Page 6 of 17 [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 17  Next

Woodpeace
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Apr 2008, 10:24 am

I associate snobbery with class. If most autistics are middle class rather than working class, that would be a reason for autistic social class snobs to claim superiority.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 10:34 am

anbuend wrote:
I said that when communication fails between a non-autistic and autistic person, it's usually because both sides have trouble understanding each other. Not because of the innate social deficits of one side or another.

And that happens to usually be true: Non-autistic people usually have no inherent "social skill" for understanding autistic people, and autistic people usually have no inherent "social skill" for understanding non-autistic people. Both have deficits in understanding the other, but because of sheer numbers, one sort at the moment usually has to deal with being regarded as the only one with the deficit, and that makes no sense.

I know you are very adamant about your theory that people on the autistic spectrum have a different, alternative set of social skills (including different body language), but I can't say I've suddenly been able to read aspies' body language better than normal; in fact, many aspies I've met are very emotionally unexpressive and have little body language to read (except, say, rocking as they speak). I tend to pick up best on body language that is simple and obvious; the subtle nuances of body language are usually lost on me.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 11:03 am

*sigh*

If you read what I say, and not what I don't say, you'll notice that I say some autistic people understand some other autistic people's body language well, and that the understanding usually has to do with sharing a particular set of signals, and is not universal, there being many groupings this happens within, but it's not applicable to "all autistic people understanding all autistic people's body language," that's a gross oversimplification.

Also, just for reference, even though this is way off-topic in some ways, autistic people who seem to some people to have no body language might have quite a lot. Just because most non-autistic people and some autistic people can't see it doesn't mean it's not there. I have body language that a few friends of mine consider crystal-clear but that has been declared non-existent by others (my own brother considers me "hard to read" because of this, while a few other autistic people can read me like a book).

And that's not about me being "adamant," it's an actual experience shared by many autistic people. You can read people talking about it a lot when it does happen. This is because it happens. It happens totally independently of your or my opinion about it, it's just a fact of some autistic social interaction. This isn't theory, it's just plain fact that can be verified without resorting to theorizing. It happens, because various autistic people have said it happens, it's very striking when it does happen, and you can presume we're not all lying about it. The existence of various social skills in autistic people (and of autistic people at some times even outperforming some non-autistic people on some social tasks -- this not meaning a thing about superiority or inferiority) is another thing verified by research, not just by "theorizing".

Keep in mind also that when I talk about this I'm talking about on average being similar in that regard. Autistic people will have a wide range of social abilities with other autistic people (especially after controlling for living in an environment where those skills are not encouraged whatsoever), just as non-autistic people have a wide range of social abilities with other non-autistic people. I am sure that there are non-autistic people who read other non-autistic people wrong just as much as you read autistic people wrong. And keep in mind that there are many subtypes of autism as well, not just yours.

But what I'm getting at isn't just about that.

It's about the fact that, when studied, autistic people do have differences from non-autistic people, but those differences are not centered around social skills in any way. They are centered around differences (and which differences will of course vary) in thinking and perception. It's often the clash of two different ways of thinking and perceiving the world that creates the social confusion on both sides.

What I am saying, here, is that non-autistic people are generally unable to innately and instinctively understand autistic people, both on the level of body language, and on the level of how we think and how we use language and a number of other things.

And autistic people are generally unable to innately and instinctively understand non-autistic people, both on the level of body language, and on the level of how they think and how they use language and a number of other things.

Both autistic and non-autistic people share the same likelihood of having a tendency to assume that other people share the same basic perceptions of the world. This is a social skill in some situations (an excellent shortcut) and a social deficit in other situations (a good way to make faulty assumptions without even realizing it), for both sets of people. But non-autistic people are more often put into situations where it's a social skill (and come to over-rely on it beyond any actual observational skills), and autistic people are more often put into situations where the same trait is a social deficit (and come to distrust it or even forget it exists).

Autistic people are put into more social situations that involve having to understand people very much unlike them in these ways, though, and are thus more likely to pick up by adulthood a secondary set of understandings, that people are different from them in those ways.

For some people, this secondary set of social understandings becomes "the only way people are", and thus they think of other people (including other autistic people) in a simplified version of the way non-autistic people seem to think of other people. They would probably not have done this in another environment, but it's how they do it in this one. Even if they had the capacity to understand other autistic people, they haven't had the environment to learn it so that sort of skill atrophies.

Also, autistic people having certain social skills doesn't mean all the social skills are geared towards understanding other autistic people, or that these social skills will be the same in all autistic people. Autistic people do have social and communication skills though, even when they differ in their execution from non-autistic people's (and sometimes they are the same ones as non-autistic people but look different because they are autistic).

And having the capacity for certain social skills doesn't mean being in an environment that allows that capacity to develop. Sometimes also the person has to develop other skills (some of which may be social) at the expense of that one, even if that one would otherwise be able to develop. (As I mentioned in another thread, I think some people get locked into verbal communication -- which is a social skill if nobody's noticed!! ! -- and because of that are spending too much energy on verbal skills to spend much if any on comprehension of body language.)

And the situation I am describing does not even rely on autistic people's ability to understand each other. It relies on the fact that usually if an autistic and a non-autistic person communicate, both of them have trouble understanding each other and thus communicating in a way that the other can understand. The autistic person doesn't have to understand other autistic people well, in order for the non-autistic person to have difficulty understanding the autistic person.

