Skirts and dresses: vulnerability from below

Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 8:27 pm

I'll never understand girls and women wearing skirts and dresses or being made to or expected to by various authority figures, such as schools and employers. Skirts and dresses, because of that vulnerability from below, have always appeared to me to be less modest than wearing shorts or pants, yet I've heard different groups think differently: They think showing the gap between a female's thighs is immodest. Well, I think it's bull. Skirts and dresses have the potential of revealing much more in an unwanted fashion than shorts or pants.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 9:15 pm

"Modesty" is based on what men find threatening and arousing, so it isn't likely to make much sense.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2014, 10:40 pm

I've always preferred skirts. Below the knee though and with lots of material. I find pants cloying and more revealing - especially yoga pants. Too much information.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2014, 11:25 pm

I don't know what situations females are made to wear skirts/dresses that seems weird. But there are leggings and such one could wear under them to make it less revealing. If I wear a skirt or dress I'd be likely to have leggings or tight fitting shorts under them to provide a little more cover as I am not to comfortable with the thought of the wind picking up having nothing but a pair of underwear on underneath, but I rarely ever even wear a skirt even let alone a dress but have in the past in some circumstances.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

27 Nov 2014, 11:32 pm

There is an old school rule out there I have heard of.

Young girls get short skirts. The older the woman, the longer the dress.

As far as I know, this was some weird standard a long time ago. School girls get the shortest ones. First time I heard it, all I could think of was some weird adult male act of perversion.

They got away with it.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 6:09 am

There's still limits on how short school skirts can be I think. I used to hear stories about how they checked the skirt lengths at my old high school; they used to make them bend over and if the back of the skirt was the same level as the crotch it was too short. Imagine the old perv teachers doing the checks everyday :(.

Younger women can get away with wearing shorter skirts because they don't have cellulite or varicose veins. Most skirt styles look terrible on me since I have wide hips that taper to really skinny calves (most skirts make my hips look even wider and my legs even skinnier). I wish I could wear pencil skirts.

elkclan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 1:16 pm

I used to hate skirts and dresses until I started teaming leggings with dresses. It's like wearing pyjamas all day and I always look like I've made a bit more effort, even though I've made less. :-)

But I would hate to be made to wear them. I know some religious groups are really big on this.

timtowdi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Nov 2014, 1:47 pm

beneficii wrote:
I'll never understand girls and women wearing skirts and dresses or being made to or expected to by various authority figures, such as schools and employers. Skirts and dresses, because of that vulnerability from below, have always appeared to me to be less modest than wearing shorts or pants, yet I've heard different groups think differently: They think showing the gap between a female's thighs is immodest. Well, I think it's bull. Skirts and dresses have the potential of revealing much more in an unwanted fashion than shorts or pants.

Regardless of what you wear, there's not a hell of a lot between you and naked. I don't see what the big deal is.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 4:06 pm

Interesting. I don't really feel more vulnerable in a skirt. I feel more comfortable in a skirt and like wearing them. I tend to go for skirts that are knee length. Trousers tend to be uncomfortable for me, unless they are pyjama pants.

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2014, 7:11 pm

I like skirts. I find them very comfortable. But knowing there are men out there who sneak photographs up skirts and dresses has driven me away from wearing them. Also, I completely see what you're saying about the modesty issue. I feel the same way.

I've always thought it weird and very inappropriate for schools to force female students (especially little girls who aren't body conscious, have no real understanding of modesty, and really just want to play) to wear skirts. I've always thought it weird and inappropriate that some judges demand that female lawyers wear skirt suits instead of pants suits.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2014, 8:19 pm

^^^ surley it must be an act of perversion. I don't see how men can get away with making rules like that. They could wear a 19th century satin dress for all I care. Umbrella, and everything. Fancy :heart:

AlienorAspie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Dec 2014, 2:38 am

This still happens in "civilised" countries?! Really?

Nearly 20 years ago I got my school to change the uniform rules so girls could wear trousers. It seemed soooo ridiculously unfair to be made to be uncomfortable walking to school with bags pullin up of spinning the skirt around etc. they were a nightmare when I had a big school bag to carry. I thought it was just another way they thought they could keep women down.

The only answer they had to my objections was "thems the rules". In the end they had no choice to change it, but they imposed stupid rules on exactly which trousers could be worn- boys baggy straight ones- at a time when no-one would dare not to wear bootcut. It was like a punishment to any girl who dared to not wear a skirt. In the end I think it was too much hassle for them to police and all trousers became acceptable :)

I still wore skirts, but I wore them when I wanted to, as my campaign was about sexism- either sex should be able to choose- skirt or trousers.

I Imagine if they tried to tell a transgender teen to wear "gender-appropriate" clothing these days they'd be too scared to get sued? Maybe I'm still too naive and really most ppl just accept stupid rules like this if they're set out by a perceived authority?

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 5:20 am

beneficii wrote:
Skirts and dresses have the potential of revealing much more in an unwanted fashion than shorts or pants.

I've also thought about that, and I agree completely. A gust of wind or tripping is all it takes. To say nothing of more direct methods certain individuals might be willing to use in order to sneak a peek.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 6:42 am

BetwixtBetween wrote:
I've always thought it weird and very inappropriate for schools to force female students (especially little girls who aren't body conscious, have no real understanding of modesty, and really just want to play) to wear skirts.

I don't see how wearing a skirt makes a difference. You can still play in a skirt. I did when i was young. Not everything is about sex. Why must things be about modesty?

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 7:21 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
beneficii wrote:
Skirts and dresses have the potential of revealing much more in an unwanted fashion than shorts or pants.

I've also thought about that, and I agree completely. A gust of wind or tripping is all it takes. To say nothing of more direct methods certain individuals might be willing to use in order to sneak a peek.

I don't know, I find tight fitting pants/leggings much sexier than skirts and dresses.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 9:57 pm

trollcatman wrote:
Skilpadde wrote:
beneficii wrote:

I don't know, I find tight fitting pants/leggings much sexier than skirts and dresses.

Camel toe is NOT sexy. :eew: . Neither is a man in spandex.