Do most people have just 1 style of clothing?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Aspiestar924
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Apr 2012, 12:54 pm

I was just thinking about the way I dress and does it attract too much negative attention.

I have my own style in that it's a mix of styles: for the most part I dress in 'nerdy' plain or patterned shirts/blouses or graphic and geeky t shirts with jeans and if I need to look formal I wear smart trousers and a shirt.

However, I do collect a lot of different 'looks' for fashion and I wear them when I'm not wearing the nerdy stuff- it's a 50/50 split.

-Steampunk/classic lolita look
-40s vintage
-60s vintage
-80s vintage
-50s and also 20s/30 vintage stuff sometimes
-Modern fashions

I just fear it looks odd for people who know me to see me chopping and changing styles so much - a supposed 'friend' when I was a teenager took me down for it.

Do most people just stick to one style with the odd bit of variation? Is there anything wrong with having such a mix of different clothing tastes?

Your Aspie score: 193 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 43 of 200

Briana_Lopez
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Apr 2012, 1:48 pm

I change my style just about everyday. One day I might wear sporty, so the next I might wear preppy, girly, nerdy, punk, skater, classy, geek, tomboy, chic, and I've even tried emo a couple times.

Aspiestar924

09 Apr 2012, 2:40 pm

Thanks, it's nice to hear other teen/twenty something Aspies are bold with their appearence :)

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 5:26 pm

I think people do tend to have favourites. My style is just clothes, all and any clothes will do. So like Briana_Lopez I will chop and change quite a bit, one day I'm wearing tracky bottoms and a baggy top, next day I'm wearing a summer dress.
I like bright colours usually and wacky patterns, horizontal stripes are another favourite.

Aspiestar924

09 Apr 2012, 7:59 pm

Thanks, I'll think about how others may dress and weigh it up.

I love the quote about primates :)

curlyfry
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 11:20 am

Depends on where I'm going. Mostly it's just to the grocery store than it's jeans and tees or sweaters cause it got chilly again

If a concert or wedding I might go sexy casual. Something a bit more feminine and form fitting but still respectable.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 8:46 pm

I wear a diffrent style of clothes for every day and also I dress a certin way on holidays to 8)

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 10:51 pm

My style hasn't changed much and I don't expect that it will really although the influences I have in my particular style are very mixed in their own way.

That said, I know many girls go through "stages" when it comes to clothes, only later to just go between all their looks depending on what they feel like on the day. I don't see anything wrong with it, if that's what they like then go for it.

The people commenting to you are probably the people who need shaking up a bit (at least that's what I've found!).

cozysweater
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 11:22 pm

I go for nerdy and a little twee. For work, I like pants or skirts (not jeans) with blouses and/or sweater or a dress with tights and flats. (the flats because I clomp like a kiddie in heels)
At home, on my own, I wear promotional t-shirts and baggy jeans. Right now I'm wearing a bright orange t-shirt that advertises a plumbing service and jeans that don't have any knees. Sexy.
I like fashion, I just hate shopping and only do it in fits and starts. I do a quarterly run to Target and Goodwill for basics and to fill in any gaps and about once a year I go all out and head over to a mall that has both a Macys and Nordstrom.

So basically, I stick to one style because that's all I've got. I could fit all my clothes into a mid-sized duffle.

SecretAgent

20 Apr 2012, 9:13 pm

I like many very different styles of clothing, too. And frankly I don't care what other people think of it. If I want to go shopping in a Medieval dress or a pirate outfit, then by all mean I shall! Never be afraid to be yourself. I think all you people who have lots of different styles and/or dress strangely are totally awesome. :3

Inyanook
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Apr 2012, 9:19 pm

I change my style so often it's crazy, but generally it will be some combination of vaguely retro, somewhat nerdy, eco-hippy-thingy or clean-cut stylishish. Ishishishish. Once I start with the "ishes" it's hard to stop. :mrgreen:

It was tense.

Lytig
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Apr 2012, 5:19 pm

I pull clothes from a bunch of different styles. One day, I'll be in hippie clothes, the next day I may wear a geeky shirt and pants. I also enjoy wearing dresses. My style changes from day to day based on what happens to be clean and what I feel like wearing. I have never be true to any one style, though. It's just a mess of a bunch of different styles and I like that.

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2012, 5:29 pm

Aspiestar924 wrote:
-Steampunk/classic lolita look
-40s vintage
-60s vintage
-80s vintage
-50s and also 20s/30 vintage stuff sometimes
-Modern fashions

I just fear it looks odd for people who know me to see me chopping and changing styles so much - a supposed 'friend' when I was a teenager took me down for it.

Do most people just stick to one style with the odd bit of variation? Is there anything wrong with having such a mix of different clothing tastes?
I don't think most people have that many different styles, but that doesn't make it wrong. It seems that you have a strong interest in vintage fashions of various eras. To me that seems rather cool. :)

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2012, 6:18 pm

Long shirt that covers my butt, black leggings, flip-flops or sandals, and a hair accessory.

If not, hoodie and sweatpants or shorts and t-shirt.

bluedog
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Apr 2012, 10:49 pm

I have basically one style, jeans and t-shirts -- with the occasional sweater in the winter and shorts in the summer. If I wear anything different, I feel extremely uncomfortable.

ATwistedLogic
Raven
Raven

27 Apr 2012, 4:07 pm

I wear t shirts and shorts with barefeet or flip flops pretty much all year round :)