So you're not only way oversimplifying what I've said (into a sort of caricatured version that has almost nothing to do with what I said, but is easy to make look ridiculous, because of course not all autistic people can read each other, and of course some can't read each other well at all, that's just a given) but also applying it where it really doesn't matter. For the communication problem to run both ways doesn't require the autistic person to be able to understand all other autistic people particularly well. It just requires the lack of understanding between an autistic and a non-autistic person to be mutual.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 1:00 pm

anbuend wrote:
If you read what I say, and not what I don't say, you'll notice that I say some autistic people understand some other autistic people's body language well, and that the understanding usually has to do with sharing a particular set of signals, and is not universal, there being many groupings this happens within, but it's not applicable to "all autistic people understanding all autistic people's body language," that's a gross oversimplification.

Throughout your lengthy post, you did not provide any one concrete example of autistic body language that differs from NT body language.

For example:
Code:
| Autistic         | NT             | Meaning |
| Rocks rapidly    | Speaks loudly  | Angry   |
| Gurgles          | Smiles         | Happy   |
| Spins in circles | Eyes wide open | Afraid  |

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 2:01 pm

You didn't ask me for any such examples. Did you expect me to give them without you saying you wanted them?

Real understanding of body language doesn't involve taking one particular broadly-defined expression (such as "smiling") and assigning a specific meaning to it (such as "happy") and leaving it at that, and there is no way that a person could do that for either autistic or non-autistic people and come up with a valid "dictionary" of expressions. Your own descriptions are incomplete and simplistic, and it would not add anything to come up with an incomplete and simplistic "dictionary" to match it.

Especially since expressions vary from person to person as well as to some extent (depending on what aspect of the expression) culture to culture.

And, as I said before, there is no single autistic set of expressions that mean the same thing in every single autistic person. Autistic people's expressions can sometimes overlap with non-autistic people's expressions, too, it's not like there's always a total disconnect. Sometimes, also, autistic people merely are unable to suppress expressions that are normally culturally suppressed (but are pretty natural for human beings in general). And, as I also said, I was not talking only about body language -- social skills have as much to do with language usage as well.

One example I often give of a totally nonverbal social exchange between two autistic people who verbally confirmed the meaning later is this:

At a conference, someone I knew online circled around my table, and I acknowledged her presence (only half-voluntarily) by altering the speed I was rocking at in a way that conformed to a physical reaction to her movements and presence in certain ways.

Both of us understood the interaction for what it was -- essentially "Hi, I'm here, glad to see you're here too" -- and both of us verified it later.

I often do not give the usual signals of pain (although I'm trying to get better at that somewhat). My friend, however, can tell I am in pain, when my expressions go more and more "blank" outwardly (which is in itself an expression) and I respond less and less to other people, and tend to go limp and slack in general, at least to a point. (I guess I mean "more pain than usual" since I'm always in pain.) I have seen this expression of pain in some other autistic people as well.

If I do something very similar, but involving a somewhat more huddled-in body language, then I am intimidated by someone in the room. You can usually tell who by looking for the person I seem to be avoiding/ignoring the most thoroughly. It's not really ignoring, it's more like the opposite, I am very focused on the person and very afraid of them so I look at them the least.

If I am afraid of someone in general I'll often look as if I don't notice them (if you're reading by standard NT body language). When the CNN camera people came into my house I went the other way and looked firmly out the window. The reporter wrote about this as me "acting like she wasn't there". She didn't realize that if she was not there, I would not be looking exactly the opposite direction of her, without doing any of the things I'd be normally doing, etc. I was acting very much like she was there because I don't turn directly away from people when they're not around to turn away from.

One time I was in a restaurant with an autistic guy and a bunch of non-autistic people (noisy, overloading place, too, although it had the best crabcakes I ever tasted). Phil (the autistic guy) found out that there was an unresolved schedule conflict between ordering the food and going to an AANE meeting we were supposed to get to afterwards.

Phil started twitching his head side to side, his hands and fingers started going slowly up and rapidly pulled back, and he got a certain edge in his voice when he talked. I immediately realized he was freaking out about the blank space in his schedule where the conflict existed, and I came up with an alternate plan that was suitable, then told him about it and told him he didn't have to be overloaded anymore, and he relaxed.

The other people at the table worked in some capacity in the autism field or had autistic relatives, and not a single one of them had known what was going on with Phil. They made me explain in detail precisely what I'd noticed about his body language to indicate overload and particularly schedule-messed-up overload, and I gave them as detailed a description as I could. They thought it was amazing that I could tell all this just by looking, and I thought it was amazing that they couldn't tell this.

The reason I knew what was going on with Phil was partially my own experiences, but partially also because the edge in Phil's voice precisely matches the edge in my brother's voice at certain points in time, and it's not an edge I've heard in non-autistic people's voices ever. And the particular form of twitchy movements were also familiar. I hadn't deconstructed it into all those pieces at the time though, I just knew what was happening and also how to fix it.

Yes, a lot of this involves describing the entire specific situation things were in, but the thing is there's very little understanding body language outside of the particular situation. If you just take "smiling" or "crying" in isolation of all other things going on, it's nearly impossible to tell what it indicates. A person might be smiling (or crying, or smiling-and-crying) because of happiness, or might be smiling (or crying, or smiling-and-crying) because of grief. Without knowing what's going on both in the rest of the situation and in the rest of the body besides the mouth, you won't be able to tell which one it is, or if it's something different entirely.

And things like yelling... well it may be anger. It may be because someone's too far away to hear. And in an autistic person, it might be because it takes that much force to get the words out at that point in time.

All of these examples pertain to more than just the one person or two people depicted in each one. There are autistic people between which these things are mutually comprehensible.

