Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

HisMom
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2014, 3:54 pm

Is there a natural way to prevent the early onset of menarche ? I am not looking into delaying it medically, but naturally, if at all possible.

Thank you for sharing any information you may have.

At least I'm sure it may be so in "Denmark".

-- Hamlet, 1.5.113-116

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2014, 5:08 pm

Get as far away from civilization as possible. Some things I've read indicated that women who live in hunter-gatherer societies do not reach menstruating age until their late teens. I don't know, maybe you can approximate their living environment by avoiding industrial toxins ? pollution, processed food, etc. ? and getting lots of regular exercise. Professional female athletes tend to begin menstruation later than non-athletes.

Oren
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2014, 5:11 pm

Undernourishment.

HisMom
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2014, 5:29 pm

starkid wrote:
Professional female athletes tend to begin menstruation later than non-athletes.

Thank you for this heads-up. Is the delay due to the strenuous physical exercise or also their diet, possible medications / supplements etc ?

How about martial arts ? Do they also aid in delaying menarche until at least age 15 ?

-- Hamlet, 1.5.113-116

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2014, 5:34 pm

HisMom wrote:
Thank you for this heads-up. Is the delay due to the strenuous physical exercise or also their diet, possible medications / supplements etc ?

I don't know any details about the biology behind this, but I think it is the strenuous exercise, and this is what was indicated in the article. I've found that my bleeding becomes lighter and cramps disappear when I get regular, moderate exercise, so I suspect that exercise also affects onset of menarche as well.
Quote:
How about martial arts ? Do they also aid in delaying menarche until at least age 15 ?

I don't know. The article I read focused specifically on runners and gymnasts.

HisMom
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2014, 4:00 am

starkid wrote:
HisMom wrote:

I don't know any details about the biology behind this, but I think it is the strenuous exercise, and this is what was indicated in the article. I've found that my bleeding becomes lighter and cramps disappear when I get regular, moderate exercise, so I suspect that exercise also affects onset of menarche as well.
Quote:

I don't know. The article I read focused specifically on runners and gymnasts.

Thank you. Could you share links to the article that you read ? I am wondering if the publishers took into account athletic girls who were at risk for early menarche (example - a history of PCOD / insulin resistence in their families, early adrenarche, low birth weight etc) or if they randomly considered girls both with and without these risk factors, to see if intensity of physical exercise alone had any effect on onset of puberty ?

Metformin therapy is always an option, but it is far better to prevent this naturally, if possible, given existing risk factors. Thanks again.

-- Hamlet, 1.5.113-116

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 6:18 pm

I'm sorry; I don't remember the the name of the article or where I read it.