Page 1 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2006, 6:21 am

I want to ask other females what your opinion of makeup is. Before I say much in here, I want to get this straight.

I am NOT asking Males whether they find a girl wearing makeup attractive or not. If you are a guy that likes wearing makeup, It's fine to answer.

(on a side note I think this forum needs to be heavily moderated).

Anyway

Who here wears makeup at all? (Counts as heavy makeup, light makeup, or even lip gloss) Why do you do it?

I sometimes wear makeup, because it makes me feel more attractive, even if it's just a swish of mascara and some lip gloss. I also kind of have self esteem issues when it comes to my appearance. I've noticed a lot of other aspie females don't ever where makeup, is this because you can't be botehred, don't like the feel of it or are super confident... or just don't care?

Dandelion
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Aug 2006, 6:34 am

um... I wear makeup on Halloween, sometimes. But even then I want to go wash my face long before the evening's over.

Otherwise, I do not wear it, as it's very uncomfortable for me.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2006, 7:02 am

Er... well I'm not a female but I wear makeup often when I'm doing performances. If I were a woman, I'm not sure how I'd feel about makeup in terms of trying to make myself attractive, but I DO know one thing - makeup is greasy and yuck. It makes me feel like my skin needs to breathe. And it's even worse when you start to work up a sweat. Although I probably wouldn't sweat so much if I were a female. :?

Captain_Brown
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2006, 7:59 am

I don't like makeup.

Astarael
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2006, 9:37 am

I very rarely wear make up at all because I dislike the feeling of it on my skin (foundation especially) and I always forget that I'm wearing it and touch my face and then freak out that I've smeared it everywhere. Plus it's effort to put on and take off and maintain throughout the day/night. At the most I might wear some eyeshadow, mascara and eyeliner if I'm feeling self-conscious or someone has just made me feel really insecure - or I'm going out somewhere kind of special. I wear lip gloss occassionally, but I usually just put lip balm on at night to stop them from getting dry/cracking.. otherwise I tend to rub my lips together too often for anything good to come out of wearing it.

anandamide
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2006, 10:23 am

I never wear any makeup at all. To me it seems like some archaic convention left over from a bygone era. Which is just as well because I can't afford to buy makeup. I used to get my eyebrows dyed at a salon but I can't afford that now.

The truth is I think I look better with makeup, but that seems to contradict the male view. Most men I've talked to prefer women not to wear makeup.

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2006, 10:33 am

hale_bopp wrote:
If you are a guy that likes wearing makeup, It's fine to answer.

I'm a guy and I like wearing the occasional lipstick or black nail polish, but as a result I've had to experience society's prejudiced issues against men wearing makeup, which really bothers me. I don't see why men shoudln't be allowed to wear makeup. That, however, is more of a topic for the Men's Discussion forum.

Louise
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Aug 2006, 12:12 pm

A lot of women seem to look either the same or better without makeup. However, sometimes in small amounts it seems to be an improvement.

When I was younger I used to dislike wearing it as it made my skin feel strange, but now sometimes wear some eyeshadow and/or mascara and/or that pinkish powder stuff you put along your cheekbones with a brush. Although I tend to worry when wearing anything around my eyes in a stressy situation, as I sometimes stim by picking at my eyelashes. But this has a good side as well, as being careful to not smudge anything sometimes stops me picking at my eyes atogether. (And doing it tends to thin out the eyelashes, as well as looking strange.)

pineapple
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2006, 6:28 pm

Yah, I wear makeup most days, because I think it makes me look better...I usually wear some concealer, lip gloss, and eyeliner...nothing too complex. I look really young, and I sometimes use makeup to make me look older (not age makeup, just more powder and mascara). Playing with different colors is fun too.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2006, 3:04 am

The only time I put on makeup is when I'm going out on a friday or saturday night.
It's time consuming for me to put it on so sometimes I only wear lip gloss, concealer and some eyeshadow. I can never put eyeliner or mascara on properly so I go without those :oops: .
When I go the whole way with foundation I usually end up looking worse than I did without makeup cos of sweating and things. Makeup seems to need a lot of maintenance through the night. Maybe theres a difference when the foundation is oil free :?