But saying "rocking means one particular thing in all situations" or "smiling means one particular thing in all situations" or some one-to-one correspondence between expressions (stated in the most isolated-from-everything-else forms of course) and meanings... that's never going to happen as a realistic description of expressions, not for autistic people, not for non-autistic people.

If you want more examples, I've got tons of real-life examples of autistic people reading each other's body language well (and a fair number of us reading each other's body language wrong as well, considering that it's not "all autistic people can read all autistic people"). If you want specific kinds, I'll do my best to post them, although I won't consent to lose realism by posting some sort of one-to-one dictionary of body language to meaning.

cas
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Apr 2008, 2:21 pm

Sorry if I say things exhaustively or talk again on someone else's points, I just want to make sure I'm saying the right thing.

Catalyst wrote:
The analogy isn't perfect; what I was trying to illustrate is that our difference does not create an obligation for everyone else to create a system that accomodates us.

I don't say obligation, but that if they want to interact with us then they should try, and that it's not true to say "I couldn't understand her so she is communicatively disabled" without first trying to see all the variables and if there's another possibility. She might not be able to hear, but also he can't sign; and she can communicate well with people who can sign (at least if in her sign language), so who is to say that she's the one with the communication problem? And if she reads his lips and tries to speak what she means, but he doesn't try to sign or write to her, why is that normal but the reverse accommodation? Only because it's more common to hear?

Catalyst wrote:
Hmm... not entirely true. NTs don't "expect" us to go out of our way. They have no idea that there's a problem, and when they do, they often assume it's a personality problem. NTs "expect" to be dealing with someone who is wired the same way they are, because that's what they deal with regularly. NTs "expect" autistic people to be like Rain Man, because that's what they know of autism.

I don't think you're right in your conclusions (except about Rain Man). Not knowing that there is a problem doesn't mean that there's no expectation, it just means that they're not aware of what they expect. And the assumption that, since I don't meet their expectations, I must be stupid or stubborn or mocking them (all common), doesn't alleviate anything. It just means that they have given themselves a stronger reason not to question their still-unexamined expectations. "She's willfully ignoring my request" when I am frozen, requesting more information, or have done something but the wrong thing, because I didn't understand what I was being asked to do.

It doesn't matter if they don't understand the problem. I agree, I don't think they can be expected to, especially now when there's not much public knowing about it or advice on how (unlike with the deaf). But that doesn't negate the fact that they expect other people to speak and behave a certain way in order to be heard, and we do try, while they only rarely step toward us. I think there would be the same problem if they didn't know that someone was deaf or even what deaf is, and the deaf person didn't have the means to assert it such that they would understand. (If one had never heard of sign language, and the other couldn't speak.)

Catalyst wrote:
As a general rule, NTs do not, and cannot be rationally expected to, understand even what the problem is. Furthermore, NTs are not the only ones who have trouble communicating to Aspies. We run into the same issues communicating with ourselves.

Although that's true that there is also autistic-autistic commincation trouble, I don't think that means anything with regard to whether one side is the side with the (only) communicative failure. NT-NT communication is also full of misunderstandings at every level, even with people who both think they are very good at language.

Catalyst wrote:
cas wrote:
I am not speaking from an X Is Better perspective; if you see that, point out where and I will clarify or correct.

Nope, didn't see any of that. I'm disagreeing with your points, but you're expressing them fairly. :D

Good! :)

Catalyst wrote:
The talk about immorality came because, in talking about how NTs behave, anbuend said "This is wrong of them." I inferred from context that this was a moral statement, and anbuend did not correct me. But even if we are talking about wrong from a procedural standpoint, it's still too strong a statement to my ear.

Similarly, when you said "They don't just keep talking at the deaf person - or if they do, they're wrong." I would say they were stupid, but wouldn't use the word "wrong."

I mean not wrong as in hitting someone, but wrong as in 3 times 3 equals 27. Whether or not you know or should know how to multiply, if you perform another function instead then you will not get the right answer and (without intending to) will be making it more difficult for the person who is relying on your calculations.

For me, "stupid" is much stronger than "wrong" and I don't like to say it, but I also try not to say wrong morally when people just are having trouble understanding.

Catalyst wrote:
It all boils back to the core of the thread... some Aspies have an expectation that the world should adapt to us and NTs are "wrong" not to understand. "Wrong" here implies either that they are failing to meet a moral obligation, which is entitlist hooey, or that they are failing to follow a procedure correctly, which is also entitlist hooey, because it's ridiculous to expect them to know the procedure.

I am trying to say this: that there is a two-sided problem (anbuend has said it better in the post first on page 6) not just autistic problem, and that when autistic people say bad things about NTs usually it's just because they're tired and frustrated, not because they are thinking they're better. It's not that they think they're entitled to have NTs do all the understanding work (although probably some do think this, I do not at all think that it's as common as claimed in the first post), but that they are tired of being the only ones who do the work or see that there is work to be done, but if they don't do the work or don't do it well (only) they face consequences of being labeled bad or deficient. I'm inclined to forgive exaggerations based on frustration, as long as they don't do real damage; and it frustrates me when every difference is called deficiency because of autism so all miscommunication is autistic error (which I see often not only in this thread).

Last edited by cas on 14 Apr 2008, 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 2:29 pm

anbuend wrote:
If you want more examples, I've got tons of real-life examples of autistic people reading each other's body language well (and a fair number of us reading each other's body language wrong as well, considering that it's not "all autistic people can read all autistic people"). If you want specific kinds, I'll do my best to post them, although I won't consent to lose realism by posting some sort of one-to-one dictionary of body language to meaning.

Yes, more examples would be cool.

