Page 1 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

fragaria
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Sep 2011, 9:44 am

People always assume that I'm angry but I'm not and it makes me sad.
How can I learn to make a normal, happy face? I cannot wear sunglasses all the time.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 9:58 am

It is hard for some on the spectrum to control their facial muscles, or to have them accurately express their feelings. You could tell people something like, "I'm not mad, my face just goes this way."

If they think you look mad because you are furrowing your brow or drawing your eyebrows together, you could get Botox injections in your forehead. If it's because you never smile, there's no quick fix for it other than forcing yourself to smile consciously until it becomes an ingrained habit.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Sep 2011, 10:14 am

I hate it when people say that to me. I have answered, "Really?" and then not said anything more. Why do people think that they have the right to control what expression you wear on your own face? :x It's a bad as some random stranger saying, "Cheer up! Things will get better." :evil:

Rhiannon0828
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Sep 2011, 12:21 pm

I think that people do this sometimes as a way of offering you a chance to discuss your feelings. Some people really do hate to see others in distress and will try to help if they can.
I think the comments about "you look (angry,sad, depressed, etc.) " are annoying, but I try to give the person the benefit of the doubt and acknowledge their attempt to be helpful. We should do everything we can to encourage good behavior from NTs! :)

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 1:27 pm

Yes, I get that response from people a lot. I don't know why.

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

mb1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Sep 2011, 4:32 pm

I get that quite a bit as well. I usually say "I was probably thinking or concentrating. My face looks mad when I do." Then it helps get people off my case as well, if they don't want to interrupt me if they figure I am concentrating on something.

Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 11:41 pm

smiling ugh, that hurts my face.

Melpomene
Raven
Raven

10 Sep 2011, 4:38 am

Yeah, just tell them it's your thinking face. You can't be perpetually smiley all the time.

LadySera
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Sep 2011, 3:49 am

Yep, I often look angry. Usually I'm just blank or confused though. Then if someone says something about my face I do get angry,lol. I must be getting old as I rarely get that "You're a pretty girl, you should smile" comment from extremely old men like I used to.

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 12:16 am

All the time. I give up. I just stay home as much as possible. :cry:

LemonPieForAPirate
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Oct 2011, 5:49 pm

you dont have to smile to please their needs and requirements. you should smile when you feel you want to, and it means something to you. :)

mntn13
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2011, 6:10 pm

It's o.k. to have one's face however one wants. I have to tell myself it is o.k. to be me every single time I open the door to go anywhere. And then, on the way there, and then while I am there - if I can remember to do so at that point.
(Here, I was going to insert all the different smilies I have but thought better of it).
Once in high school, one of my peers told me on the bus that I could hold the most blank, unfathomable expression that he had ever seen. Fine with me.

DataJinx
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Oct 2011, 6:23 pm

I remember when I was in elementary school and kids thought I was glaring at them when I just thinking.
And I've been told that I look mad when I'm just walking with what I thought was a blank look on my face.

LemonPieForAPirate

02 Oct 2011, 6:26 pm

DataJinx wrote:
I remember when I was in elementary school and kids thought I was glaring at them when I just thinking.
And I've been told that I look mad when I'm just walking with what I thought was a blank look on my face.

I know exactly how you feel....people say that to me too all the time, and why am i so miserable and bitter looking when im just away with the goblins

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Oct 2011, 6:34 pm

Perhaps we could reply, "Well, come to think of it..." :twisted:

dontslowmedown
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2011, 6:56 pm

I don't get told i look angry, but i have had people telling me to smile a lot.