Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 9:24 pm

It seems like there are very few places online to talk to other women about things like books (especially non-fiction), STEM, and philosophy. All the forums I belong to are dominated by males. Is it just appearances, or are most women not interested in those things?

I get tired of being on forums full of guys because they say disgusting things and assume that everyone posting is male. This sub-forum is kind of dead, and too many of the threads are about babies, body parts, and birth control.

Has anyone found other women to talk to about non-stereotypical subjects, online or off? Where/how?

HisMom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 9:31 pm

starkid wrote:
It seems like there are very few places online to talk to other women about things like books (especially non-fiction), STEM, and philosophy. All the forums I belong to are dominated by males. Is it just appearances, or are most women not interested in those things?

I get tired of being on forums full of guys because they say disgusting things and assume that everyone posting is male. This sub-forum is kind of dead, and too many of the threads are about babies, body parts, and birth control.

Has anyone found other women to talk to about non-stereotypical subjects, online or off? Where/how?

I don't think there are any women-only forums anywhere for ANY interest / hobbies. If you want to find people (not just women) to talk to about books, you may want to contact your local library to see if there are any reading clubs that meet there on a weekly or monthly basis. I remember that our local Barnes & Noble had a reading club meeting every other Wednesday evenings (several years ago), but it was a mixed gender club, not a women-only club.

Finding philosophy / philosophical discussion groups online might be easier than finding them in real life. This is not only because there are so many schools of thought, but also because not many people may actually be interested in discussing philosophy ! Yahoo likely has many special interest forums so you may be able to find one that you like. Out of curiosity, what intellectual tradition do you subscribe to ? I subscribe to Cynicism (Diogenes is my favourite philosopher -- the man was a RIOT) !

At least I'm sure it may be so in "Denmark".

-- Hamlet, 1.5.113-116

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 9:37 pm

HisMom wrote:
I don't think there are any women-only forums anywhere.

There are. I'm on one or two, but they are boring as hell.

Quote:
If you want to find people to talk to about books, you may want to contact your local library to see if there are any reading clubs that meet there on a weekly or monthly basis.

You just reminded me of another problem: I generally only like oldish books. I've looked at some book groups and they are always reading modern books.

Quote:
Out of curiosity, what intellectual tradition do you subscribe to ? I subscribe to Cynicism (Diogenes is my favourite philosopher -- the man was a RIOT) !

None. I'm not that deep into philosophy, actually, it was kind of just an example. I'm into symbolic logic, and that's usually categorized with philosophy. I know that symbolic logic is way too specific of an interest to specify.

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2014, 6:59 pm

I used to try to find a place to talk to other women, but eventually gave up. My interest (right now anyway) is space weather, but I read kind of a lot and go through various subjects like pre Christian Europe and British Isles, Magellan, and Greece/Greek plus last year when we were home schooling (completely secular btw) perfunctory albeit not half-hearted introduction for my kid (13) to philosophy. I like older books too. I just ordered a 1955 book about auroras.

I wish to find a place (here? probably not happening) to talk to other women, but I have little to no interest in normal female things like fashion, make-up and relationship.

Starkid