The only example I have from my life is when I went to my first meet-up of people with Asperger's syndrome. I was walking around in the restaurant with a deer-in-the-headlights expression on my face (apparently) looking around, trying to identify someone I recognized by a small photograph from the Internet. She recognized me by the behavior. I apparently usually have the same expression when I am lost or in an unfamiliar place or situation.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 2:58 pm

Some more such experiences:

Also after a long and exhausting interview (where the interviewer was leaning so far into me that the sound woman had to use my microphone to pick up his voice instead of his microphone, which was really stressful and overloading), and while about to be filmed again walking down a hallway, and being really overloaded, my friend and I were on two different sides of a cabinet/shelf-thing (able to see each other). I was leaning my face against the cabinet because it was cold and smooth and I like that during overload.

And I saw my friend at the other end and started tapping on the shelf with my fingers. (Combination of trying to calm down, and asking my friend if she was there and understood what was going on.) She tapped the other shelf in return (acknowledging that she was there, understood what was going on, and cared about me). Note it wasn't just the tapping itself, but the particular tone of the tapping. She had never done this before with me, but she knew what to do.

I also have a large collection of descriptions of communication and mutual comprehension of this sort between autistic people.

From AUTISM NETWORK INTERNATIONAL: THE DEVELOPMENT OF A COMMUNITY AND ITS CULTURE:

Jim Sinclair wrote:
In February 1992 Donna Williams came to the U.S. to promote her first book, Nobody Nowhere. During her trip, she took a few days away from the book tour to visit with Kathy Lissner (now Kathy Grant) and me, two of the autistic people she had been corresponding with through the penpal list. I drove to St. Louis, Missouri, where Kathy lived, and we all stayed together in Kathy's apartment.

Donna's description of that visit can be found on pages 184-187 of her second book, Somebody Somewhere. We spent two or three days together, in a place where everyone was autistic, and where there were only three of us instead of a large crowd. We were all somewhat familiar with each other through our written correspondence; Kathy and I had also met briefly in person at a conference or two. The combination of these factors produced a new kind of autistic encounter that was vastly different from meeting other autistic people at NT conferences. Donna's description of the experience reads in part:

Donna Williams wrote:
Despite thousands of miles, our 'our world' concepts, strategies, and experiences even came down to having created the same made-up words to describe them. Together we felt like a lost tribe. 'Normal' is to be in the company of one like one's self.

We all had a sense of belonging, of being understood, of being normal . . . all the things we could not get from others in general. It was so sad to have to leave. 'Why can't we all live together?' we had each asked at some point or other. (p. 186)

My own recollection of this meeting is of feeling that, after a life spent among aliens, I had met someone who came from the same planet as me. We understood each other. At one point I overheard Donna talking on the phone to someone associated with her book tour. Apparently the caller had asked her something about how the visit was going. I heard Donna's answer: "We don't get a lot of cooking done, but we speak the same language."

It was an amazing and powerful experience to be able to communicate with someone in my own language. I had sometimes been able to establish meaningful communication with people before, but it always involved my having to learn the other person's language and do constant laborious translating. (Sinclair, 1988) Here, with people who shared my language, meaning flowed freely and easily.

And in a heading entitled "Autistic Socializing":

Quote:
We talked a lot during those two days, and laughed a lot, and played around with each other's fixations, and sat on the floor stimming a lot. The first time I had met other autistic people, at a conference nearly three years earlier, I had observed the phenomenon of autistic people using their fixations as a bridge to make connections with other people. Now, with Kathy and Donna, I experienced another form of natural autistic social behavior--interactive stimming:

Quote:
Even before I met Donna in person I had recognized that she must have some visual fixations, because she would always enclose some shiny or brightly-colored object in each of her letters. When I was going to meet her, I thought of bringing something shiny as a gift, but I didn't have enough of a feel for it to know what would be appropriate. Then during the time I spent with her, I watched her go into fits of ecstasy while arranging colorful objects and looking at them through a kaleidoscope.... And while she was engaging in this activity of arranging objects and looking at them through her scope, she kept insisting that Kathy and I look at them too. Of course, being autistic I'm not supposed to understand things like this, but to me that looked suspiciously like a person wanting to share a pleasurable activity with her friends. And for my part, having seen her reach the peak of rapture over an empty Coke can, and having heard her say that metallic red was her favorite visual stimulus, I knew what would be an appropriate gift for her. I got a red sequins-covered belt from Kmart and sent it to her: pretty tacky from a fashion perspective, but just right for someone with her sensory responses. (Sinclair, 1992)

In the years since that first meeting, I have seen this kind of spontaneous sharing of pleasure in fixations and stimming occur again and again among autistic people. It is an aspect of the autistic culture that has evolved within this autistic community.

The same author wrote a piece called Alien Contact (you can read the whole thing at that link). He wrote about how he engaged in nonverbal communication (meeting over a common focus) with another autistic person, while a non-autistic person was not only oblivious to it, but oblivious to the fact that Jim himself was autistic -- she thought that she and Jim were alike (by being NT, which Jim isn't) in a way that her autistic daughter was different (by being autistic). He wrote:

Quote:
Then we went our separate ways: two people from the same world who had met briefly over a common focus; and a third person, an outsider, so tuned out that she didn't even realize how different she was.

That paragraph is intended to have a double-meaning: The mother thought she and Jim were the ones "from the same world" and the daughter was the "tuned-out outsider", while Jim thought he and the daughter were the ones "from the same world" and the mother was the "tuned-out outsider". (He's written a lot of things about how everything said about autistic people can also be said by autistic people towards non-autistic people: Not in order to put down non-autistic people, but to show non-autistic people that we, also, try at communication, and experience the same frustration when we're not understood.)

