Veteran

25 Nov 2008, 12:03 pm

I want to know what a Chav is, too

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2008, 12:19 pm

jmfoster wrote:
Plus theirs people who do self-harm because they are actually depressed which isn't fair becuase it's like there diluting the situation of self-harm so it's seen as common these days if you understand what I'm saying.

I have harmed myself because of severe depression. And yes I understand what you mean. It makes it look more like.. 'oh stupid kids' instead of .. 'this person has serious problems'.

jmfoster
Raven
Raven

25 Nov 2008, 12:58 pm

A 'Chav' is somebody typically known to be a yob, into rap music, they thinks it's cool to try and copy the black culture becuase they want to be seen as tough or something...
And the girls are those girls you see with orange faces (too much make-up) which makes them look like a packet of Wotsits.

There also the type to go around bullying everybody becuase deep down they feel like they get no respect so they have to bully it out of people. Oh and there speech is rather rough.

This world is getting more and more shallow, and unfortunate fact.

Damaged
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Nov 2008, 1:25 pm

As someone who has been called a number of labels, in particular during high school, I feel I speak with some sort of authority when I say the following. I was a skater, a hardcore kid , straight edge, punk rock, graffiti writer, hip hop you name it. However, I never deliberately applied this terms to myself perhaps with the exception of straight edge. I was labeled as such due to my engaging in an activity that would necesitate that label. I was the one at the hardcore shows seeing bands now rereleasing their recorded material wearing J-Crew, which I am sure earned me 'reverse labels.' My point, which may or may not be entirely clear from what I just wrote? That some people label themselves deliberately as a means to belong, be it being labled as a jock or cheerleader or, conversley, as a punk or goth, while others are truly being themselves and are then labeled because some people are uncomfortable with people who don't fit neatly into a box. I used to think the individual were those 'expressing their individuality' with unusual clothing and hairstyles and so on, but as I have gotten older, I have learned that the 9 to 5 businessman in a suit can be himself just like the sterotypical punker and each are just as likely to be confirmists. I hope my expert analysis has helped you.

Greyhound
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2008, 1:38 pm

I hate teen groups too. I never fitted into any (except maybe 'loser' :lol: ). I rejected the whole idea of fitting into one. I was and am me. I don't need a 'style category'. They make no sense. There's nothing else I can add, though, that others here haven't already.

mitharatowen wrote:
BTW what the Eff is a chav???

Must be an English thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav

Dodgy circuitry! Diagnosed: Tourette syndrome. Suspected: auditory processing disorder, synaesthesia. Also: social and organisation problems. Heteroromantic asexual (though still exploring)

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2008, 1:55 pm

Greyhound wrote:
mitharatowen wrote:
BTW what the Eff is a chav???

Must be an English thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav

Ah.. I see. Thanks.

psychotic_jester
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Nov 2008, 4:33 pm

OK carrying on from earlier, lets talk emo. I see alot of talk about the "stereotypical emo". mostly relating to the whole cutting thing. Ask yourself this; Is it just part of the stereotype, a fad or whatever? Or...Is the rise in the emo culture and cutting due to the fact that more people, especially teenagers are suffering from more mental health issues(especially anxiety and depression) as of late? Yes, self mutilation is on the rise. I know theres the stereotype but alot of emos I know don't cut, they just like to dress like that and it's their form of expression, or maybe it's a rebellion against cultural norms. On the other hand there are quite a few that I've known that do cut, and most of them suffered from major clinical depression. They also felt that "emo" expressed how they felt and liked having a group they could identify with. IT'S A FORM OF A SUPPORT GROUP! O.o. for reference, emo and goth fashion/culture are completely different!

How many of you have tattoos and piercings? For those of you that do, Is it an expression of you? Does it mean something to you? Or are you just doing it because everyone else is?

Fact of the matter is; A vast majority of the population has at least one tattoo, and even more have at least one piercing. Most people that have them didn't do it simply because everyone else is doing it. They're attracted to it, the artistic expression or whatever it may be. You can't just say oh well, they got a tattoo and now they're part of the "Inked culture"(or something to that effect).