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2006, 3:32 am

blue_bean wrote:
The only time I put on makeup is when I'm going out on a friday or saturday night.
It's time consuming for me to put it on so sometimes I only wear lip gloss, concealer and some eyeshadow. I can never put eyeliner or mascara on properly so I go without those :oops: .
When I go the whole way with foundation I usually end up looking worse than I did without makeup cos of sweating and things. Makeup seems to need a lot of maintenance through the night. Maybe theres a difference when the foundation is oil free :?

Yes, I have the same problem.. It always ends up looking sweatty, and when I wear mascara at work it smears everwhere because I work a very sweaty job. Oil free has the same problem :/

riley
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Aug 2006, 5:44 am

hale_bopp wrote:
Yes, I have the same problem.. It always ends up looking sweatty, and when I wear mascara at work it smears everwhere because I work a very sweaty job. Oil free has the same problem :/

I eventually started tinting my eyelashes with an old mascara brush [and a fine one for small lashes].. works okay but you have to be careful not to get in your eyes. I don't mind wearing heavier makeup but I have very pale skin and have had difficulty finding colours that don't make me look like a corpse. Last time I tried to buy a lipstick they all had glitter in them so when they bled or faded the glitter would get left behind. There doesn't seem to be much variety other than whats in fashion at the time.. it's annoying as it's rare I find something that actually suits me.

Last edited by riley on 04 Aug 2006, 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

emc
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Aug 2006, 6:15 am

I rarely wear make-up and I think my skin is in better condition because of my not wearing it. I only wear lip balm for dry lips generally, or the odd bit of concealer on pimples.

However, now I'm in my early 30's I can see why people wear make-up.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2006, 3:37 pm

I don't wear Make-up, because I don't have the Fine Motor Skills or the patience to bother with it. Some of the Brushes and Sponges are small. I also don't like the feel of it. I only wear Medicated Lip-Gloss, because my Lips chap easily.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2006, 3:58 pm

I have tried wearing makeup several times because I hate the way I look(sorry,its an ongoing strugle for me)but I usually feel like I'm "indrag" look weird and end up washing it off...I hate the way foundation of powders feel on my skin(smothering)and dont want to run to the bathroom and fix it ..I'm just to paranoid and self conciouse as it is without this to worry about...

I like the look of masscara but I always rub my eyes and hate the way it looks when it flacks off and it hurts when it gets in my eyes...same with eyeshadow....lipstick taste horrible and again,there is the maintenance issue...I use Blistex to prevent chapping...hate dry lipps and have about 5 tubes at a time,since I'm always losing things...

I'm not anti-make-up....each female should be able to choose...not influnced by mass media or feminist peer pressure....I think it can be an artistic expression....love the Goth and Punk looks but cant handle the sensory over-load myself...

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

ryansjoy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Aug 2006, 9:24 am

emc wrote:
I rarely wear make-up and I think my skin is in better condition because of my not wearing it. I only wear lip balm for dry lips generally, or the odd bit of concealer on pimples.

However, now I'm in my early 30's I can see why people wear make-up.

i fought Acne issues all my life. and when i stop wearing the war paint as I call it my acne issues cleared up.. i was well into my 20's when it cleared up. so it was not a puberty thing. My mother was so ashamed of the way I looked she used to punish me if I did not look the way she wanted me to look.. she always got on my case for not wearing it and she told me I needed to cover that stuff up.. she used to take me to a dermatoligist who gave me meds to control the acne and back then it was antibiotics. well the long term use of the meds has made me have several other issues.. i stopped using make up when I realized that it was not at all helping my appearance and my acne cleared up.. i feel my skin is much healthier for not wearing all the goop.. i only get pimples now whem my period is on its way.. and they come and go much faster when i don't put goop on to cover it up...