He also wrote an entire article called "Social Uses of Fixations" in the first issue (Sept/Oct 1992) of the newsletter "Our Voice", which he quoted from in the last long quote from him.

Things from "Our Voice" can be reproduced as long as you give credit to Autism Network International and their newsletter "Our Voice" and to the author (in this case Jim Sinclair). So here is a poem he wrote called "Autispeak". Please be aware that it's not all meant literally, it's meant as far as I can tell to be about the depth of communication possible between autistic people despite not having the standard skills for it.

Quote:
This is the language we speak,
we who can talk without sound
This is our voice in the silence
Where every word has weight, and no thought is ever lost.

we who embrace without touching.
This is our dance without bodies
Where every touch has meaning, and no glance is ever wasted.

we who can see without looking.
This is our star behind darkness
where velvet rainbows sing, and no tear falls unseen.

This is the language we speak
we who can float outside time.
This is our home beyond nowhere
where shadows' footsteps fall,
where memory echoes from the future,
and comfort flows back from the past,
where smiles have no need for faces
and warmth breathes from the frozen places.
This is our source, our destination
where every song is heard, and no soul shines unknown.

In "Nobody Nowhere," by Donna Williams, she describes a Welsh stranger she meets ("Shaun", starting on page 166) and how they immediately recognized each other's body language. This was prior to Donna's diagnosis, and Shaun was diagnosed as "a special kind of ret*d" from having meningitis as a baby. But both recognized each other as having a common set of body language.

She also talks, around page 193, about meeting an autistic child:

Quote:
She had a son my age, and her son was autistic. When I met him, he was running his hands through colored beads. I didn't want him to say hello or ask me how I was. Those were words for those who wanted to move in "the world," and her son Perry certainly didn't.

I sat on the floor nearby and took out a handful of colored buttons and glass fruit. I sorted them into groups, put my hand out to where Perry was playing with his beads, and without a glance and without a word, I dropped them. Perry caught them and did the same thing back. I remembered my first vision of relating -- mirrors -- but this time there would be no one to say that my version of relating was not good enough. This went on for a while, and we began to modify the game. I had a bell that I jingled to myself and dropped it for him to catch. Like before, Perry repeated my gesture but added another noise to the jingle. I mirrored him. We began following one another about the place in turn, ringing the bell and giving it over as the game became more and more one between two people than one where we were merely incidental to the game we made the objects play.

I sat back on the floor, lining up the buttons in categories. Perry approached, picked up a button here and there and added them to my rows where they belonged. Without looking at him, I knew what he was saying. These "games" had always belonged to me. Now I saw that these "games belonged to autistic people.

I hadn't noticed that Kath (the mother) had entered the room. She was standing there silently as Perry came over to where I was, laid himself out, face down, on the floor in front of me, arms pulled up tightly to his sides as he shook with anxiety.

"Look at me," I said, reading the same action I'd seen so many times in myself. "Look, I'm daring to be touched." I had looked straight at Perry lying there as I said it, tears rolling down my face as I read his behavior as one might a book. I had the tremors from head to toe and wished the Welshman was there to understand himself as I had come to understand myself.

I turned to see Kath crying.

"I never thought he had any language," she said. "Now I see he does. I just don't know how to speak it." She said she had never seen him look so "normal". I had never felt I'd understood another individual so well. "We think it is we who have to teach autistic people," Kath said. "Now I see it us us who have so much to learn from them."

She later describes assisting an autistic girl with falling asleep and calming herself down in general, by giving her a crystal to stare at and a rhythm to calm herself down.

By the way, she is about as far from an autistic supremacist as one can get, and she also notes that she doesn't mean "the worlders" are non-autistic people, it's a totally different term than "NT" and reflects her prior understanding of the social world.

In "Somebody Somewhere" she describes the same meeting with Kathy and Jim that Jim already described and quoted her a bit on. She also describes some autistic people being more similar to each other than others (and her and Jim being similar to each other in that way).

So those are some more examples of discussion of this among autistic people. (I have not read any replies from anyone, if anyone's sent them, I just continued after my last posting and decided to make another post rather than edit.)

Basically, this is relatively common

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 3:05 pm

What you described reminded me of meeting Kassi for the first time. She was staring straight ahead, walking around in circles, and repeating things in a hollow voice like "I'm just going where I am told to go." I realized she was both overloaded and in a great deal of pain, and told her to sit down in the van I was in, after which she got the energy to actually talk a bit.

One thing that drives me crazy is that I can often tell (and I don't know which part of people's expressions tells me it) when someone is trying really hard to form words, and needs more time for the gears in their head to turn and the words to come out. I've noticed it both in autistic people and in people with Alzheimer's.

And other people don't seem to notice that very often, they just go on talking right over the person's silent attempts to talk, until the person just gives up trying or gets really frustrated.

I could also always tell when a mostly non-speaking (and non-typing) friend was overloaded, but teachers would say she was just trying to get out of things and press her on until she had a meltdown.

Recognizing various levels of overload and shutdown is something I'm relatively good at, although it's of course easier the better I know the person generally.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 3:51 pm

Quote:
| Autistic | NT | Meaning |
| Rocks rapidly | Speaks loudly | Angry |
| Gurgles | Smiles | Happy |
| Spins in circles | Eyes wide open | Afraid |

Sadly, the coding here is flawed. For instance, an NT smile can mean anything from "Gee, I'm glad to see you" to "If there weren't so many witnesses, I'd be wearing your intestines as a necktie".

