Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

dupertuis
Raven
Raven

19 May 2008, 2:47 am

Oh man, I could go on about bugs for a long time. One of the first photos taken of me was as a three-year-old looking for them in a planter. I confess I haven't grown up much in that way since.

I've moved many, many times in my life and every time I do I check out the new insect life. Where I am now we have moths the size of your hand. Beautiful things!

I haven't liked stinging insects (nor needles) all my life but within the last few years I've lost my fear of paper wasps. I've come to know them as gentle creatures who will hestitate to attack even if you blunder into their nest.

The praying mantis is my all-time favorite insect, but I'm fascinated by them all.

Except flies and cockroaches vying for my food.

dp

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2008, 2:01 pm

I think the worst thing about being as arachniphobic as I am is that I'll jump at anything tiny that moves...then I'll take a peek and realize it's some other bug or a piece of lint or something, and I'll settle down.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2008, 2:02 pm

I have no fear of insects, but I have seen my parents react to a cockroach as if it were a rattlesnake--and they're NTs.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

merrybexxmas
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 May 2008, 1:32 am

my insect phobias are grasshoppers/crickets and butterflies/moths. i find these creatures to be aggressive and they do not respect my personal space.

i have managed to desensitize myself to butterflies somewhat by accepting the idea that they can't hurt me and i can run faster than they can. i have also looked at lots of photos and nature videos.

my suggestion would be to watch bug videos in the comfort of your own home, maybe with a friend for support.

that way you can have complete control over the bug. you choose to turn it on. you choose to turn it off.

i have managed to tone down the buterfly thing,
but i stil find grasshoppers and their ilk abhorrent.

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 1:50 am

Not really a phobia of these, but I hate flies, gnats, and cock roaches.

_BRI_
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 May 2008, 10:59 am

spiders OMG ... I would enlist myself in a total annihilation program!

So I'm arachnophobic.. but other insects are o.k

It's very common to the general population... just squeaze them out with the first thing that comes handy... it will make you feel better I guess!

Nico
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 11:01 am

I have an intense phobia of earthworms, just the sight of a real worm or a toy/animated worm makes me sick :x

intheattic
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 May 2008, 11:16 am

Oh my! I have considered getting professional help for this!

Beetles & wasps scares the s**t out of me. The wasp is one of the most intimidating creatures on the face of the earth, if you ask me. I never hurt them unless they attack me. Although they won't attack me unless I attack them first.

I am terrified of insects, but I usually help them. It's not in my nature to end lives.
I remember this one time when I had a huge grasshopper in my apartment. I live on the 3rd floor.
My cat was staring at something on the wall, and of course I got curious. Oh, I almost had a heart attack.
I mean, they can become pretty big. Anyways, I went looking for something to cover my face and hands with because I didn't want it to touch my skin.

I gave it food and water. As the sun arise I went outside and released it.
I have photos of it, but it's on a broken harddrive so I have to retrieve it through a recovery tool (takes hours).

I'll see if I remember to post a photo of it. It's worth showing. :)

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

22 May 2008, 2:25 pm

I don't mind insects/bugs aslong as they don't fly.

I don't like the unpredictability of flying insects...especially moths as it seems like they try to fly into my face just to annoy me.

I wouldn't say it was a "phobia" for me, but a general dislike. Although, I could never kill them.

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 6:50 am

zen_mistress wrote:
I love insects, used to collect them as a child and keep them in jars.\

However, the following:

- Cockroaches
- Scorpions
- Centipedes
- Maggots/Flies
- Mosquitos
- Annoying biting flies
- Parasitic bugs

I dont like those for varying reasons. Perhaps you can get CBT for insect phobias? I hear it can help.

I also don't like the above ones, usually for biting/stinging reasons. But I am absolutely terrified of American Cockroaches--- here the locals call them Palmetto Bugs. Anyone living in the Southeast USA and Texas knows what these are. BIG flying roaches. YUCK!! !! !! !! !! ! I won't even go into a room if I see one in there or know one is there. My house gets sprayed often and we Don't leave food out.
Strangley, though, I like spiders ( i don't handle them, but I have caught them) and if I find one in the house, I will rescue it and let it go outdoors so that the pesticides won't kill it. Spiders eat roaches, flies, mosquitos, etc. This makes them my allies.

little-bird
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 May 2008, 12:21 pm

sartresue wrote:
Bugged out topic

When I was a kid I used to be wary of insects until I started studying them in their own environment, I found them fascinating. I have seen a frog eat a fly. And I saw a fly eat a smaller fruit fly by sucking it up with a long tube-like mouth structure. 8O

I have lots of stories to tell about bugs, but I will not bore anyone here! :D

oh oh

but i like your bug stories. you could write me a little bug story book? i'd be very pleased. i like bugs lots and lots. i'd like to see a big fly eat a little fly with its supersucker proboscis thingo. :D

Bart21
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 12:42 pm

My only problem with insects is that i find them dirty.
I've never really understand those irrational fears of small animals.
If this was 2000 years ago you'd all proberbly have starved to death because you are afraid of everything.
These days that has kind of become the norm.
Like people go to africa for this tv program to live with a tribe.
They eat meat every day yet theyr somehow against animals being killed there to survive.
I understand it isn't a nice thing, but people really seem to think meat is made in some factory like you would a computer.

Aniways back on topic, what i always did when dealing with wasps was using deodorant and a lighter to fry them.
Both my gf and ex gf are terrified os spiders, i usually start laughing when they run away from a spider.
There are total whimps.... and than there are people afraid of insects.

little-bird
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 May 2008, 12:57 pm

oh, go ahead and kick me, but i can't resist posting a coupla pics.

how cool are these insects?

praying mantis:

snout-nosed thing:

spidey:

insect shell:

mysterious_misfit
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 May 2008, 1:00 pm

*stomps on thread*

Bart21
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 1:03 pm

little-bird wrote:

praying mantis:

Don't they eat these things in some asian countrys ?

little-bird
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 May 2008, 1:45 pm

Bart21 wrote:
little-bird wrote:

praying mantis:

Don't they eat these things in some asian countrys ?

I have heard of some asian countries selling barbecued grasshoppers or scorpions??? on kebabs.