LISTEN TO YOUR BODIES PEOPLES!

Cutting all or some of these delicious foods out of your diet is EXTREMELY hard, I will not lie to you. It takes time and willpower. You will have intense cravings and succumb to them. But it is SO WORTH IT.

I have more energy now then I have ever had in the past 20 years. I never get sick. I have regular bowel movements. Get stomachache or headache maybe once or twice every 6 months and I always know EXACTLY why I get it. I feel so healthy and on top of my body! Used to be slightly overweight but no longer! I feel so in tune with my body, whereas before I wasn't sure what was going on most of the time.

I used to have extremely stuffed mucusy nose my whole life, could never smell anything, got constant nosebleeds and rash around my nose from all the sneezing and rubbing I did. Was constipated most of the time. Got random stomachaches and headaches and it was so commonplace I just ignored them. So many other little chronic problems I didn't even notice until they were gone.

Oh, if your interested, check out my sister's blog on cooking/eating dairy, egg, and gluten free foods:My Gut Instincts It isn't actually that much more expensive then an ordinary American diet once you adjust to it and you do it right. Plus less expensive then paying for a doctor to prescribe you a bunch of pills that are just going to mask your symptoms, not address the problem. A lot of gluten free products are total ripoffs, it's better to learn how to do it yourself from scratch.

Ani
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Jun 2011, 1:41 pm

Whoops! the first link I posted didn't work for some reason. Here it is:

The GFCF (Gluten-Free, Casein-Free) Diet for Autism Spectrum Disorders

kahlua
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jul 2011, 6:14 am

Tonight I succumbed and had pizza (no cheese) and ice cream. I am going to regret it in the morning - I don't usually eat wheat or dairy.

Its not fair that the food I crave so much makes me so sick :(

Megz
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 12:55 pm

pavel_filonov wrote:
Megz wrote:

Hi

I really wouldn't recommend cutting out gluten most of the time but having the occasional treat. I've been off gluten for about three years now, and when I accidentally eat some, my body reacts violently. I was warned that once you cut it out the slightest bit might make you ill, so I'm afraid it is all or nothing. sorry!

Yeah, found that out the hard way last night. I've been doing dairy free since Monday, and for once I hadn't cheated at all. Last night I went to a movie with my friend and she bought a bunch of candy to share. Long story short, I ate half a Snickers bar. I figured it wouldn't matter since I hadn't been going without it for that long, but I was wrong. Within 10 minutes my stomach was growling at me, and when I woke up this morning, eczema was breaking out all over my face like it used to all the time.

Other than that though, I feel great. I don't think I've eaten this healthy my entire life. I really think I could do this for the rest of my life. And secretly I like having an excuse to not eat foods I don't like, like lasagna and random mystery-ingredient casseroles 8)