They sometimes encode fear as narrowing of eyes, rather than widening (although this seems more connected to anger generally, it can be used for either emotion - they're not that different, after all), and sometimes getting louder just means they're being really intense about something. (I know several NTs who are having fun when they're loud - it's when the words come out in a hissing whisper that you're in trouble.)

That may be part of the problem - their codes change seemingly at random, based on sub-factors that I still have trouble catching. I can usually tell the difference between the amused smile and the enraged one, for instance, based on eyebrow activity, but even that doesn't always work.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 8:02 pm

DeaconBlues wrote:
Quote:
| Autistic | NT | Meaning |
| Rocks rapidly | Speaks loudly | Angry |
| Gurgles | Smiles | Happy |
| Spins in circles | Eyes wide open | Afraid |

Sadly, the coding here is flawed. For instance, an NT smile can mean anything from "Gee, I'm glad to see you" to "If there weren't so many witnesses, I'd be wearing your intestines as a necktie".

They sometimes encode fear as narrowing of eyes, rather than widening (although this seems more connected to anger generally, it can be used for either emotion - they're not that different, after all), and sometimes getting louder just means they're being really intense about something. (I know several NTs who are having fun when they're loud - it's when the words come out in a hissing whisper that you're in trouble.)

That may be part of the problem - their codes change seemingly at random, based on sub-factors that I still have trouble catching. I can usually tell the difference between the amused smile and the enraged one, for instance, based on eyebrow activity, but even that doesn't always work.

Heck, I'm rocking gently now. I am content. If I rocked rapidly I would be upset? What of those that seem happy?

Catalyst
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Apr 2008, 8:24 pm

anbuend wrote:
You misunderstood my intent entirely.

Didn't misunderstand. Don't agree with the underpinnings of your argument.

anbuend wrote:
I said that when communication fails between a non-autistic and autistic person, it's usually because both sides have trouble understanding each other.

And I think this is a fallacious argument.

If my phone isn't wired correctly, and it is generating a lot of static that keeps important parts of the conversation from coming through, there's isn't a "mutually shared" lack of communication. My phone isn't working the way a phone was designed to work.

anbuend wrote:
Not because of the innate social deficits of one side or another.

Again, I think this is waaaay off. Yes, both sides are failing to communicate, but it's because my brain isn't working the way a brain is supposed to work.

anbuend wrote:
And that happens to usually be true: Non-autistic people usually have no inherent "social skill" for understanding autistic people, and autistic people usually have no inherent "social skill" for understanding non-autistic people.

That's kinda sorta true, I guess, but....

anbuend wrote:
Both have deficits in understanding the other, but because of sheer numbers, one sort at the moment usually has to deal with being regarded as the only one with the deficit, and that makes no sense.

Again, don't agree with the premise. You seem to be saying "There is nothing wrong with me. I'm just different." Which isn't true, anymore than it would be true to say that there was nothing wrong with the phone, they just don't have the "telephone skill" to understand a conversation where the phone was working "differently."

anbuend wrote:
I'm addressing an understanding-related question of what the communication gap constitutes.

I'm disagreeing with your conclusions on that point.

anbuend wrote:
And, yes, the communication gap often constitutes no specific lack of social skills on one side that are not lacking in some mirror-image form on the other. But the person in the neurological minority does have to do most of the work socially regardless. These are not contradictory statements. One of them describes what the situation is, the other one describes who usually has to solve the situation. This description of the problem is to some extent backed up in science, I didn't just pull it out of nowhere to make autistic people feel better about themselves.

"Neurological Minority"???

anbuend wrote:
If you want to use the analogy of different languages, I am doing the equivalent of saying "French and English are both languages, and any communication gap between a French and English speaker has to do with the French-speaker not speaking English equally with the English-speaker not knowing French. But the French-speaker in an English-speaking country is going to have more practice with bridging that gap because they're in the minority, so they're more likely to know at least some English than the English speakers in that country are to know at least some French."

And you are saying, "No, if that were true then in English-speaking countries everyone would have to drop everything and speak French for a French speaker. Because of this, French people have a language disorder and French is not a true language, whereas English is a true language and English-speaking people do not have a language disorder. Anyone French who thinks French people aren't language-disordered by definition, must just have an overdeveloped sense of entitlement."
anbuend wrote:

No, but almost. :)

What you are saying about the languages is accurate... in as much as the language thing works. The analogy breaks down because there is no "Aspie French".... we don't have our own language. There is no Aspieville were we can all go and have no communication problems.

Also, your paraphrasing of me makes me believe you did not understand my point. A Frenchman who does not speak English is unprepared for living in an English-speaking country. Yes, any communication problems are going to be two-sided, but they have their root in the fact that the Frenchman is lacking in the language skills needed to get by in the United States. For that Frenchman to say that the problem is just as much with the American is just silly. For that Frenchman to expect any kind of accomodation from people would be ridiculous. He is going to have to get by with pointing, gesturing, etc., and he is going to have to live with the lack of communication.

Similarly, an Aspie is unprepared, or at least underprepared, for living in a world made up of PEOPLE. It has nothing to do with the world "Speaking NT", because we don't "speak Aspie."

anbuend wrote:
To use the wheelchair analogy, I'm saying "The problem with a wheelchair user entering a building is a combination of the fact that they're in a wheelchair and the fact that the society they live in has planned only for people who can climb stairs and not people who can't. It's not just the walking-deficit of the wheelchair user that makes this difficult. If society were run by wheelchair users, then the problem would be that people who did not use wheelchairs would probably have to duck to get through doors, and would not have their own seating available everywhere they went, and these would present barriers to walking people."