Everyone has a different way of expressing their individuality. That can come in many different forms. But, no matter what you do, someone has done it before. That's almost guaranteed except a few things here and there. The real question is, are you a xerox copy of someone else? Or do you just share a likeness to them or that certain click? Did you put your own spin on the culture and add your own characteristics to it?

These labels, sub-cultures, counter-cultures, etc...are individualistic, to what extent is questionable...but, I don't believe it's all about trying to fit in and conform, etc...There's a purpose....Your clothes express you even in normal attire, if they didn't you would buy cheap blank t-shirts at walmart, plain old blue jeans, cheap plain shoes, etc...Everyone has a certain individuality and style and yes, we all get our style and things from some sort of "reference group", it's just a given. So you guys dressed up in "normal attire" are spinning off of mainstream cultural norms. Those dressed up in some sort of emo/goth/[unk/etc..are spinning off that cultures fashion.

ah hell...I don't even know what I'm talking about now...I guess...nobody is truly and completely an individual in the first place. I think when most of these "labeled" people say they are individualistic, they are only referring to being different from the main stream and even just a little different from their group members...It's all mis-communication....thats all

"we used to steal countries through the cunning use of flags, just sail around the world and stick a flag in. I CLAIM INDIA FOR BRITAIN! You can't claim us...we live here...500,000,000 of us...Do you have a flag?" - Eddie Izzard

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2008, 7:54 pm

I see most of psychotic_jester's points. Lots of people have problems now a days. However, I'm really not sure if they are really that depressed or if they are because their scene tells them they're supposed to. There's probably some people that fit into either category. There is one person that I've heard that is proud of their scars from cutting. I think even seriously messed up people realize that it's not a good thing to do to yourself. Seems to me that someone who is proudly showing off their scars is someone who is doing it for the sake of being emo and getting attention.

When I had my cuts, I hid them. Because I was not doing it for attention.

psychotic_jester
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Nov 2008, 8:37 pm

On the other hand, cutting for attention is a very characteristic symptom of borderline personality disorder..............so maybe it is for attention but, there's still something wrong....once again, things aren't always cut and dry...there are many variable factors in almost everything

"we used to steal countries through the cunning use of flags, just sail around the world and stick a flag in. I CLAIM INDIA FOR BRITAIN! You can't claim us...we live here...500,000,000 of us...Do you have a flag?" - Eddie Izzard

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2008, 8:43 pm

I ilike the...if say what we say think what we think, dress liek we dress, do waht we do you will be an individual

prillix
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Nov 2008, 6:33 am

jmfoster wrote:
A 'Chav' is somebody typically known to be a yob, into rap music, they thinks it's cool to try and copy the black culture becuase they want to be seen as tough or something...

We know them more as Wiggers where i come from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wigger

Samara
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Nov 2008, 6:48 am

BPD is a complex disorder and they often get mislabelled as being attention seekers.
It often leaves other people confused and distressed to understand people with BPD.
People have to realise it is symptoms of BPD that cause the resulting behaviours and they are trying to be manipulative.

prillix
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Nov 2008, 6:52 am

Back in highschool I never fit into any sort of label myself. Some call me nerd or geek for my computer and math talents (and sleeping in gym class, Ha), but i easily had the goth attitude (without the whole black clothes and cutting aspect), and depression aspect of emos. Basically im a whole lot of all of them, but at the same time nothing like them.

Being an individual rocks!, except for all those times where it sucks.

jmfoster
Raven
Raven

26 Nov 2008, 9:40 am

Thanks everyone!
:)

Greyhound
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 11:52 am

prillix wrote:
jmfoster wrote:

We know them more as Wiggers where i come from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wigger

No, they're different.

Dodgy circuitry! Diagnosed: Tourette syndrome. Suspected: auditory processing disorder, synaesthesia. Also: social and organisation problems. Heteroromantic asexual (though still exploring)

jmfoster
Raven
Raven

23 Dec 2008, 3:36 am

Has anybody else got anything to say on the matter?