Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2013, 3:58 pm

Really bad PMS

Do any other females here have problems with severe pms to the point of feeling suicidal and even aggressive (feeling almost violent)?

Also bursting into tears, extreme mood swings, diarrhea, bloating, tenderness, cramps, food cravings (usually carbohydrates) etc.

3 months in a row now I have had the same patterns around my period...it seems to be causing me to have meltdowns (if that is what my upsets are where I scream, cry and hit myself on the head) as well. I can have them at other times but they are 10 times worse and more frequent just before my period.

I always did have pms issues and I told my drs this many years ago (not that they take pms seriously) but it has been absolutely terrible lately.

I have changed my diet to include EFA's and I have started exercising (I am a little over weight) but it has not helped yet.

To add to my misery she has stopped being regular. At least if she is very regular I can predict the mood swings before they strike and prepare myself (I will know it's my period coming and not think that my mood is really crashing) but as I am unsure when she is going to appear she pulls a surprise attack on me which puts me at the disadvantage. She is arriving anywhere from 2 weeks to 4 weeks apart and is heavier than she used to be.

Am I the only one with problems?

If it persists (and I probably need to start keeping a diary actually) then i shall see my gp (complete with personal records) but if others have had the same issue what helped you?

I can't keep feeling like I want to smash peoples heads in or kill myself every month! It has the effect of ruining my life even more than my other issues do as people think I have gone crazy. And people don't believe you because no one takes female pms problems seriously (not back when i used to complain to my drs about it anyway). It makes me look and feel like a raving lunatic, which I am not most of the time.

I will come back to normal within 2 days of my period arriving and will be rational again.

I really hate aunt flow, she is a b***h.

bookwyrm
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Nov 2013, 4:55 pm

My worst times definitely co-inside with my cycle. (Aunt Flow - I like that! But not her of course...)
I am far more likely to feel suicidal or get so upset I hit myself when its that time of the month. In fact I have noticed an alternate cycle - maybe one ovary is worse than the other? I have finally got myself to the point that I can realise why I am feeling so bad and not take what I am thinking or feeling seriously because I know it won't last. Just in time for it to go away, at least they are getting more frequent which can be the first sign of menapause. Typical! But being aware is half the battle. You are not your feelings, remember that, they pass like a storm...

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2013, 5:58 pm

Yep, me too. I was able to control it eventually ( over the course of 6 months or so) by 1. Getting slim, 2. Eating no, or almost no sugar - get un-addicted from sugar - and lots of protein, 3. exercising every day for an hour, 4. Reminding myself when the insane stuff starts that it is temporary and to take a break from work or school - stay in my room - if necessary.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2013, 6:11 pm

alpineglow wrote:
Yep, me too. I was able to control it eventually ( over the course of 6 months or so) by 1. Getting slim, 2. Eating no, or almost no sugar - get un-addicted from sugar - and lots of protein, 3. exercising every day for an hour, 4. Reminding myself when the insane stuff starts that it is temporary and to take a break from work or school - stay in my room - if necessary.

Is there a way around the irregularity?

She hit me with a surprise attack this month (arriving an entire week earlier than expected) meaning when the suicidal feelings/aggression came I thought I was getting really bad clinical depression and losing my mind as I didn't realise flow was arriving.

Also when you say sugar, do you mean processed sugars or all carbohydrates (just to clarify)?

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2013, 6:47 pm

Quote:
Also when you say sugar, do you mean processed sugars or all carbohydrates (just to clarify)?

Oh, yes I mean processed sugars. I cheat once in a while (everything in moderation, even moderation lol) It really helps me to have one piece of fresh fruit every day, usually an apple, and a lot of vegetables. It took me quite a while to get to this point, because I loved my sweets. But cutting down the insanity to a bearable level was worth it.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2013, 6:51 pm

alpineglow wrote:
Quote:

Oh, yes I mean processed sugars. I cheat once in a while (everything in moderation, even moderation lol) It really helps me to have one piece of fresh fruit every day, usually an apple, and a lot of vegetables. It took me quite a while to get to this point, because I loved my sweets. But cutting down the insanity to a bearable level was worth it.

How long did it take to get rid of the sugar addiction side of things?

I tried to give the stuff up recently as part of the paleo diet I am trying, but have not gotten there yet! I keep buying tiffany slices from the bakers shop....

Superflynurse
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Nov 2013, 6:59 pm

bumble wrote:
alpineglow wrote:
Quote:

I tried to give the stuff up recently as part of the paleo diet I am trying, but have not gotten there yet! I keep buying tiffany slices from the bakers shop....

You can't honestly believe that you're the only woman with PMS or PMDD. I was diagnosed with PMDD a while ago. I have all of those symptoms that you listed above. The doctor prescribed birth control pills and Prozac. I really worked.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2013, 7:01 pm

Superflynurse wrote:
bumble wrote:
alpineglow wrote:
Quote:

You can't honestly believe that you're the only woman with PMS or PMDD. I was diagnosed with PMDD a while ago. I have all of those symptoms that you listed above. The doctor prescribed birth control pills and Prozac. I really worked.

No I was wondering if anyone else here on this board had the same problem.

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2013, 7:51 pm

I cannot take birth control pills and I can't afford Prozac, so I researched how to conquer it on my own. Whatever works is what is the important thing.

It took me more than a year to cut back on sugar - I have to stay clear of bakeries oh yes.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2013, 8:47 pm

I don't get symptoms as bad as yours, but losing weight helped me a lot. Not sure why - hormone imbalance/inflamation in the body?

What *really* helped me with eating less sweets was Paul McKenna's book, "I Can Make You Slim" - it's nothing about diets. It teaches you to eat slowly and savour every mouthful. No diet - you get to eat what you like AND you tune into how much your *stomach* needs. It helped me drop four dress sizes and keep it off *brag brag*. :D It's the best "diet" ever, and slim people do it naturally.

Superflynurse
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Nov 2013, 8:49 pm

bumble wrote:
Superflynurse wrote:
bumble wrote:
alpineglow wrote:
Quote:

No I was wondering if anyone else here on this board had the same problem.

I didn't mean to be rude. I think, but I could be wrong, Prozac or the generic is on the four dollar list at walmart. And you can get free birth control pills at planned parenthood.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2013, 11:11 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01GFgEBit_s[/youtube] Apparently drinking milk helps.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 3:36 am

My PMS is really bad too. I can get it not only at the beginning of my period but near the end too. Last month after my period, everything made me cry. I cried at least two or three times a day for a week or two straight. It didn't matter if it was day or night or whether I was alone or around people. (For reference, I normally only cry once a month, alone, at night.) I was having thoughts of hurting myself and others, and I felt like I was losing my mind. At one point my mom considered putting me in the mental hospital.

Thankfully things got better over time. I still don't know what caused me to break down like that (aside from hormones), and it makes me nervous that it could happen to me again. Emotionally that was the darkest place I had been since 9 years ago, before I started my meds. I really don't want to go to that place again, and I certainly don't want it to get so bad that I need to be hospitalized. :(

I'm currently in the middle of another period, and so far I feel completely fine. Then again, if I recall correctly, I said the same thing last month too...

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 11:27 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-QtsqNdfYU :lol:

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 11:31 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho5UvzNZC2o&list=PL5D62BCF38B9F271B[/youtube]