And you are, in return, telling me that in order to believe what I said, then I have to expect any and all buildings (including those where it's impossible to renovate them, but also including ones where renovation can happen but would just take awhile) have to be renovated immediately by tomorrow.

No, what I am saying is that if a person doesn't have legs (is autistic), and they want to climb stairs (communicate with other people), it's absolutely silly to talk about the "mutual" incompatibility of the legless and the stairs. The legless person is going to have to do an awkward and inefficent job because THEY DON'T HAVE FRACKING LEGS.

anbuend wrote:
We're addressing two different aspects of the situation. They are not necessarily causally connected in the way you think they are (it's not necessary to believe autistic people are the only ones with social deficits in order to believe that autistic people are the ones who are going to need to bridge that social gap).

Right, but if you sit down and tell the legless person that the problem is also with the stairs-- and they're dumb enough to believe you-- they're eventually going to think that the stairs aren't doing their part. And the stairs don't give a damn one way or the other. Even if you screwed with the analogy and gave the stairs volition, the most you are going to accomplish is getting the stairs ticked off because of the way the legless are acting.

anbuend wrote:
You also seem to be reading into what I say, things that I don't mean, but that other people must have said at some point. Which gets back to the original poster, who posted many things that are truly autistic-supremacist points of view, alongside many things that are not but that get taken to be. Among them was the idea that autistic people and non-autistic people might actually have equal social skills, just applied to different sets of people -- something that has nothing to do with either autistic superiority or the notion (which is separate from autistic superiority) that non-autistic people ought to magically know how to communicate with autistic people. But you for some reason seem to take it as a given that this has to follow, just as the original poster did.

Okay, I am not entirely clear on what you've said here.

If you are saying that "the idea that autistic people and non-autistic people might actually have equal social skills, just applied to different sets of people", I disagree with this. If you are saying that I am reading that into what you are saying-- yes, I believe that is a fair way of interpreting it. Your constantly insisting that the "deficit" is two-sided, and your saying "that makes no sense" to the suggestion that the neurologically impaired are the ones with the deficit really makes it sound like you believe there is a skill that NTs might acquire.

If that's not what you are saying you are expressing it poorly.

Yes, with long practice, an NT can learn "pidgin Aspie" and even get along and communicate most of the time, but there will be times where the Aspie's neurological deficit is going to get in the way. It isn't a "two-sided" situation, and to suggest such is-- in my opinion-- counterproductive.

Now, as to the ethics of it.... yes, I believe that society as a whole has some obligation to help work these things out. Yes, I believe there needs to be education. But none of this falls on the individual NT, any more that it would be "immoral" for an English speaker not to want to learn French, or a pair of stairs not to be climbable.

Catalyst
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Apr 2008, 9:10 pm

cas wrote:
I don't say obligation, but that if they want to interact with us then they should try, and that it's not true to say "I couldn't understand her so she is communicatively disabled" without first trying to see all the variables and if there's another possibility. She might not be able to hear, but also he can't sign; and she can communicate well with people who can sign (at least if in her sign language), so who is to say that she's the one with the communication problem? And if she reads his lips and tries to speak what she means, but he doesn't try to sign or write to her, why is that normal but the reverse accommodation? Only because it's more common to hear?

Uhm, here's the problem. She is communicatively disabled. SHE CAN'T FRACKING HEAR. No matter how much you PC it up, she is missing one of the crucial abilities required for human communication. It's accomodation because human society evolved with hearing as one of its central forms of communication. It's accomodation because the hearing person can get along fine in the world without ever needing to communicate to a deaf person.

Catalyst wrote:
Hmm... not entirely true. NTs don't "expect" us to go out of our way. They have no idea that there's a problem, and when they do, they often assume it's a personality problem. NTs "expect" to be dealing with someone who is wired the same way they are, because that's what they deal with regularly. NTs "expect" autistic people to be like Rain Man, because that's what they know of autism.

cas wrote:
I don't think you're right in your conclusions (except about Rain Man). Not knowing that there is a problem doesn't mean that there's no expectation, it just means that they're not aware of what they expect.And the assumption that, since I don't meet their expectations, I must be stupid or stubborn or mocking them (all common), doesn't alleviate anything. It just means that they have given themselves a stronger reason not to question their still-unexamined expectations. "She's willfully ignoring my request" when I am frozen, requesting more information, or have done something but the wrong thing, because I didn't understand what I was being asked to do.

It doesn't matter if they don't understand the problem. I agree, I don't think they can be expected to, especially now when there's not much public knowing about it or advice on how (unlike with the deaf). But that doesn't negate the fact that they expect other people to speak and behave a certain way in order to be heard, and we do try, while they only rarely step toward us. I think there would be the same problem if they didn't know that someone was deaf or even what deaf is, and the deaf person didn't have the means to assert it such that they would understand. (If one had never heard of sign language, and the other couldn't speak.)

Yeah, I see your point here, and withdraw my statements using the word "expect".

cas wrote:
Although that's true that there is also autistic-autistic commincation trouble, I don't think that means anything with regard to whether one side is the side with the (only) communicative failure. NT-NT communication is also full of misunderstandings at every level, even with people who both think they are very good at language.

You are correct that NTs have communication problems as well... but I don't think that has anything to do with what we are discussing. They are not comparable to our communication issues by an order of magnitude. It's like saying that because most people don't hear 100% of what's going around them, the cause of their inability to communicate with deaf people isn't because the person is deaf.

cas wrote:
I mean not wrong as in hitting someone, but wrong as in 3 times 3 equals 27. Whether or not you know or should know how to multiply, if you perform another function instead then you will not get the right answer and (without intending to) will be making it more difficult for the person who is relying on your calculations.

Okay, yes, this is all true. But I fail to see what it has to do with anything.

cas wrote:
For me, "stupid" is much stronger than "wrong" and I don't like to say it, but I also try not to say wrong morally when people just are having trouble understanding.

Generally, yes. I've removed "stupid" from several statements I've made in this thread because it didn't really apply. But I think, in the case cited, stupid applies. :D

cas wrote:
I am trying to say this: that there is a two-sided problem...

And I'm trying to say that there isn't. The problem affects both sides, yes, but by its nature it resides in the brain of the autistic. To suggest that the NT is lacking in some skill as well is counterproductive, and just a little bit foolish.

cas wrote:
...when autistic people say bad things about NTs usually it's just because they're tired and frustrated, not because they are thinking they're better. It's not that they think they're entitled to have NTs do all the understanding work [...] but that they are tired of being the only ones who do the work or see that there is work to be done, but if they don't do the work or don't do it well (only) they face consequences of being labeled bad or deficient.

We ARE deficient!! !! !! Bad, no, but deficient, YES. It's not "poilte", it's not pretty, but it happens to be the state of reality. So much of this thread has been spent trying to place half the burden on the NTs, who don't know, don't care, and don't have the problem. If you are using the wrong key to open a lock, the problem doesn't reside with the lock. If you are using the wrong screwdriver for a particular screw, the problem doesn't reside with the screw. Just because they are not accomodating us, doesn't mean the problem is with them.

cas wrote:
I'm inclined to forgive exaggerations based on frustration, as long as they don't do real damage; and it frustrates me when every difference is called deficiency because of autism so all miscommunication is autistic error (which I see often not only in this thread).

Again, the deficiency is real. A person who is missing one leg is "different", yes, but they're still suffering from a leg deficit. I'm sorry if it hurts your feelings, but that's just how it is.

But as for not doing real damage-- the notion that the problem is also with the NT is very damaging. Because it gives the Aspie an unrealistic picture of the situation, and can create either an expectation of action from the NT or a resentment of the NT for "not doing their part."

ivetastedflight
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Apr 2008, 9:40 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
One thing I've noticed on this site is something that may be best described as autism snobbery—that is, a form of snobbery that follows from one's having an autism spectrum disorder like Asperger's syndrome. I'd say roughly 40% of the active members of this site show this attitude to a greater or lesser degree, and it is poisoning us. Being so vocal, these people set the orthodoxy of the Internet-based autism and Asperger's community whence our hatred of curebies, ABA therapy, and vaccination "conspiracy theories." Their fundamental belief is that autism spectrum conditions are a superior way of being; thus all "NeuroTypicals" (NTs) are contemptible conformists and closed-minded fools. Here is how we might identify them:
  • Believes aspies are smarter
  • Believes aspies should be recipients of welfare for their "disability" (yet means of superiority) instead of having to engage in work as the hoi-poloi do
  • Believes autists possess a different set of social skills that enable them to communicate among each other but not among NTs
  • Believes aspies are more creative
  • Believes aspies are more logical
  • Blames NTs for all problems

Fellow aspie, I know you are not one of these autisnobs, but the time is ripe to challenge them. Let's call them out and see what they have to say!

Thank you for this post.

Poeticromance
Toucan
Toucan

14 Apr 2008, 9:47 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
Poeticromance wrote:
NeantHumain wrote:
One thing I've noticed on this site is something that may be best described as autism snobbery—that is, a form of snobbery that follows from one's having an autism spectrum disorder like Asperger's syndrome. I'd say roughly 40% of the active members of this site show this attitude to a greater or lesser degree, and it is poisoning us. Being so vocal, these people set the orthodoxy of the Internet-based autism and Asperger's community whence our hatred of curebies, ABA therapy, and vaccination "conspiracy theories." Their fundamental belief is that autism spectrum conditions are a superior way of being; thus all "NeuroTypicals" (NTs) are contemptible conformists and closed-minded fools. Here is how we might identify them:
  • Believes aspies should be recipients of welfare for their "disability" (yet means of superiority) instead of having to engage in work as the hoi-poloi do
  • Believes autists possess a different set of social skills that enable them to communicate among each other but not among NTs

Fellow aspie, I know you are not one of these autisnobs, but the time is ripe to challenge them. Let's call them out and see what they have to say!

I never believed all AS people were smarter than people with general Austim. My younger cusion has it and he is 10x smarter than I am. He's learning the same stuff I am learning from my freshman year to now and he understands it even better than I do. I know from personal experince all that stuff is just sterotyping.

I have to say that you write VERY well for someone with a 9-18 IQ! 9*11(10 times smarter)=99(low average), 18*11=198(VERY HIGH GENIUS) :wink: :lol:

BTW I hope you see what I mean, and take it as the intended joke. :D

Is that suppoust to be an insult?

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 10:02 pm

Poeticromance wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:
Poeticromance wrote:
NeantHumain wrote:

I never believed all AS people were smarter than people with general Austim. My younger cusion has it and he is 10x smarter than I am. He's learning the same stuff I am learning from my freshman year to now and he understands it even better than I do. I know from personal experince all that stuff is just sterotyping.

I have to say that you write VERY well for someone with a 9-18 IQ! 9*11(10 times smarter)=99(low average), 18*11=198(VERY HIGH GENIUS) :wink: :lol:

BTW I hope you see what I mean, and take it as the intended joke. :D

Is that suppoust to be an insult?

No, I was just poking fun at the idea that you said he was 10 times smarter than you! :lol: